German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a puppy who has a heart problem. We knew she had a heart murmur when we got her but I'm beginning to worry a lot more. The breeder is a neo natal nurse and said she had a valve that wasn't closed that would hopefully close soon or require surgery. She said it was common and what not and gave her to us. Now I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the breeder is wrong because she isn't as playful as the other puppy. She has a vet appointment next week. Has anyone ever dealt with this or have any tips?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Got my adult GSD (1.5 yrs) in Feb., scheduled for neuter, dropped him off, vet called, "do you know he has heart [level 3 or so] murmur?" - I did not. Took him back to different vet in same office in June for unrelated issue, asked her to check the heart murmur, and her response is that she can't hear a heart murmur of any size.

Apparently they're fairly common, not necessarily life-threatening, and sometimes don't actually exist (at least until the next visit).

·
Registered
123 Posts
My boy came to me with a heart murmur but was never given a grade. I thought it might be a problem because he seemed to get very tired after short walks. Looking back that was probably just conditioning because he lived in a kennel before I got him.

Now, 5 months later, his murmur is gone and the vet says his heart if very strong. He can run for hours with the other dogs. Who knows really....as the example above, some vets hear it some don't. I'm not sure I would worry about it unless it really effects his quality of life.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
If you are really concerned, have them do an EKG on the pup. That will answer your questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts