German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
1) Why are they letting random people come and pick up their puppies?

2) Why are these mutts selling for $1,000-$1,500?

3) Why arent these "expensive" puppies not in cages?

4) They do not look like Mini German Shepherds

5) Why are they letting children come in and handle their puppies?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Wow. You weren't kidding. $1,000 - $1,500 for a BYB mutt? That's the funniest lookin' mini GSD I've ever seen.
For such 'valuable' pups, they don't take many precautions as far as preventing them from getting diseases if they let anyone and everyone touch them.

·
Registered
655 Posts
After the exchange rate it would be $745 at the low end. Quite a lot for a purse dog mutt. Perhaps shelters should go into an export business. As for looking like a mini GSD, I am amazed that they would say that when they breed dogs.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I don't see what's so bad, beyond saying they are like german shepherd puppies even though they are pomeranian/papllion and spitz crosses. The first dog looks like a cat to me.

It seems like they just let people pet them, not pick them up. Their containment is so tall it looks like you'd have to be a pretty tall person yourself to bend over and pick them up. The lady was going to ask the guy to put them down when they took off. All those chain pet stores do the same, they have the dogs in display cases out in the middle of the floor. It's stupid, but it's what I see at every pet store that sells puppies so it doesn't surprise me :/.

This is why I don't support stores that sell animals like products. I would be sick to my stomach if an animal I bred was stolen.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Those dogs don't even look like GSDs and its certainly stupid to just leave the puppies out there in the open for someone to take.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Those dogs don't even look like GSDs and its certainly stupid to just leave the puppies out there in the open for someone to take.
But the lady was standing right there talking to them :/. It's not that much different than if the dogs were locked up and they had requested her to take the dogs out of a cage so they could see them and then took off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For me it's not the way the pet store was set up, the pricepoint, or even the circumstances immediately surrounding the theft -- it's that a store owner falsely presented herself as a reliable breeder (and dealer of "vet supplies"), intentionally produced cross-bred "mutts" that she clearly cannot properly classify herself (mini GSDs? Yeah, right), and then proceeds to sell them out of her store as if they were a bag of cat litter. It's just all so wrong.

On a very small positive note, at least the article didn't dignify these so-called "purse pups" as something foolish like "Yorkipoo" or "Pom-illion" or whatever. That is honestly a pet peeve of mine. I have no problem with rescues or mixed breeds; I do have a problem with unknowledgeable people recklessly cross-breeding, and other people dignifying the "breeder" by pretending the over-priced result is a legitimate type of dog.

Thus endeth my rant. :)

·
Registered
31,971 Posts
I do not see much wrong either.

Ok, they are mutts selling for 1000-1500 dollars. Supply and demand. These little purse dogs are selling, even mutts.

The mother has some litters and sells them in her store, allowing people in the store to socialize them. They were certainly old enough for the socialization. It is better than getting them from a puppy farm.

My sister deliberately takes her kids to pet stores so that they can pet the puppies. She is socializing her kids to puppies that way. I am not a fan of pet stores that sell puppies but it is not unheard of, especially in city areas.

What if a breeder, because they cannot survive on selling puppies, opens a botique that sells vitamins, supplements, higher end crates and supplies and toys that are unique and not generally found in the regular pet stores or department stores.

When the puppies are seven to ten weeks old, after they have some shots, they move them out to the store to expose them to more traffic and so that the owner can spend time with the pups while minding the shop, given that the area the pups are in is not open to customer's dogs.

I guess my biggest worry would be the puppies catching something.

·
Registered
31,971 Posts
Ok, pet land and such places where minimum wage workers sell puppies to the first person with enough open credit on their card, that is selling puppies like cat litter.

Someone who owns their own shop, well, they can ask the questions and refuse to sell a puppy to someone, unlike the help.

I can almost see a breeder having a store year round and puppies occasionally. Buying a puppy should not be an impulse buy.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I have seen some "Puggles" and "Doodles" sold for some crazy prices.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is the issue here really that she was selling the puppiesfor crazy prices or she's not a reputable breeder. I'm mostly upset that these men came in and took the puppies to some unknown and possibly unsafe place. Its a story about a woman who is upset over the loss of her dogs, just because she is selling them for a profit doesn't mean she doesn't care about the dogs or that she's some cruel evil person. I would be devestarted is someone took Ares.
and the mini GSD thing was pretty stupid...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts