German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Have a bit of an annoying problem. I have a 14wk old GSD puppy and my housemate has a 13 wk old Chihuahua/Jack Russel.

They do nothing but nip at each other, and if let go on they start to get very wicked at each other. The small pup is an inside dog as he is so tiny, and my GSD is an outside pup but I would like to be able to let him in the sitting room at night to relax with us.

It is mayhem when the GSD comes in and it takes at least 2 hours to calm down, which is starting to really annoy us now! It's gotten to the point now where they can't even be in the same room as each other. Both puppies play well with older dogs, i just don't understand it.

Please help as I'm at my wits end!:(
Thanks

·
2,967 Posts
When I have 2 pups in the house I keep them separated almost all the time. When one pup was out, the other would be away in their crate. Crates are not cruel they are your tool for keeping your puppy safe and teaching boundaries. Most experts generally agree that 2 pups at the same time in the same house is a bad idea. GSD pups are also notoriously rough players.

You should read this article.
Raising 2 pups at one time in a Family Setting

Additionally I would reconsider having the GSD as an outside dog, unless you plan on spending the majority of your time outside with him. GSDs rarely do well away from their pack and you will find that your pup will develop a host of behavior problems if left outside all the time. Part of what you are seeing is a pup with a lot of energy. This shouldn't surprise you because GSDs are a VERY active breed. Also a pup with nothing to do outside that is let in the house will express all that energy into the activity that you give it- Playing with the other dog.

You need to give the pup time inside without the other dog. You need to start training the puppy. And you need to exercise the puppy before you bring him inside (Being outside does not count as exercise).

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Buy a crate. Your 14 week old GSD does not belong outside all day with nothing to do. And you wonder why your unexcercised, spent no time training with, no mental stimulation given puppy is a horror? Him running laps all day does NOT give him what he needs. He needs an owner who cares about him, not about' hey guys, look at my badass GSD that will grow into 110 pounds of unsocialized muscle, who will probably become 100% outside dog because no one will want to bother with him, because I Refused to spend time with him when he was a puppy, or train him at all.'

Seriously, go join a puppy class somewhere, learn how to take care of your dog, or kindly rehome.A GSD does not deserve to have the life yours has now.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good advice. Well he has the utility room to himself all day so he isn't outside all the time. I play with him as much as i can outside and my friends 2yr old GSD comes to play with him. I try to tire him out as much as I can, but it can be hard to excercise him everyday what with work. The other dog doesn't really go outside because he is spoilt and doesn't like it outside or if he's cold so it's hard for them to play outside (when I say play I mean almost killing each other haha). Ya the GSD is far too strong for the smalll pup so they can never be unsupervised.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diane ya you're right but I that was nearly two weeks ago and I thought things would calm down but no so I guess I'm trying to reach more people. Not that the advice I've already got was bad that is :)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
gotcha:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"And you wonder why your unexcercised, spent no time training with, no mental stimulation given puppy is a horror? Him running laps all day does NOT give him what he needs. He needs an owner who cares about him, not about' hey guys, look at my badass GSD that will grow into 110 pounds of unsocialized muscle, who will probably become 100% outside dog because no one will want to bother with him, because I Refused to spend time with him when he was a puppy, or train him at all.

Seriously, go join a puppy class somewhere, learn how to take care of your dog, or kindly rehome.A GSD does not deserve to have the life yours has now."

..........Excuse me but you have totally got it wrong. Every second day the puppy gets a four mile walk followed by two more grown dogs coming to visit in our very large back yard so in actual fact 1.) he is being perfectly exercised 2.) he is socializing with plenty of other dogs and people and 3.) he is very muched loved by all of us in the house. And furthermore I did NOT buy a GSD to make my friends/people feel uncomfortable, I bought him as I wanted a loyal intelligent pet, that will ALWAYS be cared for. I have gone out of my way to make a safe play area for him, and have insisted he gets used to playing with kids from an early age, to which he is doing very well. I simply asked if anyone can advise me on indoor behaviour.

Please in future do not post replies if you are not going to help!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
separating them is a good idea, you have to understand you have a 14 wk old puppy that has the attention span of a gnat, is most likely a wild child, and wants to play ALOT..if you are exercising him alot, socializing him alot, it has to with his age not bad manners or being a pain in the butt...The Majority of puppies are pains in the butt, especially if they have another puppy / dog to torment..

·
Registered
936 Posts
Separation is a good idea.

If not a crate, try using an xpen indoors for one of the pups. Not only to separate them but also to put your GSD pup in so they can be with you but be in control of them.

I do not define inside as the end all be all. You can have an inside GSD and accomplish nothing except a dryer misbehaving dog.

My last GSD went in and out (doggy door) AFTER she was 6 months old during the work day with an area of the kitchen cordoned off and then by my side every minute after that. Prior to that I stayed home with her training her. We came home at lunch and eventually one of us stayed home with her.

My current 5 month old is 100% inside and at doggy daycare when I am at work. Then he is with us inside the house except for going out to pee or poop.

He still spends time in an xpen inside in the family room when I cannot watch his every move (cooking dinner, etc) or he is being a bu**head (he likes to eat everything, bugs, dirt, etc) and when I have him in there many times I climb in with him into the xpen and he curls up next to me and chews on his bully.

I owuld be concerned about letting a 14 wekk old outsdie by themselves. You would be surprised how many stupid things they can do that would harm them with the most inanimate objects.

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
They do nothing but nip at each other, and if let go on they start to get very wicked at each other. The small pup is an inside dog as he is so tiny, and my GSD is an outside pup but I would like to be able to let him in the sitting room at night to relax with us.

It is mayhem when the GSD comes in and it takes at least 2 hours to calm down, which is starting to really annoy us now! It's gotten to the point now where they can't even be in the same room as each other. Both puppies play well with older dogs, i just don't understand it.
Since they're separated from each other most of the time it's probably really exciting when they're finally together. Since your GSD is an outside dog it's probably really exciting when he does finally get to come inside. Rather than separating them most of the time and keeping one outside and then ending up with a free for all and an out of control excited GSD when he does come indoors, why don't you let your pup inside more often - supervised and on leash when the little dog is around. TEACH him how to behave around the little dog. And as JKlatsky suggested, confine the little dog from time to time so your dog has a chance to get used to being indoors and it's not so novel and exciting. I imagine if my dogs were outside most of the time they'd go nuts indoors too.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Diane ya you're right but I that was nearly two weeks ago and I thought things would calm down but no so I guess I'm trying to reach more people. Not that the advice I've already got was bad that is :)
As I said in the other thread - behavior is not OUTGROWN it is OUTTRAINED.

You have to train and exercise your puppy, or all you end up with is an adult that acts exactly the same - if not worse.

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
I didn't remember that thread, but I went back and read it, and apparently I replied to it, lol!

Anyway, the last post on that thread was just over a week ago. Rather than starting a new topic a week later with exactly the same questions, you should have just bumped your previous thread asking if anyone else had input. But it would be nice if you had actually tried the good suggestions you got (did you try any?) and gave some feedback as to what had and had not helped so far.

As Rerun said, this will not just magically go away by itself.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
..........Excuse me but you have totally got it wrong. Every second day the puppy gets a four mile walk followed by two more grown dogs coming to visit in our very large back yard so in actual fact 1.) he is being perfectly exercised 2.) he is socializing with plenty of other dogs and people and 3.) he is very muched loved by all of us in the house. And furthermore I did NOT buy a GSD to make my friends/people feel uncomfortable, I bought him as I wanted a loyal intelligent pet, that will ALWAYS be cared for. I have gone out of my way to make a safe play area for him, and have insisted he gets used to playing with kids from an early age, to which he is doing very well. I simply asked if anyone can advise me on indoor behaviour.

Please in future do not post replies if you are not going to help!
Help? My post may have been rushed, and a little strong, fine. Here is my unscarcastic advice.
1. He needs to play with more than the 2 adult dogs he knows at the moment. When he has all his shots please bring him to Petsmart, and dog friendly events, like farmers markets. He needs to see people with glasses, hats, bald, long hair, loud quiet short tall he needs to see it all.
2. Puppy classes ROCK. I know it seems like common sense 'sit' down' etc, but the puppy isnt actually learning sit. He's learning how to focus on you while John Q. publics dalmation is barking up a storm, or the sheltie is running in circles, etc. He is also socializing at this time.
3. The indoor behaviour is happening because you are creating frustration within him. Its something that is kept away from him, he wants it badly, so when he has it its time to go crazy. Buy an xpen or crate and keep him inside. Excercise him.

If I come off as angry or snarky its not because I do not wish to help. Its because I do not wish to spend mental energy on someone who will not take advice until it is the advice that is wanting to hear. What you want to hear is that keeping your puppy outside is the right thing to do, that he is a little monster because you don't do right by him, etc etc.

And, I will post what I want. Your not a mod. But I can see in 6 months what I'm seeing happening already, and its not a fairytale ending.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts