German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know dogs are amazing creatures and adapt very well, but I'm feeling so guilty for leaving my now 9 week puppy home alone for the first time (I'm back to work full time today after taking a few days off with her). Yes, she's safe (has her crate and a safe area to be in case she needs to go potty since my husband cannot come home everyday to let her out of the crate). She has toys and safe chews and a radio playing in the background (and lights on) but I feel soooooo bad for leaving her alone. I'm actually only working until 2:30pm and go home; my husband is going to try to go home at noon to check on her - his job is crazy and he only gets 30 min total for lunch. Anyway, I want to believe that she'll adapt to our lifestyle just like my other GSD did and she'll be fine. I played a lot with her this morning and as soon as I get home, she'll be showered with attention but being such a little thing, I feel so bad for leaving her. Anyone with similar situation?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Your puppy will be fine. She'll most likely sleep the whole time. Now, can you come back in a few months and remind me of this when I have my puppy?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Oh yes, your pup will be fine. As GSDBESTK9 pointed out..the guilt is normal. Sometime back, a friend of mine kept a webcam on and pointed at the crate so that he could monitor what his puppy was doing while he was away !! I'm not saying that you need to do that...but if it will help ease your mind knowing that you can rush home if you see something wrong..then by all means go for it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes, your pup will be fine. As GSDBESTK9 pointed out..the guilt is normal. Sometime back, a friend of mine kept a webcam on and pointed at the crate so that he could monitor what his puppy was doing while he was away !! I'm not saying that you need to do that...but if it will help ease your mind knowing that you can rush home if you see something wrong..then by all means go for it.
I was thinking of looking into that. How expensive is it? Do you have a suggestion on which one would be good to link to the internet?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:rofl: She will be fine, she will adapt. Just keep it consistant. :) How is she doing? Give her lots of kisses from me. :) The guilt is very normal, I think we've all been there. :)
Yes, definitely keeping consistent! I was going to email you and Dennis tonight with more data (and let you know how she did today). So far stool is back to normal for now (knocking on wood) right after we started her on that paste! She loves her crate and I must say that yesterday when I went for a walk with my friend, I left her in the crate. Came back after 1 hr and she wouldn't get out of the crate. She was sleeping and just didn't have the energy to get up:p. She looked so cute. Then I did a trial run for today's "big day", setting up the crate and safe area and went on to my son's football game. She was left in that scenario for a bit over 2 hrs. When I got home she was laying on her crate. So I hope she'll just sleep and be ready for some nice play time when I get home! Oh I hate work UGH!!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I will be in the same boat when I get my pup. But I may be away from home for more than 8hrs, so luckily, I have family who will be willing to help me out with potty and play breaks.

I have also looked into professional dog walking companys in my area. They are pretty expensive but they can have someone come out to your house and let the dog out to potty and play with them for predetermined amount of time. I would really do my research on something like that but it's an option.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My mom has a gsd and after surgery she was unable to exercise the dog as much as she needed to be. She contacted the local shelter and asked if one of the volunteers could come over to walk her dog- and a couple of them did. They were retirees that were more than happy to walk and play ball. Maybe you can find someone to do that while your pup's a baby.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Believe me when I say that since I had decided to get a puppy, I've been thinking of ways so that she wouldn't be alone for so long. Here is our situation...we live in a very small town (in the country) so access to a pet sitter is very hard. The closest that I could find is 20 min away from me (out of my way going to work). And she's too young to be exposed to other dogs/puppies that we don't know. My husband (I love him dearly but he can be such a pain the butt) doesn't like any strangers coming to our house while we are gone (even professional cleaners...no one). I asked many of my friends if they could do it or if they knew of someone who they trusted that could come to the house. So much for friends! They are "too busy" or actually had the guts to tell me to put an add at the local grocery store. Ok, we live in a very small town that has a lot of "losers" to put it nicely so no, I would not put an add at the local grocery store. I probably would never see my puppy again and have all my valuables stolen for sure!

I thought of having her ride with me to work, but in about a month or so the weather will turn really cold (i'm near Canada by the lake so we get cold weather sooner than most). I want to stay consistent with whatever arrangements I do so I'm not sure if I should do the car option...Oh I just hate this. Next year my son will be old enough to come home by himself so he'll be there at 2:30pm and be able to play with her so she won't be alone as much (thank God). I'm just feeling really guilty even though I've had dogs before and they did just fine (slept most of the time). I guess it's just because she's just a little (adorable) baby :(

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
Don't worry about it, I'm sure she is going to be just fine. She is a tough girl if you have not already noticed that. :rofl:
I think we all feel guilty, even me!!!!! The first time I left Cisco home alone, I cried my butt off, even knowing a petsitter was coming by a few hours later. :whistle: :rofl:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't worry about it, I'm sure she is going to be just fine. She is a tough girl if you have not already noticed that. :rofl:
I think we all feel guilty, even me!!!!! The first time I left Cisco home alone, I cried my butt off, even knowing a petsitter was coming by a few hours later. :whistle: :rofl:
Thank you! Yes, I can tell she's one tough cookie! :laugh:

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
We couldn't bring ourselves to leave Abby all day, so we got a sitter/walker. It's expensive but worth it. Since she is now older we are thinking about discontinuing the walker but can't yet bring ourselves to do it.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I have a suggestion and first it's really normal to feel guilty, heck I feel guilty when I leave my 3 adults home alone!

Quite your job and stay home with her (ONLY KIDDING!!)

If only we could ALL do that:))) Seriously she'll be fine, puppies/dogs are normally better than we are when it comes to this stuff,,you'll be a good mom:))

·
Registered
803 Posts
I know the feeling. I feel it as well.

just rememebr, it is better to have the dog home unemployed than you and the dog both home together and unemployed...lol

Just use that time at home after work when you are settled to take that time and bond and play together. I do that now. Now that I have stopped the finger biting I sit on the floor and we play and roll around together.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, my husband texted me to tell me that he was able to go home and let her out. When he got there she was sleeping. So I felt better about it. Then it was my turn. I got home and....she was sleeping! That made me feel better. I took her out and then came back inside and played for a bit. Took her with me to get my son and meet her "soon to be best friend" Dublin. She's a shepherd mix and very good girl! Dubbie was very gentle with Danica and they actually played for a little bit. Then I took her to the supermarket to wait for my son to return his cans (for money of course). We waited outside and she saw all kinds of people and kids, got petted, etc.

I think i feel worse than she does and I'm a worry wart anyway and will probably worry always! But yes it's better to have the dog safe at home than me unemployed LOL (or worse...a dog chained outside all day right?).

·
Registered
535 Posts
I left karma alone for the first time in our yard at 8 weeks and have done since many times. We have super high walls and not much she can get into trouble with. There was no way I was going to crate her or lock her in the house. Now if we need to go out she is perfect. No barking, no destruction. She just relaxes on the front porch.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Don't feel bad.... I felt guilty for kenneling the puppy to go to Church on Sunday! In fact I felt bad enough to opt out of lunch out and just came home....to a sleeping happy puppy....next week I will remember that she is probably asleep!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts