German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i have a problem i cant seem to solve. i have 2 shepherds the same age 1 boy 1 girl. apart they are fantastic but together is a nightmare.
long story short the wife went out to take the young fella to the doctors and locked the dogs up in there normal place in the utility room, we have a baby gate to block them from entering the house without permission.
wife returned home to find they had broken the gate down and soiled everywhere also eaten the kids toys etc. they no better than to do this and are usualy very good so all i can think is bordom or seperation. my bitch seems to like exploring alot more than the boy and she has started barking at cows or strangers. she also enters neighboring paddocks which i constantly have to call her back for the fear one day she will get shot for upsetting the farmers. what should i do im lost for ideas. there are more situations i could talk about but this one really beeeps me off.

thanks kerry

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
How old are they?

Raising two puppies (as you can see) is a nightmare.

Invest in some crates, make sure they each get enough physical and mental exercise, and be sure that each get one-on-one time with their humans.

Looks like you need to implement some serious training, and fast, for the safety of your dogs.

More info would help us help you out more with your situation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are 15 weeks. the thing i dont get is we are doing puppy class and socializing them all the time, we do heaps of training and they understand there basic commands, we always make sure they no right from wrong but when we are gone that all goes out the window. we havent been exercising them much just yet because of there age but maybe we need to start. i take ruby with me to work 5 days a week for 9 hours a day, she has a crate there which i use for sleeping. maybe i should be leaving her in it for longer? luka the boy stays home with mum and the kids. he also gets lots of training etc. there crate at home is a room ruffly 3x3.5 meters which has our fridge and computer in it there is no longer a door to the room so we use a childs gate to secure them (well we try) the boy is quite happy in there alone and vise versa and even together so i cant figure out what may cause the distress to jump the gate and trash the house.

i do understand they are puppy's but they should no buy now thats not acceptable shouldnt they.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

As mentioned in previous post, crate them. Also crate seperately or at least I would. Better start now, don't wait until they are older. As far as what happened, crates will prevent this and remember, although they are being trained, knows commands, they are still pups. Just like having a 2 or 3 yr. old kids. You wouldn't leave them running loose in the house by themselves right? I have one and he is 7 months and I wouldn't even consider leaving him to run the house yet maybe never.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
15 weeks , no they do not 'know' that chewing up your house is wrong..Read some posts on this forum there are adult dogs that sometimes do the same thing..

I agree with crating them separately at home when they can't be supervised.

Something to think about, not only are you suffering the destruction of 'things', if they eat something they aren't supposed to, toy, clothing, you may end up with a puppy who needs surgery for a blockage,,quite expensive to..:)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I think my dog was only 16 weeks old before he made a clean jump over a 3 foot tall puppy gate.

Like the others advised they are spot on about needing to get some crates. They are also spot on about not raising those two puppies together. Two puppies the same age being raised together is a nightmare. Two puppies from the same litter raised together is even worse.

It's a bad situation for people who consider themselves "dog whisperers" its going to be near impossible for you.

This guy wrote a really good article on the topic
Buying Siblings two puppies or rearing two young pups from different litters. Nightmare Don't do it!

You have to understand that training and behaving are two mostly different things. You are also giving these dogs way too much freedom that they haven't earned. You need to do groundwork with these puppies, and more than likely need to rehome one of them. Your female will assume the leadership role you should be filling for the male pup. You're already seeing it happen.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I'll add to it -

Crate train, crate train, crate train. Save your house, your sanity and possibly your pups' lives.

Both of mine are close to 3 and 3, just in the last 6 months they finally earned being uncrated at night. When we aren't home - they are crated.

Several advantages to crate training as well. You are able to work with each individual pup. In case of extended vet visits, they are already familiar with the crate, the drama of first time in a crate won't be added to the vet visit. Same thing with boarding, their first time in a crate won't be in a new situation.

The biggest thing, as Diane said, preventing a blockage - been there done that - you seriously want to avoid it.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Also, if at all possible, try to have each pup tethered to a person at all times when they're out. Swap which person gets each pup to mix it up and keep everything consistent, as far as training goes.

An unsupervised puppy will wreak havoc when given the chance. If they're tethered to someone, that allows micromanagement (which sounds like no fun to the puppies), but also forces them to look more toward the humans and less toward one another for guidance.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
crate them when you can't watch them. don't let them out without
being leashed. "don't complain, train".

·
Registered
194 Posts
dog gates are a total joke for all but the smallest most mellow dogs. a coworker just got a boxer/random small breed mix and this thing is only 13 lbs but already can flop over a 3 ft gate at the office

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Crates are awesome. It teaches a dog down time which is very important to me. They don't always have to be involved in a activity. I don't even put toys in the crate. Rusty is crated for various reasons and gladly goes in because we started training early, actually his breeder did as well.

No way can a puppy be expected not to get into stuff and destroy it. As mentioned you have to watch for obstructions from swallowing whatever they are chewing on which can lead to expensive vet visits or even death, serious stuff.

I don't think tethering is a bad idea but I got stuff to do and that would annoy me!

A lot of options and this thread should help you:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
We recently got our now 4 1/2 month old GSD in May. She's still small enough for the giant crate we already had. I have a feeling it will be a long long time before I let her have run of the house unsupervised. When she is too big for the crate, I plan on moving her to the "kennel".

We had problems with our older dog (mixed breed adopted at 5 months). Although she didn't jump the dog gate, she did trash the laundry room where we had her contained. I purchased an outdoor chain link kennel and put it my unfinished basement. It was 6x8 and gave her plenty of room to get up, stretch, and move around. It's only 4 feet high and she climbed over it once. It must have hurt because she never did it again. She's 12 now and has done nothing but lay on the couch when we are gone since she was 4 or 5. This pup is going to the "kennel" when she is too big for the crate. It's going to need a roof though. It worked (once) for us.....

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
house train your pup so she won't have to be in a crate or kennel
when she's older.

We recently got our now 4 1/2 month old GSD in May. She's still small enough for the giant crate we already had. I have a feeling it will be a long long time before I let her have run of the house unsupervised. When she is too big for the crate, I plan on moving her to the "kennel".

We had problems with our older dog (mixed breed adopted at 5 months). Although she didn't jump the dog gate, she did trash the laundry room where we had her contained. I purchased an outdoor chain link kennel and put it my unfinished basement. It was 6x8 and gave her plenty of room to get up, stretch, and move around. It's only 4 feet high and she climbed over it once. It must have hurt because she never did it again. She's 12 now and has done nothing but lay on the couch when we are gone since she was 4 or 5.

>>>>> This pup is going to the "kennel" when she is too big for
the crate.<<<<<

It's going to need a roof though. It worked (once) for us.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sweet thanks every one i will invest in some crates. we have them separated alot but its just when they are together they team up and cause havoc. we never let them in the house un supervised and they have separate sleeping quarters they cant get out of in our room at night. i think my utility room isnt going to do justice any more.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
dog gates are a total joke for all but the smallest most mellow dogs. a coworker just got a boxer/random small breed mix and this thing is only 13 lbs but already can flop over a 3 ft gate at the office
hahhaha completely agree with this. any german shepherd with an ounce of athletic ability will jump over it like its not even there. if you end up not being able to handle two pups at once, ill take one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts