German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one for Luna and she loves it, she will sit there licking it and chewing the inside for hours.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My daughter's pup got a splinter from one wedged in her gum. Luckily she saw it and extracted it. I have not tried one as a result. Dont know if that is a common issue.

I used to do cow hooves but one of my dogs got very aggressive over them and pig ears. And they can smell funny.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have read to many horror stories to try them. Too many broken teeth. I have heard elk antler are softer but have personally chosen to use Icelandic sheep horns.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Inga loves to chew and eat horse hoof trimmings. Its a sustainable supply :D

Reactions: wolfy dog

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
No antlers for Ozzy, way to expensive he does get cow hooves yea they stink but.... when he’s a lot bigger I will not give him anymore to small for a large dog.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Both of my dogs love them and we have never had any issues. They last forever compared to over stuff that they eat in 30-1 hour. We buy ours from chewy.com and can usually get pretty good prices on them. Mine was to fight over the cow hooves and both love bully sticks, they just don't last very long.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
Inga loves to chew and eat horse hoof trimmings. Its a sustainable supply :D
I had horses in the past and the dogs loved the farrier because of this. I honestly don't understand the hype about antlers. I think they are way too hard, especially for the adult teeth. Puppies don't have that much power yet, but I never use antlers. For pups I prefer USA made bully sticks and large rolled-up pressed rawhide. (I know rawhide is frowned upon by many and a no-no in the fancy dog world) I don't use rawhide once their adult teeth have come in as they chew off too much in a short time. Never had a problem with this routine. Once teething is done, no more recreational bones (they get meaty bones for this purpose in their food).

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Lamb horns are great last awhile and get soft as they chew them. The smell is awful- I have a bad sense of smell - bad sinuses but when they are out everyone wants to know what that awful smell is. Found out about them on this forum. Deer antlers are to hard I’m afraid of cracked and worn down teeth https://store.icelandicplus.com/

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far she isnt chewing the outer shell she is chewing the dried marrow shell, looked at her teeth and no chips, I got the nylaborn but our golden retriever loves it, a little to much. I do not let her free chew it, I normally let her chew for 30 to 45 times 3 times a day. Btw it is actually a elk enter not deer sorry.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I use hard chews like nylabones and antlers when they still have puppy teeth. Once the adult teeth come in, that’s the end of antlers and nylabones for my dogs. I learned the hard way that nylabones and other very hard chews can crack a canine. The vet dentist we saw for a $2200 root canal to save my senior’s tooth said nylabones are his bread and butter. He advised that if a chew hurts if you hit your knee with it, it’s too hard for adult teeth.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I'm not a fan anymore of antlers, my pup really liked them but he got diarrhea every time he chewed on one even for just a few minutes. He is allergic to venison I found out recently though so maybe that's why... he does a lot better with beef marrow bones (ask the butcher at the supermarket), never had one of my guys crack a tooth on one of those either. We like cow ears around here too, chewy sells a big bag of 30. A small cow ear lasts Gandalf usually 45 minutes to an hour. The marrow bones last days, ill let him chew for 30 mins and then freeze it for next time. I was not a fan of nylabones at all, Gandalfs sharp puppy teeth were able to chew off bits of the plastic and then he would swallow it!!!! We tried various nylabones products and it happened with all of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
If your pup likes bully sticks, try dried trachea tubes! They're nutritious and digestible. I buy them on bestbullysticks.com -- they have entire tubes and "chips" (which they crunch in about a minute, but it's a great treat). Bestbullysticks often has good coupon codes (12% off etc.) -- I wait for one and then put in a big order.

If you're going to use antlers, the brown ones are softer (and tastier) than the white ones. You can still get tooth injuries on brown ones, but they're marrow-rich and fresher, so they'll spend more time scraping it out than grinding. Buy them on ebay to save money -- they're too overpriced in stores.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts