German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, after dealing with hip dysplasia with my first GSD (not over exercise related because I followed most all guidelines for exercise and a lot of mental stimulation) However I'm still trying to educate myself to ensure that I'm taking all the right steps to make sure I give my new puppy all the proper precautions.

My big question is what are everyone's thoughts on young puppies playing and working to get through deep snow. I live in a place with a load of snow and my puppy loves it! And I think it's great because theres essentially no impact but a lot of muscle use. So what do you all think about this? Good for him or could it potentially be damaging?

Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
What age is your puppy? I think that it is fine if your puppy is playing in the snow, just make sure your puppy is not over doing it. We let our puppy play in the snow as well and he loves it! However, we have not had more than a 10" of snow this year at one time. Just use common sense and bring him/her back inside periodically to rest and make sure he/she is not over tired.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I think you’re worrying way too much, to be honest. It’s a dog. I did everything “wrong” with my golden retriever when she was a puppy. I took her for hikes when she was a baby, I let her run on hard surfaces, I let her jump in and out of the car and on and off the furniture, I let her do stairs, I fed her a not-great food at the time, and I never restricted her exercise to the puny amounts people seem to think is acceptable for a large, WORKING dog. Guess what? She’s perfectly fine. She has no dysplasia at 9 years old. You did everything “right” for your last dog and it got dysplasia. People worry way too much about things nowadays that no one cared about before, and a lot of those dogs were fine, happy, and lived longer than a lot of the purebreds do now. I’m not saying let it be a free for all (I honestly didn’t know jumping was bad for a puppy, but I don’t let my puppies jump on and off things like that now) but stop worrying about only 5 minutes per month of age per day. That’s crazy, and it didn’t help you last time.

I strongly believe that if we as humans are breeding animals that are so fragile that they can’t live until they’re adults, we are doing something seriously wrong and need to stop. Clearly I’m not advocating that you run your dog into the ground, but let your puppy be a puppy! Stop worrying about the small stuff. Use common sense.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Fyi, with snow several feet deep and humans tracking through it will leave deep holes in which puppies can fall head first into :)The year I got my first pup, a malamute, the snow was 3-4 feet deep and he fell into my tracks a couple times and needed assistance in getting out. Once he gained size and strength it was no longer an issue.

·
Registered
174 Posts
A few years ago in the morning after a snow storm I opened the glass door on the porch just so see the expression on the dogs faces, including our Great Dane.. the snow was up to her neck.. everyone patently waited till I make some kind of path.. it was kind of funny.. looking at their confused faces.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes probably worrying too much that's for sure. Its definitely hard to not worry though after having my first boy go through it and still dealing with it. I don't do the 5 mins per month of exercise and we are always playing together but nothing crazy and no long walks or forced running. Hes not being kept in a bubble haha. But yes, I do agree I need to relax. If only it was so easy Haha. Every sloppy puppy walk or sloppy sit or weird whatever brings me flashing right back to my 1 year old pup when he was a baby. Doesn't help that I was the one that noticed all the weird things about his walk and how he moved, even my vet didn't think he had dysplasia until pennhip diagnosed it with OA already starting. Once your suspicions have been confirmed once and then you think something again it's hard to brush it off. But there isn't really anything out of the ordinary with this guy so far, just wanting to keep it that way. 2 dysplastic gsds pups would make for a rough time Haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts