German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im so mad at myself.....

I took my pup to PetSmart to get a bath (puppy oatmeal bath package is only $16). He had peed in his crate 2 days in a row b/c I got home late from work.

i took him not this saturday but last saturday. Come monday and tuesday I see he is real lethargic, barely eating and not barking. By wednesday he didn't eat unless it was from my hand and that was for a few bites, otherwise he didn't eat. I decided to take him to the vet and found out he had kennel cough. They gave him 2 medications and a IV since he was running a high temperature.

I feel so so so so bad. It is my fault and should have just abthed him mself. I just figured with it being cheap and saving he and I the agony of a bath it would be easier to take him to PetSmart. Now after that brief stay he go kennel cough.

I had to go out of town and had a friend who was going to watch hem but since they have a dog & kennel cough is of course contagious I had to board him with the vet. I haven't seen my lil dude since thursday and I can't wait to pick him today after work. I hoep he doesn't take long to get over his sickness.

Goes just to show that no matter how careful you think you can be there can always be something that can go wrong. He just turned 12 weeks old this past sunday. I keep him in the house and only outside to potty to avoid him getting sick and to wait till he has had all of his shots.

He is a high energy pup and to see him for 2-3 days looking horrible hurt bad.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
We had it happen to, he will get better! Something to watch for... The second antibiotic we were on for it (the first didn't work) made Blitz extremely thirsty, when I say extremely, I mean she finished off every drop of water I would give her and then look for open toilets.... We just finished the meds sat. AM and now after 48 hours of being off it everything has gone back to normal.

Hope your little guy feels better soon!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You can't keep your pup in a bubble so [email protected]#t happens. All you can do is try and minimize any known exposures to infected dogs and keep him as healthy as possible. You didn't do anything wrong.

·
Super Moderator
32,588 Posts
I'm sure he'll be fine. In the future, it's very easy to bathe a young puppy like that in the kitchen sink.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
We all stumble in our efforts to do the best, try not to beat yourself up- I'm sure you'll remember this lesson. Thankfully our dogs are very forgiving. All they ask for is our best and you're doing that now

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Yeah I thought PetSmart would be easy for the both of us but stuff happens.

I picked him up today after work and he seems to be in good spirits but is still kind of moping around and not the high energy dog he normally is. I guess it will take more than the 4 days it has been.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I has been a full week since I took him to the vet and he got started on the antibiotics.

Seems like he is recovered b/c his appetitie is back, high energy level and........his barking.

I am sure glad that he is healthy again but a small part misses the quiet and calmness that him being sick brought. (i know it sounds bad but man he was so easy to deal with.....lol)

Now this lil dude is back is his usual form getting into any and everything. I am glad that he is healthy now though. Barking and causing trouble is welcomed as well. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts