German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I am new to the group. I have 2 gsd’s . 3.5 yr old male and a 1 yr old female. My female never looked right to me. Super skinny, always hungry and lots of tummy issues. B12 deficiency was her only positive result when I first got her tested at 4 months old. Something still didn’t sit well with me so in December I asked them to test again for epi . Her levels came back so low. Anyway, she is on powder enzymes now but at a year old she still hasn’t gone through her first heat. I keep bringing it up to the vet but they don’t really have an answer, but lately she has been having discharge (clear/white) but no other physical symptoms of possible heat. I mentioned this to the vet as well but they once again didn’t find it concerning. I tried looking it up and one thing mentioned was puppies can get vaginitis and have a discharge. My question is, can EPI affect her going into heat or is this discharge the beginning signs? Also, is its normal for a 1 year old to not have gone through it yet? I go back to the vet Monday for her weekly b12 shot so I will bring it up again, just thought Maybe someone else has gone though this. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm not sure about the EPI, but 1 year isn't that unusual for a GSD to have their first heat. My girl was over 11 months when she had her first heat and she is perfectly healthy. After her first heat she had them every 6 months, normal and regular until she was spayed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was trying to read up more about it and I saw that some larger breeds can take up to almost 2 years to get it. I just wasn’t sure if her being under weight could be keeping her from getting it. Do you think this discharge might be a sign of her going through the beginning stages? She just started getting it about a month ago and she just turned a year Saturday.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts