German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the middle of the night, my pup (9 weeks) vomited a bit. No food in it or anything, it was clear like water. She went right back to sleep afterwards. I can't think of anything that would trigger it, but it worried me a tad bit. Should I be concerned, or could she have been just feeling a bit bad or maybe kinda hot? Perhaps I should bring it up to the vet when she gets her second set of shots, or do you all think I should call today?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Hello. Welcome to the board!

Is your pup doing okay this morning? Could she hold down food and water? If it was just an isolated incident, I wouldn't worry too much. But, if it continues to happen during the day today I would call the vet or take her to an animal hospital. I hope your pup gets better soon!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doing normal this morning. Romping around and being a little spit fire as usual. It hasn't happened since and she is acting perfectly fine.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Keep an eye on her. Make sure she drinks enough water and doesn't overheat herself. And make sure she gets plenty of rest during the day and doesn't overdo it (I actually have regular naptime for my puppies).

If she's otherwise perfectly normal (well, as 'normal' as any puppy is!
), what I do is give them a tiny bit of kibble (maybe 5-8 pieces of kibble, depending on the size of kibble) right before bedtime. Not too much (because otherwise they need to poop in the middle of the night), but just enough to tide them over til morning. When they barf "watery nothing much" like you describe or yellow bile, sometimes it means that their stomachs are just going too long on empty.

I've been doing this for years with my senior (and my adult dog gets a snack before bedtime too, now that I think about it). I have a new pup and I completely forgot to do this with her. Sure enough, watery barf the first night I had her. Several pieces of kibble every night since then and she's been fine.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I was hoping you were feeding a really crummy food and we could blame it on that!!

I think the advice in the above posts is sound. What kind of feeding schedule are you using

If it happens again, even intermittently, I might consider looking at the food. And certainly be sure it's not happening when you revax.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She's fed 3 times a day.

I wrote it down on a note, so it is something I will definitely remember between now and after her second set of vaccinations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts