German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maya is now almost 9 weeks old, and was on Puppy Chow from the breeders. I decided to ween her off that and onto Innova large breed puppy* starting last week. I did this very slowly, adding only about 1/8 of a cup to the Puppy Chow and then gradually changing the ratio. Until yesterday, she would practically inhale her food at each feeding time. I am up to a full cup of Innova and a less than 1/4 cup Puppy Chow at each feeding.

After going to the Vet for her second round of vaccinations yesterday, she ate lunch a little more slowly, but she really took her time with dinner and we had to leave the bowl for a good hour or so before she really finished it. Now this morning, she shows zero interest in eating. Her energy level was through the roof last night and she isn't acting lethargic or odd this morning.

Have any of you experienced such a radical stop in feeding like this, and how would you approach it? I'm going to try taking the ratio back to 1/2 of each and see if that will spark her interest today, but could this really be a temporary impact of the vaccine?

*(I became aware of the P&G buyout of the makers of Innova after that fact, and would rather solve this first before I have to possibly ween off a second food)

·
Registered
682 Posts
She may just be full from the Innova, meaning you may need to feed less Innova than the Puppy Chow? Check out the cal per cup it may give you an idea? Just some thoughts as I am no food expert by any means. Good Luck, Jeff

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point, I did notice that her poops have contained less volume, which as I understand it, means she is most likely metabolizing a lot more of the food.

We just had a good romp outside (18 degrees this morning...ouch...this dog is going to do wonders for my own cardio stamina!) and now she is hitting the food again.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Also, for future reference, a week is not enough time to switch foods. It should be done over at least 2-3 weeks generally because it can upset their digestive system.

It could have likely been the vaccines that were making her feel icky.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had my girl on Innova and she went through the first bag fine. Loved it. However when I bought the second bag and gave her the amount she was suppose to eat, she took one sniff of it and walked away. She wouldn't touch the Innova anymore. Now I don't know if she just had enough, or if there might have been something wrong with that second bag. The only way I could get her to touch it was to scramble an egg and throw it on top.

I since switched her over to Royal canin, but after researching that, even though she likes it, I'd much rather her be eating something a bit more healthy. Therefore I've started to switch her over to Orijen LBP. It's been almost a week of feeding 85% Royal and 15% Orijen. Everything seems to be progressing on track. With Orijen being a lot more rich I want to make sure I switch her slowly and over a 2-3 wk period. Hopefully giving her digestive tract time to adapt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts