German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just returned from walking my 7 month old male GSd pup. At one stage he seemed to stagger but recovered quickly. It was very windy and although strange I assumed he was caught by a gust of wind. 15 minutes later as I reached the house he did it again. This time it was worse he lost his footing and was unable to get up. It was several minutes this time before he recovered. At no time did he seem in pain. I was able to feel round his back legs with no trouble. Any ideas

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
I would take him to the vet. Could be a lot of things, from ear infection to vestibular syndrome to stroke or tumors-- although he is too young for the last two.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Could be heart issues, or nerve issues, or mild seizures, or a number of other things. The not being able to recover for several minutes has me very concerned. Most certainly take him in for a vet exam - sure isn't normal at all

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
It's a little bit early to be making breeding decisions. First and foremost, he is a family pet in need of medical help. Look after that part first. Assess the second part afterwards.

Many breeders put a lot of money effort and knowledge into selecting the best possible breeding candidates they can find, then for one reason or another, often health issues or temperament issues, choose to not breed. That is the nature of being a responsible breeder. So I'm glad you are thinking ahead like that.

It will be at least a couple of years before this pup is OFA'd, and his mature, finished temperament is expressed, and a sound decision can be made on breeding him. So even if the issues he is having now are somekind of fluke, and not genetic health problems, you still won't know for a while if he is breeding material.

Contact your breeder and let him know about what your pup has been experiencing, he will want to know about the health of the puppies for his future breeding direction. Get you pup in to the vet, and go from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts