German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I would ask my trainer this question but, she is out of the country until November 2nd and told us she would not be able to respond to any of our emails until then. She said that we should bring our puppies out during Halloween night for socialization. So he is around people in costumes and so we know that he will be comfortable in yet another situation. He just turned 6 months old but he is a big boy at 62 pounds. I just want to make sure it's a safe situation for him and any kids/ adults who may be scared of dogs. I also don't want Obi overwhelmed. I think starting when there is still some light out when the overachievers come out and coming home when kids are starting to storm the neighborhood. Maybe even on the porch with us handing out candy afterwards. I wish she would have given some ideas but, I understand there is a lot going on in a puppy class, and I didn't think of the question until now haha. Thanks for any help. Also when he is inside he will be in a gated off area away from the front door. So no worries about him getting out during the trick or treating, I will still have him prepared anyways. If you have any input, or if you have done this with your pup before I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks anyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
965 Posts
How long have you had him? At six months, unless you just got him, you should already have an idea how he would act around kids and adults. I plan on taking my 9 month old out trick or treating because she's pretty well known in the neighborhood as a good dog. A neighbor down the road on where we walk had these giant blow up decorations in the yard. I took her to that yard to see how'd he would react. Maybe you can try something like that and see how she reacts. Another option is to take him to home depot or Lowes to the Halloween stuff and see how he reacts?

Dress him up!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How long have you had him? At six months, unless you just got him, you should already have an idea how he would act around kids and adults. I plan on taking my 9 month old out trick or treating because she's pretty well known in the neighborhood as a good dog. A neighbor down the road on where we walk had these giant blow up decorations in the yard. I took her to that yard to see how'd she react. Maybe you can try something like that and see how she reacts. Another option is to take him to home depot or Lowes to the Halloween stuff and see how he reacts?

We have had him since June 8th. He is a great dog! I love the idea though!! I'll take him to Lowes on Sunday! I hadn't thought too much about crazy noises and decorations. About a month ago the trainer had a couple people dress up in costumes to see how the dogs would act and he didn't mind. It'll just be different when there are multiple people wearing masks etc. I think I was just more worried about being considerate for the other people. He is great with people. I think he will be okay. Maybe I just needed to be reassured haha.

I thought about dressing him up as a Jedi since his name is Obi. But, I don't think he will be one for costumes. I'll try out one though, maybe we stop at the pet store after Lowes. I did want to at least get him a Halloween bandana if the costume doesn't work out. He has never worn anything before except his collar and harness.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I think it's a great idea but just really be aware of him and what's going on . He's still young so may be good for an hour or so, but then start getting fried and you may want to head home earlier than you may have planned. Get your cues from him and many of our dogs love dressing up and it makes people less leery and weird acting around a GSD.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's a great idea but just really be aware of him and what's going on . He's still young so may be good for an hour or so, but then start getting fried and you may want to head home earlier than you may have planned. Get your cues from him and many of our dogs love dressing up and it makes people less leery and weird acting around a GSD.

Yeah I was thinking an hour at most too. Walking around for like 20 minutes when everyone starts coming out and then head home and maybe hang out on the porch for a little. I'll see what he thinks of a costume on Sunday. I plan on bringing him to Lowe's like Mei suggested and then from there going to Petsmart, I saw they still had plenty of costumes when I went there the other day. Hopefully he doesn't mind it, cause you do have a point, he will look much more approachable. I trust Obi to let me know how he feels, he has no problem showing me exactly what he wants any other time haha.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Alot of how you handle things will reflect in the dog.. If you act like he should be afraid or cautious, he might feed off that. Some dogs are super self confident and can push through their handler's spilled emotions.. And then their very sensitive dogs that feed off of every emotion telegraphed down the line to them.. If your dog has been mostly stable up to this point, go into it with confidence, aware of his needs, but not worried or overprotective...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alot of how you handle things will reflect in the dog.. If you act like he should be afraid or cautious, he might feed off that. Some dogs are super self confident and can push through their handler's spilled emotions.. And then their very sensitive dogs that feed off of every emotion telegraphed down the line to them.. If your dog has been mostly stable up to this point, go into it with confidence, aware of his needs, but not worried or overprotective...
Thank you. Our trainer always says to encourage his curiosity. I'll bring my treat pouch too for some extra encouragement when he is doing well. I like your outlook though, we will just enjoy our walk :)

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
If you have your own children that you need to take out, my idea won't work for you. But - my kids are grown and I am home giving out candy. My dogs LOVE kids coming to the door to get candy. Sometimes we sit on the porch. Dogs are leashed, of course. If we come inside, the dogs 'must' stick their heads out the door to say, "Hello". I don't think the dogs are at all bothered by the costumes. They still smell like kids. lol!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have your own children that you need to take out, my idea won't work for you. But - my kids are grown and I am home giving out candy. My dogs LOVE kids coming to the door to get candy. Sometimes we sit on the porch. Dogs are leashed, of course. If we come inside, the dogs 'must' stick their heads out the door to say, "Hello". I don't think the dogs are at all bothered by the costumes. They still smell like kids. lol!
I think I will do that too. Start out with a walk to get some energy out and then let him relax on the porch on leash. The way my house is we have gates blocking off Obi's area from the rest of the house. He roams around our den and kitchen. This is the opposite side of the house from the front door. Not sure if he will be sticking his nose out this year, but I had a German Shepherd mix who always did that! It was the cutest thing! Thanks for the memory! I think this will be a fun experience with my pup :)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
The only problem I see with this, provided your dog is okay with greeting small, costumed strangers on your porch, is that some kids are petrified of dogs in general, let alone a big GSD! While it might be good for the puppy, it might be very scary for some kids! So err on the side of caution would be my - unsolicited - advice! Halloween is for the kids, not for dog training or exposure.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
The only problem I see with this, provided your dog is okay with greeting small, costumed strangers on your porch, is that some kids are petrified of dogs in general, let alone a big GSD! While it might be good for the puppy, it might be very scary for some kids! So err on the side of caution would be my - unsolicited - advice! Halloween is for the kids, not for dog training or exposure.
Well heck, Tim. What fun is it, if you can't scare little kids on Halloween? HAHAHA!!! Just kidding. Honestly, I really haven't had a problem with kids being afraid of the dogs. The UPS guy, yeah, but not the kids.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well heck, Tim. What fun is it, if you can't scare little kids on Halloween? HAHAHA!!! Just kidding. Honestly, I really haven't had a problem with kids being afraid of the dogs. The UPS guy, yeah, but not the kids.
LOL, can't be worse than the neighbors with "chainsaws" or pretended to be fake and jumping out when the kid grabs candy, etc. Just joking, my biggest concern was people being scared. When I get off of work tonight I'll stop by Petsmart and see if they have any costumes that can go on his back or something so he doesn't have to really wear it. I'm not going to have him out too, too long. Also my sister and her family will be over to so we are going to have multiple candy giver outers lol on our porch. I'll be at the end with Obi. We have a long porch so kids won't be coming up and seeing a dog out of nowhere. I also carved a pumpkin last night of a wolf as a warning haha. Couldn't find a stencil for a German Shepherd so went with what I had! If I feel the need Obi can just go hang out inside, but hopefully that isn't needed :)

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Obi did really good, I went for a basic costume and just tied it around his harness :) couldn't decide if he was a Hellhound or just a Handsome Little Devil?!
I knew Obi would do great.

My dogs had a blast. They didn't grow up with young children, but they adore them. They barked like crazy, every time kids came to the door. I'd shut them up and open the door. Sometimes, I let them stick their heads out to say, "Hi!" and sometimes I made them stay in, while I walked out on the porch. Not a single child was fearful. A few, however, got rather upset, if I did not let them greet the dogs.

My neighbor had a bonfire, so my hound dog invited himself to the party. They have a female hound mix and 'Boh' loves the ladies. Good night! lol!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I knew Obi would do great.

My dogs had a blast. They didn't grow up with young children, but they adore them. They barked like crazy, every time kids came to the door. I'd shut them up and open the door. Sometimes, I let them stick their heads out to say, "Hi!" and sometimes I made them stay in, while I walked out on the porch. Not a single child was fearful. A few, however, got rather upset, if I did not let them greet the dogs.

My neighbor had a bonfire, so my hound dog invited himself to the party. They have a female hound mix and 'Boh' loves the ladies. Good night! lol!
Sounds fun!! I can't wait until we let Obi have full run of the house. I think that's so cute, the kids being upset if they couldn't greet your doggy, you must have some great dogs. Halloween is an exciting time for kids and dogs! All the knocking and door bells going off to get their attention haha. I live in the suburbs, I envy your Boh being able to run over to a bonfire on Halloween night haha. Sounds like a partier.

After we got home, Obi ate dinner and PASSED OUT. I'll add a picture! I think family being over and all the extra playing had something to do with it. He barked at the doorbell twice and after that he was over it haha. I'm excited for next year, come Halloween 2019 he will be a year and six months and it's likely he will be running to the door to greet the kids in their costumes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
This was my boy's second halloween - he loves it - he loves that the streets are full of kids and he gets loads of attention from them, he thinks kids are just the best thing ever. He doesn't mind all the costumes and craziness going on.

My kids still go trick or treating and I go with and bring the dog along for his walk and everyone has a great time

1 - 20 of 21 Posts