German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be taking Quax (12wks) back to the vet in the morning, but as I will be worrying all night, I would like to see what others have experienced with Giardia and Coccidia. Perhaps we may be dealing with an additional issue? We just started our 2nd round if meds as the first did not knock out either issue. First visit we were prescribed Metronidazole 250 mg....1/2 tablet twice daily (7 days) for the Giardia. Albon liquid for the Coccidia....10cc first day and 5cc per day for six more days. On 2nd visit which was yesterday, meds and dosage is the same for the Giardia and this time 10cc of the Albon each day for the Coccidia. Today seems to be the first day he has really seemed to feel bad.....lethargic, slept more than usual and when awake he would tire easily. Ate breakfast fine, did not show much enthusiasm for lunch but was able to get him to finish his meal. Would not eat any dinner. He did have a bowel movement before breakfast and one after lunch....they were sloppy, but not quite diarrhea. This evening he vomited what looks to be everything he ate today or at least close to it....including the turkey dog bites and turkey lunch meat I used trying to get his evening pill in him. Does this sound typical of the Giardia and/or Coccidia....possible side effects of the meds especially as the Albon was increased. What is most concerning me is that it does not appear he digested much if anything he ate today which was mostly from this morning and mid day. I read about how scary blockages etc are but don't know enough about the symptoms to know if I should be treating this as more of an emergency and not wait until the morning. Closest over night emergency vet is a little over an hour away and I also have a small doggie currently restricted to a crate only except to potty while he is recovering from emergency back surgery.....me leaving at night like this will stress him, but will do if consensus is I have an emergency situation. Puppy is sleeping now, no whimpering and when I carried him into bedroom to his crate, he wagged his tail as I passed the kitty and our other two doggies. Thoughts?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
You described exactly how Woolf acted when he had a blockage. Lethargic, vomiting undigested food. Finally able to pass through - barely - another 30 minutes and it would have been surgery. It is a tough call whether to go now or wait till morning - things can go downhill quickly depending on how long it has been there and where the blockage is.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Just found this for Albion: Other side effects that may occur include KCS or dry eye, anemia, fever, loss of appetite, vomiting or diarrhea, joint inflammation, kidney damage, and skin rash. Stop the medication and contact your veterinarian if any of the above symptoms occur. Albon Suspension: Antibiotic for Dogs and Cats - 1800PetMeds

I would go the e-vet now. Can you take your small dog with you? It sounds like he needs fluids at the very least. Puppies can go downhill very quickly and your boy sounds quite sick. Hopefully it's just a reaction to the meds...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to get a prompt call back from our regular vet and he had me meet him at the clinic. Physical exam did not reveal any blockage. We moved to X-rays which showed a few gas areas but again, no actual blockage. He did state the gas areas are a concern as they could progress. I wanted to check for Parvo which was suggested by another forum member via pm. My vet agreed as he had it as a question in his mind as well....thankfully it is negative. Plan of action for now is to withhold any further food and water over night and feed bland food in the morning, etc....if he is able to keep it down through the day, return on Saturday for follow up exam to be sure he is still not developing a potential blockage. Vet feels for this visit....physical exam should be enough and probably won't require further X-rays. I believe I would prefer to have more X-rays though to make sure no blockages have begun to form?? Should Quax not eat anything or vomit again, then I am to take him back in promptly. He also gave him an injection of Cerenia for nausea. Thank you all again so much for the responses and advice....very much appreciated and I welcome any further thoughts.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Blockages don't form, they are caused by something being ingested that can't properly pass through the digestive system. Your vet was concerned with gas because excessive gas can cause bloat and bloat can cause torsion. Luckily torsion is extremely rare in tiny pups.

You can give Gas X to relieve the gas or activated charcoal. I would choose the latter because my money is on your pup having a reaction to the meds. I think the vet prescribed too much for him to handle.

I hope he feels better tomorrow!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blockages don't form, they are caused by something being ingested that can't properly pass through the digestive system. Your vet was concerned with gas because excessive gas can cause bloat and bloat can cause torsion. Luckily torsion is extremely rare in tiny pups.

You can give Gas X to relieve the gas or activated charcoal. I would choose the latter because my money is on your pup having a reaction to the meds. I think the vet prescribed too much for him to handle.

I hope he feels better tomorrow!
I do remember him saying torsion as a possibility last night....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something to watch out for after parasites is Intussusception of the Intestines in Dogs . Just keep that tucked away if things don't improve.
This was mentioned last night as a possibility as well. Poor baby looks really thin this morning. He is alert and just had a few sips of water which last night he wouldn't even drink. Thank you all again for your replies and thoughts. Didn't do a blood panel last night....thinking when I take him back, we will do this to rule any other possibilities out. Any thoughts on this? Also, should we check to make sure our brand of food has not had any recent recalls....we feed Blue?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I hope puppy is doing well. If your Gavin trouble getting rid of the giardia, try kocci free. Myself and several other members here have had great luck with it. It cured my dogs chronic giardia in 10 days. And she was very sick. Good luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope puppy is doing well. If your Gavin trouble getting rid of the giardia, try kocci free. Myself and several other members here have had great luck with it. It cured my dogs chronic giardia in 10 days. And she was very sick. Good luck.

Yes...I saw where y'all had posted about the Kocci. I actually saved the link so I could try if this latest round of meds didn't work. Is the only place you can get the Kocci online? Thank you!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Oops, thought I had mentioned Kocci Free. That's my go to for giardia and coccidia.

Are you taking him in to the vet today for fluids? I would be concerned about hydration. Is he eating yet?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oops, thought I had mentioned Kocci Free. That's my go to for giardia and coccidia.

Are you taking him in to the vet today for fluids? I would be concerned about hydration. Is he eating yet?
He is drinking some now on his own and showing more interest in water overall. Also showing more interest in "land sharking" again, too! :) He did eat approx one plain scrambled egg this morning....offered a little more but that was as much as he was interested in. About to make him another one and see how it goes. He has not vomited again and he had a BM about 2 hours ago, albeit a sloppy one. Thank you for checking on us....I believe this is all positive signs? If he eats this next egg and does not vomit.. .thinking I will take back to vet for peace if mind exam before they close at noon for the weekend. Or possibly before 5pm today....not positive which is best? Really concerned about possibility of intussusception??

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
THose are definitely good signs, eating and drinking. Small meals are good.

Do you know how to check his hydration? If he is at all dehydrated I would take him in for fluids. It's not a big deal at all--I used to do it myself for my elderly cat.

Hopefully this was a reaction to the meds and as they clear his system he will progressively feel better. Intussusception is pretty rare and I think very painful so if he is perking up that would seem less likely.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
THose are definitely good signs, eating and drinking. Small meals are good.

Do you know how to check his hydration? If he is at all dehydrated I would take him in for fluids. It's not a big deal at all--I used to do it myself for my elderly cat.

Hopefully this was a reaction to the meds and as they clear his system he will progressively feel better. Intussusception is pretty rare and I think very painful so if he is perking up that would seem less likely.
Oh that makes me feel better knowing that about the intussusception....he is perking up even more after my last post. He is back in FULL land shark mode, annoying the kitty and asking for dinner. Keeping meals bland and small. I have loosely & gently pinched/pulled on his skin to make sure it snaps right back. He is drinking water more today and urinates each time I take him out frequently. I have also been watching his gums which I will say are not pink, but not gray either. More of a purple..ish gray. Called vet about 45 minutes ago to describe in case I needed to get up there for fluids before they closed. He felt we are good after I updated him on everything for the day....he thinks gums are fine and believes Quax has a darker pigmentation than some others. He has not vomited anything up today as well, thank goodness....so hoping that means the water he is drinking is keeping him hydrated?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How is he feeling today?
My apologies for such a delayed response....in fact I only just now saw as I logged on to give an update as well as get some advice on how much Pedialyte is appropriate to give Quax. He is approx 21 lbs and 12 weeks old yesterday. He REALLY perked up yesterday afternoon, last night and this morning. Back to himself and VERY rambunctious. However, as I M a worrier I took him back to vet before they closed at noon today to make sure they agreed he was better. Specifically I wanted to make sure they felt he was hydrated....Quax's gums seem to have a darker pigmentation than other doggies so I didn't trust myself to know for sure. Vet said tongue was good color, skin snapped back when gently pulled and overall agreed he seemed fine. Drove home and when I went to get him out of crate, I noticed he had vomited....I never even heard a peep out of him. Put him on the grass and he promptly had diarrhea. Also back to being a little lethargic but not terribly so. Called vet answering service immediately as they were now closed....vet called right back and said watch him and call back if it persists or is not eating, drinking, vomits more, etc. His vomit this time had very little food.....just a few particles and a little bit if grass. Possible car sick as he is still recovering?? His appetite is definitely back and will eat right now if I fixed him something but trying to keep is meals small right now as well as bland....boiled chicken and rice or plain scrambled eggs. Went to store and got Pedialyte, pure canned pumpkin and yogurt to incorporate into his meals tomorrow. My question is how much Pedialyte is safe for him...I have given him 3.5cc twice in the last hour so far?? Thank you so much for checking on us!!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Sorry about the vomiting and diarrhea. :( I hope that was just from the car ride.

Isn't pedialyte for hydration? (I don't know the amount because I've never used it).

What about chicken soup (without salt)? When mine are sick I usually make a kind of stew with overcooked grain (sometimes oatmeal), sweet potatoes, and chicken breast or thighs. I give them the extra water with their meals.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts