German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 80 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Ok, it's been a while since I've added anything to the original growth chart. Below is a link to the newest version with both Zeus and Isis. Isis is our new puppy.

Here's the new link...

home.comcast.net/~kookala/PuppyGrowthChart.xls

Jon.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Very interesting.
My girlie was largest in the litter. Everyone who sees her says OMG she'll be huge. The vet estimated 80-90 lbs. Lrg for female.
But now in comparing her to your chart, I am going to estimate her to reach 75. That seems more realistic. She weighed 32 lbs at 31/2 wks. She's now just 4 months and goes to the vet this wk, so I'll see what she's gained in 2 wks. I am excited to keep a growth chart now too, I need to get a scale.

·
Registered
103 Posts
my puppy samson and i were at the vet this past weekend where he was diagnosed with pneumonia --- during the visit, the vet said that he is extremely underweight and that he is "borderline emaciated." he is 12 weeks old and weighs 23 pounds. when i look at the trends on the "averages" charts and after reading through this log, i'm confused and wondering if the vet is causing me unnecessary worry?????

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've must have the runt or the breeder lied about his age... I was told he was 9 weeks old when I got him, at that time he weighed 5.6lbs he was a scrawny little guy who had worms. Since then he has been dewormed and is now 14 weeks and weighs in at 20lbs. So he is growing fast but he looks much smaller than the other pups his age. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
What are you feeding him?
A series of 3 doses of worming medication, a couple weeks apart should clear them.
Slow growth is good, as long as you are feeding a quality food with no fillers.
Check out the nutrition threads, pup's need a proper ratio of calcium and phosphorus for proper skeletal growth.
Welcome to you, and I hope you enjoy your journey with Charley!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hm, according to the chart, Cullen is on the FEMALE average... 8 weeks, 16.7 pounds.... I guess we will see

·
Registered
691 Posts
my puppy samson and i were at the vet this past weekend where he was diagnosed with pneumonia --- during the visit, the vet said that he is extremely underweight and that he is "borderline emaciated." he is 12 weeks old and weighs 23 pounds. when i look at the trends on the "averages" charts and after reading through this log, i'm confused and wondering if the vet is causing me unnecessary worry?????

I don't know. I guess every dog is different, but Kaiya only weighed 29.5lbs at her 17wk old visit and doctor said she looked excellent and extremely healthy. She weighed in at 38.5 yesterday at 22 wks. She has no ribs showing and looks solid. Does he look emaciated?

·
Registered
21 Posts
My new guy is far below these averages: 11.6# at 10.5 weeks, 14.6# at 11.5 weeks. Discussing this with the breeder I learned that her pups are always small for their age, but keep growing to full stature a bit slower. She feeds raw and strives to be fairly moderate in amount. People who saw the puppy two weeks ago commented on how much he had grown in 2 weeks...and pictures confirm it. I am quite content for him to be little as long as possible. We've been feeding him lightly the past few days (chicken/rice/pumpkin) which has resolved his puppy squirts, so I began adding 1/4 cup of Blue Buffalo back in with breakfast. Vet in an hour for his 3rd round of shots (and his first visit with them) so I'll have another opinion.

BTW: at puppy class 2 days ago, a man who knew our breeder from shows/Shutzhund looked at him, asked if Yash was his father (he is), looked at his head and feet, and said "He is going to be a beautiful big shepherd". He knew the age of the puppy as well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just weighed Zeus at the vet yesterday. He's 15 weeks 3 days.

21.5 lbs and 16 inches at the withers (roughly).

He doesn't look too skinny to me but from what I've been reading he's not growing nearly as fast as a lot of the pups here. I've only had him since last Friday, but I think a call to the breeder is in order.

He does scarf his food down so it's not like he doesn't eat.

p.s. There are a couple pics of Zeus in the album I set up.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, both the breeder and my vet says that Zorro will be in the 85lb range as an adult. he is all of 8 weeks today and weighs 11 lbs.. based on the Chart though that puts him in the very low weight percentile. I'm assuming he will play catch up in the next few months !!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I guess I need to measure Cullen, but... I know he's large compared to the standard... even in weight... 11 months and 90+

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just weight my dog Charlie (male) at the Vet today. 74 pounds at 10 months old. Still fairly lean. I wonder when he will start filling out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Notorious D.O.G. was 17.5 lbs when we got him. I think he was about 8 1/2 weeks old. At 9 1.2 weeks old he is 20.5 lbs.

61 - 80 of 272 Posts