German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Very cool to watch him grow! He is one week younger than Kujo (who is driving me nuts lately too) and very comparable in size. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/01_smile.gif

·
Registered
541 Posts
This is really cool. I tracked my last gsd up until 14 mos. I wish I could find that paper. Chase is underweight according to the average chart. He was only 22lb at 3.5 months. He didn't really eat much until I started feeding raw. Tomorrow we go to the vet, so I'll have a good idea how much he's gained in 4 wks. he feels a little heavy to pick up.

by the by, I do track height. i make little noches on the wall like people do for their kids:)

·
Registered
218 Posts
My foster pup, Journey, is from a cruelty and neglect case. At 15 weeks he is only 27lbs. He is a good weight for his size to look at him. Has anyone ever had experience with helping a puppy "catch up"? I know with other large breed dogs, you do not want them to grow too fast? Is it the same with GSD's? His body might be small but I never seen such an attidue. He is already challenging our 5 year old alpha male, Silas.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
They CAN grow too fast........so just feed him a normal healthy diet. Right now you want his genetics to catch up to the love, diet and exercise he's getting. If there IS permanent damage from his early days, that's done. But you can make it the best you can with all the normal food, exercise, and training/socialization in the future!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Chase was only 22lb at 14 weeks. He seems to have an irritable bowel problem, and had diarrhea for at least a month. He didn't really want to eat kibble. He started gaining weight when I started raw in April. He's now at 32lb at 4 mos, and think he will do ok now. I've increased his food to 4%. He is 19inches, which is not bad. He feels more than 32lbs and he looks ok to me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
looks like his growth slowed downed tremendously over the last two months better states the theory they all grow at different rates still a big boy though

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Originally Posted By: daviddrenalooks like his growth slowed downed tremendously over the last two months better states the theory they all grow at different rates still a big boy though
Do you mean Zeus? If so, yep. Not sure why but he has been outdoors constantly for the last couple of months. He is still eating but seems to leave some of his dry food in the bowl more often than not. We'll keep weighing him every week at the Vet's office and see what happens. He's strong as a Ox and crazy active so everything seems just fine.

Jon.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Hey I just downloaded this for my upcoming pup! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have been keeping track using the chart. I know all dogs are different but it is interesting to see where Shayla fits. Last month - 4 months - she was spot on at 36.8 lbs. Now at 5 months she is just passed - 47.7 lbs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I wonder how many people have downloaded this spreadsheet? Would it be worth the time to write a small program to do the same thing? Something easier to use and not require a program like Excel to use it? A couple of lines where you can enter your dogs name, birth date, weights and the date etc.

Jon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just wanted to say thank you we've downloaded this and have started using it on Clouseau. Since he's our first shepherd this is a really useful guide. He's a little under the average at the moment, but as long he he stays on a similar curve we know he'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
How are you all counting months? 4 weeks=1 month or an actual month (as in May 11 to June 11=1 month)? Flash is 12 weeks and now 20.4 pounds which puts him considerably below the curve. That's fine by me, I like slow and steady, but I know if I waited until the 11th (3 months old by actual months) he would be closer to the standard.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
jesusica, too funny... when I was tracking my puppies growth I was confused about the same 'what is a month?'.

I used whatever way made my puppy more normal

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking I'll do too. In ten days he gained exactly 3 pounds so I know in eight more days he will have gained quite a bit more weight but will still be pretty far below the growth chart (chart says 31.3 and like I said he's only 20.4). He's growing like a weed, though, and I can't imagine him being 10 pounds heavier than he is at this age!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Jesusica, the spreadsheet is using the default Microsoft formula to calculate the year, month and days. A month is a "calendar" month. For example, Zeus was born on 9/6/2006. He was one month old on 10/6/2006 etc. The formula does not actually count the days and weeks that pass.

Jon.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Originally Posted By: jesusicaYeah, that's what I'm thinking I'll do too. In ten days he gained exactly 3 pounds so I know in eight more days he will have gained quite a bit more weight but will still be pretty far below the growth chart (chart says 31.3 and like I said he's only 20.4). He's growing like a weed, though, and I can't imagine him being 10 pounds heavier than he is at this age!
You know, don't worry about that. My pup has always been a little on the small side... was always about 10 lbs. under what the chart said. And slowly she's caught up. At 11 months she weighs 59 lbs, which is 4 lbs. under what the chart says. I expect her to be about 65 lbs by the time she's full grown, which is about what her breeder and I had discussed.

The important thing is that he is growing and developing steadily, and that he isn't heavier than he's supposed to, for orthopedic reasons. Trying to 'match' the chart is not worth stressing over

21 - 40 of 272 Posts