German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl, Elly, is 4 months old, I've had her for 1 month or so. She has become part of the pack, she is doing good in all departments, except that she will not play with me. She will play by herself just fine (she loves squeaky toys), but as soon as I pick up a toy she stops and just sits at my feet or in my lap.. She will not take a toy from my hands, even when offered, so no tug of war, she will not chase a toy when tossed or rolled. She just wants to lick my hands and squirm around on the floor next to me.

Any ideas on what is going on? Everyone says "play comes before obedience." But I can not get her to play...
She does "sit", "come", and she's getting the hang of "down"

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes for sure it's play before OB. She is way too young to be teaching OB without play.
I am thinking if you get 2 squeeky toys she like and while she is playing with one move away from her and make noise with the 2nd toy in your hand and see if she comes to investigate that one. If she does, drop it and go back to the other one and do the same....just trying to think of ways to encourage her to play.
I am sure something will trigger the instinct to chase a toy and you have to experiment to see what it is....even if she has low toy drive there has to be a way she likes to play.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for these ideas, I have been trying them all, we take it one day at a time. She still doesn't seem very interested in the toys, but I have not tried dragging, I will do that next. She seems very good driven, can I do something with that?

·
Registered
742 Posts
It might seem very counter-intuitive.... but dogs and puppies especially don't like things that are given to them. It is the chase and the capture that they love.

Something to try.... Instead of or giving her the toy, try tossing it a few feet away so that she can chase after it and catch it. Once she has that toy, you can start playing with another until you have attention and they toss it the other way. After a few tries, she will start to look like a baby lion.

Several people have mentioned flirt poles. I liked to use a terry cloth towel and pieces of soft suede attached by a string to a piece of PVC pipe to get Ole started. It can take a while for puppies to get used to different textures in their mouths.

And just maybe she won't like playing with toys. Some dogs don't.

Reactions: Elly'sMom

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Maybe. A game I play with one of my dogs is to toss little bits of treats for her to find. When she locates one she rushes back to me to touch my closed fist with her nose to get another treat. She doesn't care for toys,but she enjoys running back and forth for tiny bits of food.

Reactions: Elly'sMom
1 - 10 of 10 Posts