German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Is it OK to mix liver spread to your puppy's dog food?
If you mean something like Oscar Meyer Liver Sausage (Braunschweiger) or similar then NO I would not use it.

Ingredients: Pork Livers, Pork, Salt (2 ounces = 630 MG!!!), Water, Contains Less Than2% Of Corn Syrup (sugar), Dried Onions (in large amount poisonous to dogs), Dextrose (more sugar), Flavor, Sodium Nitrite (see below).

"In the dog’s body, sodium nitrates can produce carcinogenic compounds called nitrosamines.” Liz Palika, The Consumer’s Guide to Dog Food
"When nitrites and amino acids are present, carcinogenic compounds called nitrosamines can form during high heat cooking." authoritynutrition.com

A healthy choice would be using a topper like raw or cooked ground beef, turkey or chicken mixed with some water and the kibble and let set for 15 minutes before feeding. Refrigerate any leftovers.

OR
a commercially made product:
[FONT=&quot]*The Honest Kitchen Proper Toppers
· 100% Human Grade
· Nothing from China
· No Preservitives
· No GMO’s
· No By Products
· No Corn, Wheat or Soy
https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/proper-toppers
[/FONT]
To Purchase: https://www.chewy.com/s?query=the+honest+kitchen+proper+toppers&nav-submit-button=

[FONT=&quot]*Stella & Chewy’s Meal Mixers:

· No added hormones or antibiotics
· No grains or fillers
· No gluten
· No artifical preservatives or colorings
https://www.stellaandchewys.com/products/dog-mixers/
[/FONT]
To Purchase: https://www.chewy.com/s?query=stella+and+chewy's+meal+mixers&nav-submit-button=

Moms :)

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I was explaining this to someone just the other day .
A raw feeder who likes to "do" things for her dog , putting "love" into it , nurture and care.

She will take a stockpot and cram it full of beef necks - bring to roiling boil for about 20 minutes , then reduce to a low simmer for a few hours till the liquid becomes reduced . Bones removed . Liquid cooled overnight in fridge .
Next morning she has a gelatinous bone broth which she puts into small size containers and put into freezer .

She takes some beef liver . Boils it . Blitzs the liver and liquid , puts into silicone freezer tray . When frozen she pops them out and puts them into a zip lock baggie.

It doesn't take a lot of time because the batch you make could last you 2 weeks or more.

Her food prep includes getting the basic raw ground meat with bones and organ meat portion out..

The bone broth and the chunk of frozen liver mix are thawed , sometimes warmed just to blood temperature . In goes the Feed-Sentials and this "broth" is her top dressing .

this was a rescue Dobe that was skin and bones . You could see the bones of his spine and hips protruding.
Very fussy eater . Suspicious of food .

now he is all boy-dog buff and loves doing agility in that deer like leaping ability that happy Dobes have.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Agis seems to be a picky eater. We switched to Fromm's large breed puppy maybe a week and a half ago? He ate it like a champ at first. He now will eat only part of his bowl then get distracted. Hand feeding helps a bit but he still loses interest.

He eats some of the food, so I don't think it's spoiled? We store it in a bin with a closed lid.

This morning I was like 'Dude, you've GOT to eat' so I grabbed a can of Wellness Core 95% chicken (with broccoli) we had from when Neb had something going on and got to eat wet. Mixed some in with his kibble and he finished all but 10 pieces.

He DID want some of the cat kibble :rolleyes:

He gained 1lb from Wednesday to Friday despite becoming picky Thursday morning...but I want him to continue gaining. He's now 17.5 weeks and 22.7lbs (a mix, he's not underweight). Full of energy. I thought perhaps he was at the end of a growth spurt and just wasn't as hungry, but he put on a lb in 2 and a bit days! Given his overall weight I'd say that's significant.

Do you guys agree he sounds picky? Or should I be concerned with something else?

We have a trainer coming to our house tomorrow (Sunday) for a training session with lots of treats and I'm concerned that despite them being hot dogs he'll lose interest. He's never been as food motivated compared to Neb and Xerxes (both who are either part beagle with a bit of lab, or a beagle haha so interest in food kinda goes with the territory) or even Luc or Teagan. When we first had him and he'd refuse to walk outside I tried using food to get him to walk and he figured it out after two treats and was like 'Nope, don't need the treats THAT badly, I'd rather lie down'.

·
Super Moderator
4,744 Posts
pups go through phases of being picky. My big-boy would turn his nose up at food he recently enjoyed and it worried my sweetheart. But after a couple of days he ate again. So long as your pup is healthy try not to give in to the picky eater ploy. I also made breakfast much much smaller, saving food as a reward for learning new tasks and then dinner, with a full tummy helping my pup relax for the night.

as far as using food as a reward, usually it works, but just think...in this situation would a chocolate cup cake convince me to do it? Or would you say, "gee thanks, I'll have that cupcake later".

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
pups go through phases of being picky. My big-boy would turn his nose up at food he recently enjoyed and it worried my sweetheart. But after a couple of days he ate again. So long as your pup is healthy try not to give in to the picky eater ploy. I also made breakfast much much smaller, saving food as a reward for learning new tasks and then dinner, with a full tummy helping my pup relax for the night.

as far as using food as a reward, usually it works, but just think...in this situation would a chocolate cup cake convince me to do it? Or would you say, "gee thanks, I'll have that cupcake later".
You clearly don't know my love for cupcakes or self-control! Heh!

That makes me feel a lot better than it's just a phase. Hopefully. He's still healthy and full of energy...it's just so foreign to me to have a dog turn up his nose at food! All previous four have always been good eaters.

·
Super Moderator
4,744 Posts
My GSD pup was my first picky eater. Thank goodness for forums like this and a good mentor that I could talk to face to face. Side note, my big-boy, as a pup, like bananas. Now at 6 he doesn't but he is starting to enjoy raw carrots.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Someone on a Rottie forum suggested he could be teething....we shall see. I gave him a small amount of wet this morning as our trainer is coming by and she wants him hungry!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Agis is not picky, I believe.

Nor is he teething.

Saturday we took him hiking and he puked in the car. We put that down to the puppy motion sickness, first time on a highway. Xerxes puked Saturday and had diarrhea, we fasted Xerxes and he's been fine if gassy since.

Sunday the trainer came. Agis refused hot dogs. He trained with our regular treats for awhile before refusing food. By then our session was done though. 45 minutes later he started vomiting - puked 5 times in 30-40 minutes. I took him to the e-vet, who thought given that Agis was off since Thursday and didn't have diarrhea that he and Xerxes were a coincidence. Did x-rays to check for obstructions (nothing obvious; some gas), and CBC (WBC to check for parvo and infections - Agis gets his last booster Thursday). All normal. Got fluids, a cerenia shot, and went home with gastro food. Started eating again and keeping food down.

Our dog walker texts me this morning. One of the big dogs puked undigested kibble. I figure it's Xerxes and go, okay, this is a stomach bug, get in touch with the vet. I get home, open the door, step in some pee. Neb drinks absurd amounts when nauseous. Neb's bed has been puked on. Neb is the one who is sick today. Take NEB to the vet instead - he is nauseous on palpitation, full of gas, get a cerenia shot, we go home with some and pick up some Gas X on the way home. Gastro food for the whole family!

So, while Agis doesn't have huge food drive, he's probably been not eating due to being sick.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I’ve never had a picky eater, very opposite but if my dog did not want to eat in the allowed time I pick up food and give at next meal. If still not eating pick up and do the same. I’ve never seen a dog or pup let themselves starve unless they have underlying medical issue. If my dogs don’t eat a meal there is something g very wrong.

·
Registered
984 Posts
If your puppy is picky as eater and has been vet cleared as healthy.....then you are feeding too much and too often. The dog is not hungry when the food gets delivered or has access to food ongoing....both of these things will reinforce a picky eater.
Forgot to add, trying diff foods adding wet, chicken beef etc is just creating a picky eater.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My girlfriend and I have a 10 month old Shep, Rhea, who has always cleaned her bowl ever since she was a puppy. Recently (maybe last month or so) she has been a little weird as far as breakfast (so, we tell her "wait" before we give her food and once we say "ok" she normally BOLTS to her food) but now she kind of just sits there and does kind of like a miserable walk to her food and barely eats it (usually has a few bites left). Dinner has slowly been the same thing. Keep in mind we've always fed her only kibble. (We usually keep chicken drumsticks or beef shoulders in the freezer for when she was being extra good outside, at the park, training her, etc. With these recent feeding issues, we bought some raw beef and started to put a little bit in her breakfast and dinner. Low and behold, she immediately bolts to her food again when given the command. PROBLEM SOLVED!! (Kinda). This has been good for maybe about 3 weeks to which now she doesn't eat AT ALL. These past two days, out of the 4 meals she was suppose to have, she made had half of 1 meal (little nibbles from each meal made it roughly half a meal). Similarly like others mentioned above, she eats her training treats, her beef/chicken treats I mentioned above and THATS IT. We took her to the vet after we had the first eating issue and the vet said that she is perfectly healthy. One thing that I do notice that seems to work is having a second dog near her when she eats (She gets super jealous and Ill explain what I mean). First, she is not an aggressive eater. Since she was a puppy, when we fed her we would stick our hands in the bowl and mess with it, take the bowl from her for a few seconds and give it back, etc. just so that she doesn't get crazy if I, my girlfriend, or whomever would walk past her during dinner/breakfast. My girlfriend's dad had a very handsome, but very chonky red lab. Our Rhea and the Red lab, Henry, are best of friends. When it came time to eating, we'd separate the two because Henry would always want more food and go straight to Rhea's bowl after. Rhea would never finish her food because she just wants to play (also this was during her eating problem) now that her best friend is here. Once Rhea left her food bowl, Henry would swoop by and start munching on it to which Rhea notices and bolts back to her food and eats it all. She doesnt bite, growl or snarl, but only wants no one to touch her things (including the food she refuses to eat). She now she finally eats her food. I'm not saying getting a second dog is a solution, but I don't think Rhea would mind a brother or sister in the future. :D

41 - 51 of 51 Posts