German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Bear can be picky too. I finally found a decent puppy food with a kibble big enough for him to chew.

The last one had tiny little bits, and he sucked it up and swallowed by the mouthful. Every third or so mouthful he choked and had to spit it out and try again. ChompGulpChompGulp Chomp *hack* (repeat)

What I do to increase interest is to supplement weekly with sardines in oil a couple of times a week, and deglaze my cooking pans. "Aha!" you say,
"Wot is that then?"

When I'm finished cooking whatever it is that we are eating, I will pour a bit of water into the pans and boil off the sauce/grease/meat stickies into a thin soup and pour that over the three bowls of food for the doggies.

Not for anything super spicy of course, but those nights when pan boilings are not suitable the sardines come out. Cheap sardines in oil, bulk pack buy about a dollar a can split amongst three dogs.

Three benefits,

One - doggies eat dinner with interest,
Two - it doesn't cost anything extra in time or cash, and
Three - It makes my two teenagers happy as well. It SAVES time in the fact that the dishes are easier to do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pup doesn't want to eat...

Hi Everyone,

Rex is my 13 week old puppy and he has suddenly stopped showing interest in his food. I brought him in to see our vet because of a runny nose and itch that he had, but those symptoms are going away and the vet noticed that he was getting a little skinny. :confused:

Right now the only way Rex will eat is if I have his kibble in my hand or I drop the kibble onto the kitchen floor in front of him. I tried mixing in canned food with his kibble and that worked for a few days but now he is back to not wanting to eat. The only way he would eat this morning was when I had his canned food mixed with his kibble on the spoon I used. He ate about a quarter of his food then stopped.

Since Rex is still a puppy, I do not want him missing out on his meals and the nutrients that he needs, but I do not know what to do. Should I go back to taking away his food bowl after 15 minutes even if he hasn't touched his food? Should I try a different brand of food?

When I first got Rex, he was eating Kahoots Lamb mix and I switched him over to Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy food. Should I try going back to his old food? I have had him now for 6 weeks and it seems odd that he would suddenly not want his food anymore.

As far as his behavior goes, he is still his high energy self. He loves playing with his toys and was running around the house last night even though he didn't want to eat his food.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :help: I love Rex and just want to make sure that I am doing everything I can to make sure he is a healthy and happy GSD puppy. Thanks!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
If your puppy is picky as eater and has been vet cleared as healthy.....then you are feeding too much and too often. The dog is not hungry when the food gets delivered or has access to food ongoing....both of these things will reinforce a picky eater.
Abby was/is a picky eater so I put her on free feeding. I kept/keep a cup and a half of kibble in her bowl and when that is gone I put in another cup and a half. I don't fret because I know she won't starve herself. She has maintained a perfect weight for her build since she was a pup, so says the vet. She is slender but her ribs and hips are well padded. Evidence is the photos in her album attached to my avatar.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I see that having a picky eater is a common problem.
my 6 month old GSD mix, Sophie, was eating all of her puppy kibble, Now! by petcurean, within 10 minutes of placing it in the bowl. A week ago, I bought a new bag of Now! and she barely sniffed it. I took her food away 30 minutes after i placed it in the bowl and did not give her any treats for 2 days and it didn't work. Today I am trying the free feeding method, but she has only eaten 1 cup. Every time I have food she comes to beg for food, but i don't give her any. What is troubling me is that I am flying to visit my family and I can not take her with me on the plane... Too much money and I don't want to traumatize her with the change in pressure. I am leaving her behind with a friend that has 2 dogs, but i am not sure if he will take the time to feed her, or if his dogs will eat her kibble.
I will go buy some wet puppy food from Petsmart to mix with her kibble. Hopefully that works until I come back and test some more methods.
Btw, I have given my puppy Nutri-cal for her the necessary nutrients, is that contributing to her pickiness?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Bear can be picky too. I finally found a decent puppy food with a kibble big enough for him to chew.

The last one had tiny little bits, and he sucked it up and swallowed by the mouthful. Every third or so mouthful he choked and had to spit it out and try again. ChompGulpChompGulp Chomp *hack* (repeat)

What I do to increase interest is to supplement weekly with sardines in oil a couple of times a week, and deglaze my cooking pans. "Aha!" you say,
"Wot is that then?"

When I'm finished cooking whatever it is that we are eating, I will pour a bit of water into the pans and boil off the sauce/grease/meat stickies into a thin soup and pour that over the three bowls of food for the doggies.

Not for anything super spicy of course, but those nights when pan boilings are not suitable the sardines come out. Cheap sardines in oil, bulk pack buy about a dollar a can split amongst three dogs.

Three benefits,

One - doggies eat dinner with interest,
Two - it doesn't cost anything extra in time or cash, and
Three - It makes my two teenagers happy as well. It SAVES time in the fact that the dishes are easier to do.
I've modified this a bit now.

They were doing all right on the plan, but it was a bit hit or miss on the practicality.

What I graduated to was to get a good quality dog roll and for feeding times I will take a slice of this, mash it, and mix in a cup or so of hot water to make a mush, divide it into the three bowls mixed with the kibble and go from there.

Three different kibbles for now. Light/Mature for the little old dog, Regular large biscuits for the big Lab, and a good quality puppy kibble with larger bites for Bear the 8mo GS.

Still supplementing with sardines in oil for the coats.

Healthy puppy bowels, cold noses, shiny coats, bright eyes, and a happy Daddy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you for this thread! We have my GSD on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy, and he is just not into it. However right now he is on boiled chicken and rice for an upset stomach. And he LOVES it. I am going to try (once he cleared for kibble again) adding some sardines or chicken to the kibble.

Poor puppy has lost 2 pounds in a week, so I worry about him. Healthwise he has been cleared by the vet, no worms, no parasites, etc.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
I think they are too smart for kibble sometimes. They know there is more to life than that.
Regarding the heat I am considering feeding my 6 month old pup (on a raw diet) once a day in the evening to keep him eager for food. can't believe he leaves a chicken back alone.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks to our vet found the perfect solution for our picky eater.. 1 3/4 cups RC puppy food , table spoon pumpkin, small spoonful Iams lamb and rice, 1/2 to 3/4 cups of water, heat in microwave 12 seconds, so warm not hot, and she scarfs it down now. Gets this twice a day,...sometimes it's is some left over chicken breast instead of iams .. Each microwave is different so tst time until its just warm and not hot..The warming really did the trick as the mixture has not changed since we got her at eight weeks. Our vet said a
Ot of GSD's are picky eaters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine is also a picky eater

Thank you for the posts on ways to resolve the picky eater. I finally dropped the Royal Canin and picked up a bag of Blue Wilderness puppy food. He ate the first bowl but it was late in the afternoon so he is not eating his evening meal. I can't wait until tomorrow to see how he likes it. I am now going to breakdown and do what I said I wouldn't do - that is buy canned food to get him to eat.

Keep the ideas coming. Please tell me this to shall pass!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My german shepard is 1 next month and has reduced himself to one meal a day which the vet has said is fine, he used to always eat all his main meal in the evening but the last few weeks he has only been eating his food every other night, he is showing no signs of being ill .but I get worried when he does not eat. Any ideas? He has no tit buts during the day and only one or two small biscuit treats

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone posting here. My Baron has been slowing ignoring his food. On and off since 14 months old. He's 18 months now.
My girlfriend keeps telling me to leave it, "He won't starve himself."
I am of the opinion that he should enjoy his meals. So I started alternating between some sardines, some wet food, etc.
He is now loving his meals again. Makes me happy.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Hello, realize this is an old thread, but I too have a picky eater. He is just 3 minths old, and it takes a day to get him to eat his kibble, he is on RCanin LBP Maxx, 2 cups per day. I have tried sprinkling parmesan cheese, crushed up Charlie Bears on top, he eats maybe 20 pieces... It seems there are left-overs every night. I honestly didn't want him on people food, so is there anything else I can do? Tjanks

PS, seems he will eat from hy hand, the floor...changed his bowl to stainless from plastic...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Debanneball,

Mine is doing the same thing. She was super stubborn with kibble, we just made the switch to RAW and she inhaled it. Then today back to being stubborn.

We're also working on separation anxiety so it may be that she was in her pen and not free to run around but so far she's skipped every meal but will eat turkey from my hand..

·
Registered
9 Posts
11 week old won't eat by herself!

Here's a weird one....

I recently rescued a GSD puppy who is now 11 weeks old. The first few weeks she was eating just fine now suddenly won't eat kibble when we are home.

I've been a Nanny for an Aussie Cattle Dog for two years, he's fully vetted so he plays with my pup during the day while his owner is at work. She will ONLY eat her kibble when he's around...top it off...from what his owner said he hasn't been eating breakfast either!

What do I do to get her to eat away from her buddy?!

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 3.5 month old has recently become picky. I've been feeding her blue buffalo wilderness puppy kibble, mixed with BB wet puppy food, pumpkin, and cottage cheese. Initially she scoffed it down and got so excited when she heard me mixing up her bowl. She had to be put on flagyl for 10 days and panacur for 5. It may be a coincidence but she lost interest once i had to mix in the panacur. So she'd eat very little and I'd put it away for the next meal. She'd eventually eat it (wanted to make sure she was getting the full dose).

She's been off meds for several days and is still disinterested. She has tons of energy, loves treats, and seems fine otherwise so I think she's just become picky. I eliminated the pumpkin and cottage cheese because she actually prefers the dry food. I even stopped adding the canned wet food because she isn't interested in that either. I swear, all of my GSDS have been picky but I've never had one who didn't love canned food!

I have this powdered peanut butter that I use in my protein shakes. I started sprinkling that on top of the kibble and she seems to like that. So she will eat another 1/4-1/3rd and then she's done. I added a little water and sprinkled a little more powdered peanut butter (it doesn't add many calories or fat), and mixed in a few pieces of cheese and she ate most of her food. Hopefully this continues! I don't mind adding mix ins and she seems to like the powdered peanut butter...I was just getting tired of mixing stuff in only to waste it. I'll see how she does with her next meal, maybe she's just not a big breakfast eater?

Wonder if she'd like some scrambled eggs in the morning? Ahh, the things we do for our dogs! I swear my dogs eat better than I do :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have ongoing issues with this as well with my 6 month old Freya... It got to the point that she would throw up every morning (due to empty stomach and bile building up) because she would prefer going out for a walk, or play rather than eat.

New strategy - I use about a tablespoon of canned tripe or pureed salmon and mix it into half of her kibble in the morning. She can't resist and she *generally* finishes the rest of her kibble after our walk.

No more puking, and at least she's eating more regularly now...

·
Registered
23 Posts
5 month old inconsistent eater

Ive been reading about everybody else's picky eater. And my girl is very inconsistent when it comes to eating. She has been on the 4Health puppy formula now for about 2 months now. When we first starting giving it to her, she was eating 3x a day and loving it. Would finish it off at every meal. The last few weeks though she has become picky and either will not eat her kibble in the morning or graze on it. So i went to 2X a day.

With my wife leaving about an hour after she is given the food, it becomes an issue because then she doesn't eat until her evening meal. At first I started mixing the dry with a little water, once that stopped working, I went to mixing the dry with a little of the wet can of 4health which seemed to work but gets too expensive (and honestly I don't want her to get used to wet so I can continue using dry), then I went to drizzling a little bit of beef broth to the dry which was working for a while then seemed to stop working (Like this morning). Her energy level seems somewhat low but I guess if youre not getting calories, then I guess you would be low energy.

Anybody have any tips or have this issue. I might have to go back to the wet food. Her poops seem fine so it doesn't seem like she is sick and not wanting to eat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Max is just 2 months old and not eating much on Nutram Sound Turkey, sometimes he just does not eat. I mixed with half boiled egg and he just ate the egg. Recently I changed to Nutram Sound Puppy and still the same. But he is very active and playful. Can anyone help. Thank you

21 - 40 of 50 Posts