German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a little OT, but I'm wondering about it tonight.

Has anyone brought a pup into a house with an older cat and ever have them get along? Seven's a year old and has been in the house almost a year. The cat is 12 and hates the dog still.

I see cute pics of cats and dogs together or hear great stories, but that's just not my house. If the dog sniffs too close the cat slaps her across the face several times. I'm just wondering if there's any hope for their relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
181 Posts
This may be a little OT, but I'm wondering about it tonight.

Has anyone brought a pup into a house with an older cat and ever have them get along? Seven's a year old and has been in the house almost a year. The cat is 12 and hates the dog still.

I see cute pics of cats and dogs together or hear great stories, but that's just not my house. If the dog sniffs too close the cat slaps her across the face several times. I'm just wondering if there's any hope for their relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

I had one of my young adult dog have one eye scratched by my older cat, it healed but another vet bill, but in time they will likely just tolerate each other, but let's face it dogs also chase cats :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
A cat that age, I wouldn't be so sure. They're pretty set in their ways. my moms cat that she recently had to have put to sleep was about the same age when they brought a dog in. He simply would not accept the dog even though she pretty much left him alone. Some cats accept them without issue, others take time, while others never will.

My current male was born into the house with dogs. He's very laid back and relaxed. He'll swipe if he feels its necessary but otherwise he'll just lay there like a lump and hope they go away. My current female was 3-4 weeks old when I found her and brought her home. She was bottle fed for a little while and raised around the dogs. She's the boss. She has NO fear and she will flat out let a dog know they've crossed a line. It does however take them a little while to warm up to a new dog.

Honestly, I think the best possible way to get them happy together is get a kitten and a puppy and raise them together. Another one is raise the pup around a dog savvy cat and teach them how to get along and bring a kitten in when the dog is trustworthy or adopt a cat that's been known to be okay with dogs. JMO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts