German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to keep a few cans of pumpkin around in case I need it for my dogs. The markets are out. They said there is a nationwide pumpkin shortage and they won't get new stock until the end of August. I called Libby and they confirmed it. I asked at a few pet stores and one has tiny cans but it's very expensive. Does anyone know of a market chain that has any in stock now? Is there anything else which can take the place of pumpkin?

·
Registered
31,473 Posts
Buy squash, cook it and freeze it. I process pumpkins myself in the fall. Very easy to do.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Stopped by Aldi's (a nationwide chain) on my way home this afternoon and they had cans of pumpkin puree (NOT the pumpkin pie mix) on sale for .59 each . I bought 10. (Pantry stockup!. ;) If there's one near you, it's worth a try. Otherwise, I'd check out the dried pumpkin powder referenced above.

HTH,

Aly

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
You have to be careful with this. I have one that can not have sweet potatoes but can have pumpkin--it's crazy.
OP asked for alternatives. That's one that works for my sensitive pup. Only one way to find out..
OP, why are you feeding pumpkin; transitioning or is the kibble not working for your pup?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
OP asked for alternatives. That's one that works for my sensitive pup. Only one way to find out..
OP, why are you feeding pumpkin; transitioning or is the kibble not working for your pup?
He is sensitive to stress and has loose stools occasionally. They start out firm and end up gloppy. He has been to the vet and tested. The conclusion was that it's not serious but something we will live with occasionally, which is why I sometimes need pumpkin. I'm hesitant to try anything else because he is sensitive and has some allergies. He is on a quality Fromm food that he likes and seems to be working well for him. I also have a supplement the vet gave us which works, too, but because of his allergies, I don't want to overuse it and create another allergic condition.

I don't think we have Aldys but we might. I'll look.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
The same organic brand is 2.29/can on Vitacost.com, ordering as many or as few as you want.

You need to get to $49 to get free shipping with them, though -- otherwise it's 4.99. However...there may be a way to do promo codes to make it a better deal than Amazon: there's tons of high-value promo codes for them for new customers (or, if you can't find a better code, you can PM me and I can send you a referral code for $10 off a $30 order, if you want it).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts