German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonderd if you feed your dogs plain yogurt and/or canned (unsweetened) pumpkin. Ranger was having a little trouble switching foods so the woman that runs the pet store I go to recommended pumpkin. I tried it and it worked great and both dogs love it. Both dogs have good solid poop when they eat pumpkin. Problem is I am not sure how much to give them or whether it can be a long term thing.

I have also heard that plain yogurt is good as well but I don't know how much or whether lowfat is okay. I buy the quarts of plain lowfat for myself, but often can't finish the whole quart in a reasonable amount of time so I would love to share the leftovers if they are safe for the dogs.

Both of my dogs are about 70 lbs.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Yes..all my dogs love both pumpkin(canned 100% pumpkin) and yogurt(plain). They will take that over meat:confused: Dehydrated sweet potatoes and cottage cheese are other choices.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I often give my two a dollop of pumpkin and/or yogurt. (A dollop is probably 2 tablespoons:)) I use plain greek yogurt since that is what I usually have in the house.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barnyard, thanks for the info. The woman at the pet store recommended giving Ranger a fair amount to accompany his new food to prevent lose stool. I figured that was not a long term recommendation, but it worked so well I decided that both my dogs could benefit from a maintenance dose.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Mine get plain yogurt, and 100% pumpkin through out the week. I do about 2 tablespoons of each (sometimes they get one, sometimes both, sometimes none... depends, I switch it up). If my dog is having a hard time with tummy issues (switching food, or SIBO issues with Zira), I do pumpkin every day for about a week or so. This helps sooth their stomach.

Sweet potato is great for treats. I use that at training when they are in their crates for a bit. I also have used it on their food... but not as common as the others.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
I feed a couple of tablespoons of pumpkin most nights.

Interesting with the yogurt-- I finally figured out that Hans is violently sensitive to it.

He hadn't had any in a very long time.
I was eating some and gave him a teaspoon, and two minutes later he does the hurka gurka and barfs all over the kitchen floor.
NO more yogurt for him...ever.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I use the canned unsweetened pumpkin and freeze them into cubes in an ice tray. :) He gets one cube every day because he loves to chew on himself and groom constantly and pukes up his fur -.-'. So to prevent it we give him a cube of pumpkin a day :) .

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
We give 1 teaspoon of pumpkin and plain no fat yogurt daily per our vet =) Zeus is doing so much better!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I use the canned unsweetened pumpkin and freeze them into cubes in an ice tray. :) He gets one cube every day because he loves to chew on himself and groom constantly and pukes up his fur -.-'. So to prevent it we give him a cube of pumpkin a day :) .
What an awesome idea. I am going to try that and maybe mix the two (pumpkin & yogurt).

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I also give pumpkin and yogurt, two tablespoons of yogurt and for the pumpkin its just a large tablespoon (heaping) so I would guess around 2 tablespoons as well... I was just wondering what people thought about flavored yogurt? I ran out of plain Greek today and I didnt have any pumpkin so I used blueberry Greek, and Penny seemed to love it... I just didnt know if this is something I should avoid or if giving them flavored yogurt sometimes would be ok?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I also give pumpkin and yogurt, two tablespoons of yogurt and for the pumpkin its just a large tablespoon (heaping) so I would guess around 2 tablespoons as well... I was just wondering what people thought about flavored yogurt? I ran out of plain Greek today and I didnt have any pumpkin so I used blueberry Greek, and Penny seemed to love it... I just didnt know if this is something I should avoid or if giving them flavored yogurt sometimes would be ok?

I know we had this conversation before, but be careful with giving Greek yogurt daily..it has a lot more protein in it versus regular yogurt. Every now and then is okay, but i'm not sure about everyday.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
How much do you feed them?

I hadn't thought of sweet potato. Good idea. Do you bake it or boil it?

Dehydrated or boiled...I have never baked it, but I would think that is okay too.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I also give canned pumpkin and plain non fat yogurt. I had stopped yogurt for all the dogs as Havoc cannot handle dairy. But I re-strated it for the girls as they love it. Poops are great.

Kayos likes stuff in her kibble so we started adding some canned food when she was a puppy. We never stopped and all the dogs enjoy it.

BUT.... we (both hubby and I)work for the DOD and will be furloughed this summer. Pumpkin and yogurt are a lot cheaper than canned Blue Buffalo too.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Mandiah89, i would be careful with the flavored yogurt because it has a lot of sugar in it.
Not to mention other things. Stick to the plain, preferably one with only milk and cultures.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
It was the first time I did it, and I dont give yogurt every day, probably twice a week the rest of the time its pumpkin, or I bake sweet potato and blend it and add a little of that too... I wont give her flavored again, I just didnt really have anything else to give her this morning so gave her a bit of that. Didnt really think of the sugars or any other bad things in it lol

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually, I would even be careful with the plain. I like plain unsweetened regular (not greek) yogurt with my own sweeteners - fresh fruit. Much to my disappointment I have found that some stores sell "plain" yogurt that is sweetened. I am pretty sure wegman's or walmart or both plain yogurts are sweetened. So read the ingredients.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts