German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some research and had a few discussions with my Vet and others along with a few breeders and Pumpkin seem to be something all canines should get. I am meaning 100% Pure pumpkin not the pie filling no preservatives just pumpkin. It has a dual purpose if loose stools is a problem it helps firm it up, if to constipation is a problem it helps loosen it up and can shine up the coat. I know it has helped Brewski's coat and other.

·
Registered
31,994 Posts
Yes, that is correct. I've never heard anything about it helping the coat though.

·
Registered
31,994 Posts
A dollop ;)

A couple tablespoons.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Where do you get pumpkin? Just the canned stuff that you would use to make pie? or is there something else?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Pumpkin is a natural pre-biotic so it helps with digestion. We recommend it all of the time on this forum for dogs with diarrhea and, as was said, it also works for constipation.

I wouldn't recommend it for everyday use though unless your dog has chronic digestive issues. It won't hurt but it's not necessary.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Kimi, yes, canned pumkpkin just like you would buy for making pies, but the 100% pumpkin, not the pre-mixed pumpking pie filling.

Ruth, why wouldn't you recommend it for daily use? (Not that it matters to me...I tried to give some to Shasta and she looked at me as though I were trying to poison her.)

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
It's full of fiber which helps with any kind of digestive issues. It doesn't hurt to give everyday but isn't necessary. And yes the canned 100% pumpkin works that you would use for pumpkin pie, but not the already premade pumpkin pie filling. I guess if you want to you can boil your own pumpkin and then blend it or mash it. I've also done this with carrots when I couldn't find canned pumpkin, works almost the same.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I give it to my dogs here and there. They love the taste of it. I just give them a large spoon full of it when I do!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts