German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, for about a week and a half Xander and I have been unable to go for a walk - long story short I messed up my knee...again.

Today we went for a walk and it was pulling the WHOLE WAY.

I think this is at least partly my fault, if not all, since I haven't been able to walk him (just been doing other obedience at home) and he was in a martingale.

I've used the martingale before - in fact, that's all I've used is a flat collar and then as he grew I got a martingale. This is all flat cloth.

Up until now Xander has never been a puller, never been a dog that will walk through everything...except for today. And, of course, the martingale doesn't have any way that I can really correct with it.

So, I'm trying to decide if I should take him for a few more walks and try to correct the behavior using the collar I have (flat or martingale) or if I should consider getting another type of collar.

I've looked at the Leerburg site quite a bit since I wanted to get a fur saver collar and I noticed they have another collar called a dominant dog collar that they recommend using with the prong collars.

So - should I stick with what I'm doing or switch it up to a dominant dog collar, prong collar or something else?

I feel like as an owner, handler I've let him and myself down...I want to be able to correct this and help him/me before it gets worse.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I use a prong and it works great for me. Kain used to pull so hard on his cloth collar that he would almost choke himself out. The prong solved this problem immediately, and now walks are walks and not a battle of wills. :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kain - thanks so much for your info. While Xander wasn't choking himself (yet) I don't doubt that he could start doing that (or trying to)...my parents Dobie used to do that..until they got a prong collar and then she was an angel on the leash.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I like the prong too, best when used in conjunction with classes though. So if those have started up it's a perfect time to add the collar!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
teach your dog to heel. teach your dog to heel
on either side with or without a leash. you can teach
heel indoors, in the yard, in the driveway etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My dog would rather choke himself than stop with a prong. It was insane. But I will tell you it worked for about four days or so. I'd give it a try but make sure you take your pup into a pet store to have it fitted properly. That makes a huge difference.

I will tell you that we tried everything and our almost three year-old still treated us like a sled. The scene was comical to witness, but not so funny for us. So I fiddled and ended up with a harness that stopped him in his tracks. My husband keeps insisting that I patent it (it stopped my friends Rotti from pulling instantly too). It's $$$ to get this thing registered!

Try what you can and see what works. If you have a friend who has extra equipment, ask to borrow some to try out before you buy. One thing may work on this issue, while another won't.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
make sure you fit a prong properly
How to fit a Prong Collar
and a dog shouldn't just pull on it. The idea is, if fit properly, that you can with a quick flick of a wrist remind him he shouldn't pull.
Never yank and never let a dog run to the end and jerk roughly against his neck. No need for heavy handling.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I started using a prong collar when Stosh was about 6 mos old-- I had it fitted by a trainer at obedience class and was instructed on how to use it properly. It's a great tool if used correctly.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Titon is a Husky in his former self. Dog pulls me like he's running the Iditarod Race.

I bought a prong collar and fitted it like Leerbug site says to do and it doesn't work that well either.

I have also used the harness that is supposed to force the dog to turn into you if he pulls. Doesn't work.

I am out of options at this point but I have now started the heel training and hope that will help alleviate some of the issues I am having. Keep in mind that Titon is un-altered and this forces him to want to mark every standing object on our walks from trees, fences, the tallest blade of grass, electrical boxes, etc.

I'll watch this thread for some suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts