German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Loki's about 14kgs (30lbs ish) now and pulls on the lead so hard he's strangling himself and I'm finding it hard to control him.
I've tried holding the lead across my body and giving him a short lead on the right side so I have more control but he just strangles himself more. I've also tried changing direction on him so 'he knows I'm in control of where were headed' as I read somewhere you were meant to do.
Nothing. We just went round in circles (literally) and he pulled all the way.
I tried using the nose halter that stops pulling without hurting them and that worked but people in the street became super cautious all of a sudden when usually they love coming over to him. My only guess is they thought it was a muzzle and that he bites. Also he pulls it off when he tries his hardest.
Are there any other methods I can use? He's really starting to hurt my hand haha.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
keep at it or try a trainer.

I have a 30 pound dog who would pull so hard he would choke and vomit after a walk. I ended up putting him in a harness. He is 7 years old. When my puppy GSD went to training I learned new techniques. (the GSD never pulled, but he's been leash training since about 10 weeks)

I put a martingale on my oldest dog, did the leash pop and changed directions. As soon as he was walking beside me I gave positive reinforcement, if he went ahead of me the sequence started again. In about 10 minutes my worst pulling dog ever was heeling.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
You need to train him. Right now you're just trying to find tools to manage him, but not actually training.

This is what I teach in all of my classes and to my own dogs.

Simple leash walking - Silky Leash part 1 Ahimsa Dog Training Seattle clicker training - YouTube
This was the method I started out with too. It works very nicely and is good because it gets the dog responding and thinking. You have to apply these methods constantly for them to work, not just when you feel like training. Life is training, the best there is! :)

I also started incorporating techniques from Tyler Muto's style, which sometimes uses a prong. Also highly effective. But my dog is pretty biddable so your mileage may very.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eB8dhKNichw&desktop_uri=/watch?v=eB8dhKNichw

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to train him. Right now you're just trying to find tools to manage him, but not actually training.

This is what I teach in all of my classes and to my own dogs.

Simple leash walking - Silky Leash part 1 Ahimsa Dog Training Seattle clicker training - YouTube
Thank you I will try this before spending more money on harnesses that are recommended to help. I've always wondered what use is the clicker? I mean I know it tells the dog he's doing right and he associates it with that but what's wrong with a 'good boy!' And treat?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts

This is a really good method and has worked on the most difficult cases I've seen.

The key is to start indoors in your house. If you can't control him on the leash indoors you don't have a chance outside. Another thing I like to add to this method is a sound that indicates when the dog screwed up. As soon as he starts to pull ahead of you you use that sound before you change direction. "Uh oh" or "Oops" works good.

Many people stop at a marker noise for when they do something right, usually a Yes! or a click on a clicker and then giving a reward. But a sound for when they mess up is important too. It helps to establish a language of communication between you and your dog.

Any method you choose will take a ton of consistency and practice. Don't skip steps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My dog was about 1 and nearly adult size when I got him, no lease training at all as far as I could tell. after a few months of struggling to train him, I bought a prong. overnight difference, its a great training aid when properly used. I don't even use it anymore except on occasion for reminders, And I can run with my dog at this point and he just stays by my side and takes my ques on direction.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Thank you I will try this before spending more money on harnesses that are recommended to help. I've always wondered what use is the clicker? I mean I know it tells the dog he's doing right and he associates it with that but what's wrong with a 'good boy!' And treat?

It's just a clearer marker word with no emotional association really. :) Always the same and very distinct. No inflection based on mood to make it sound different.

But you do not need to use a clicker, you can definitely just mark it with a word. :)

·
Registered
942 Posts

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Please, don't forget that before you do your daily "heeling" exercise or training any new commands you should provide your dog with sufficient physical exercise in order to open release valve and let that extra steam flee. For how long he runs before you take him back on the leash?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
The harness they show- is it a training tool or just a control method?

The harness (which is a front ring harness like the gentle leader one) is a training tool and to be effective in teaching the dog needs to be used with the training method.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
find a trainer if your method of training isn't working. train
everyday, several times a day. i find training a lot in short
sessions work best. train indoors and outside.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please, don't forget that before you do your daily "heeling" exercise or training any new commands you should provide your dog with sufficient physical exercise in order to open release valve and let that extra steam flee. For how long he runs before you take him back on the leash?
I don't let him off the lead as he's only 4 months old and not quite ready not to bolt but we do long walks together. Think I'm going to have to use the chest harness again as that stops him choking himself even though it gives him the advantage to pull.
I'll try the techniques and let you know how he gets on!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
don't depend on a device where training is needed. train, train,
train and when you finish that train more. do you train when taking
the long walks?

I don't let him off the lead as he's only 4 months old and not quite ready not to bolt but we do long walks together. Think I'm going to have to use the chest harness again as that stops him choking himself even though it gives him the advantage to pull.
I'll try the techniques and let you know how he gets on!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
don't depend on a device where training is needed. train, train,
train and when you finish that train more. do you train when taking
the long walks?
I have to depend on the harness whilst we're out or he strangles himself. We do training for off leash on long walks. I can't train him on our walks down to the shops yet as there are far too many distractions (he likes chasing and barking at cars)
Another problem is that he's on chicken and rice diet at the moment because he's had runny poop so I hesitate to feed him any treat rewards because I don't want to make his tummy worse.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
use the distractions as a part of his training. you have to take charge
of the pulling. he can pull in a harness. you want to train him not to
pull. eventually you'll teach him to "heel" with or without a leash
and with distractions.

I have to depend on the harness whilst we're out or he strangles himself. We do training for off leash on long walks.

>>>>> I can't train him on our walks down to the shops yet as there are far too many distractions (he likes chasing and barking at cars)<<<<<

Another problem is that he's on chicken and rice diet at the moment because he's had runny poop so I hesitate to feed him any treat rewards because I don't want to make his tummy worse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts