German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was out walking Sonny a few weeks ago and found a tick attached at the base of his ear.

So I put him in a sit and start rubbing the area in a circular motion near the tick but not touching it. The motion seems to agitate the tick enough that it backed out from the skin on it's own and my boy just sat there enjoying the ear rub.

I have used this method several times over th e years with success and thought I would share since it is that time of year.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Ugh.
I will try to remember that should it come up, ugh, NOT wanting to think about that, but ticks are becoming more and more common in my area, so...., thanks

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate the little. creepy crawlers also but mostly I hate force pulling them out. The finger twirling action really bugs them so some reason.

I read of this method some time ago and the first time I tried it, it worked. Somtimes it takes a bit of twirling action (maybe up to a minute) but some back out real quick.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I will def. try this. I've heard that if you grab the tick too hard you can make it "regurgitate" the virus into the dog, not sure how true that is, but your method for sure would prevent that!

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
I hope to never have use for this information. I have had my share of adventures with ticks. Basically, just grasp them and pull steadily straight back.... But I hope to not need to do this ever again, please thank you.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I can't stand ticks. The other night as I was going to bed I found one on MY head. Needless to say I did not sleep well and of course I checked all the dogs. They haven't had any, but this is the third one in me. I thought about getting a collar for myself.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
I was out walking Sonny a few weeks ago and found a tick attached at the base of his ear.

So I put him in a sit and start rubbing the area in a circular motion near the tick but not touching it. The motion seems to agitate the tick enough that it backed out from the skin on it's own and my boy just sat there enjoying the ear rub.

I have used this method several times over th e years with success and thought I would share since it is that time of year.
Are you actually making a circular motion around the tick or beside it?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Circular motion so that the tick is in the center of the. Motion. Just like a whirl pool . off to do some swimming. Bb later.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Circular motion so that the tick is in the center of the. Motion. Just like a whirl pool . off to do some swimming. Bb later.

Clockwise or counter-clockwise?
Just kidding, sort a....

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I usually just will pull the ticks right out. I'll have to try the whirl pool method. Soooo many I had 4 since the season started. Max had a few -we have to do tick checks every day.

·
Registered
812 Posts
And now I'm wondering which one of us will be doing the first field test--I hope not me, I'm a tick rookie and would like to keep it that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
FWIW, several medically trained folks recommend against this method, claiming that the tick will throw up potentially infectious material into the dog before pulling out. As lime disease isn't much of a problem where I live, I may well use this method myself, but if you're concerned about disease you may want to try something else.

I don't have post count high enough to be allowed to post links, but you can google "american family physician tick removal" for an example.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FWIW, several medically trained folks recommend against this method, claiming that the tick will throw up potentially infectious material into the dog before pulling out. As lime disease isn't much of a problem where I live, I may well use this method myself, but if you're concerned about disease you may want to try something else.

I don't have post count high enough to be allowed to post links, but you can google "american family physician tick removal" for an example.
Thanks for responding, welcome to the board and here is the link:smile2:

Tick Removal - American Family Physician

I did read the article but the methods that were listed that cause vomiting did not indicate if a tick will vomit as it detaches on its' own. I may have missed something as I was reading though. I would be interested to know if it does vomit as it backs out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I doubt anyone really knows if they really vomit when detaching. The idea is that they only detach when under perceived duress. The AAFP site makes it sound like theres not good evidence either way:

"Although there is conflicting evidence as to whether the removal technique influences infection rates,6,10,16 these methods may induce the tick to salivate and regurgitate into the attachment site, theoretically increasing the risk of infection.8,11"

I just wouldn't want someones dog to get sick and then blame the forum after the fact. For myself, I figure that by the time I find the tick, any infection has already been passed on, so why not use the swirl.
-F.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts