German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With Odessa.

Last night I got home early because I was going to go and babysit today. I was going to go home, bring the dogs in, feed them, and sleep so I could get my butt moving in the morning. It was 11PM.

Anyhow, I got home and let Beansy in, and put Babs out, and then crated her, put on my kennel clothes, then I went to open a new bag of food.

I stopped to see Odessa. Her mouth was SOAKING in drool. Her food was still in her bowl. She started wretching! I looked around. The welping box liner that I put in there had been ripped up. She may have eaten some of it, I guess. She had had diarreah earlier, but I expected some issues with the flight and change in food, etc.

Anyhow, I looked at her, and she started crying!!! Vet NOW! New Year's Day, of course. I threw my clothes back on, and called my vet with no luck -- they have Mentor ER on call. I will NOT take her there.

I am thinking bloat or blockage. I let her out, and she is investigating the house. Weird. I felt her abdomen, it was rock hard. I got the leash on her and put her in my car, and hoped we had time to get to N. Ridgeville, about 2-2.5 hours away.

I picked up my friend along the way. The dog cried in the back for the first 45 minutes, and I was seriously considering going the Mentor as it was closer. But I was afraid to. We sped on into the night and she quieted. A half hour more, and my freind spoke to her in German, using her name. Nothing. I became more nervous, and sped on having committed ourselves at this point.

I overshot and turned around. I heard a cry from the back, and said "she's still alive!" We got her in.

She was sniffing and drool soaked her chest and forepaw and muzzle. Very shortly after getting in the room, she squatted and whooshed out some mucassy liquid poo and gas.

They did a blood test and an x-ray. She started feeling better. She liked the vet. I think she wanted to go home with the vet. The vet did an ultrasound that she did not charge me for. She said that the heartbeats are strong. We looked at puppy skeletons, and gas in the abdommen.

It is the gas, I think that caused all the pain.

They said the bit of pork chop might have been an issue. At this point we do not know what caused all the gas. Maybe the whole stressful situation, supposed to fly out on the 27, being at the kennel, flying, getting used to new people, new food, etc etc etc.

They did a progesterone test on her to see where she was, she has milk, and the skeletons are well formed, and big according to the vet. Her progesterone is at 4.

Anyhow, I took her back home with still more gas to pass. But she had stopped crying and seemed to be doing much better. Her belly was not hard anymore.

We left there at nearly four in the morning, and started the treck homewards. At five thirty I dropped my friend off. I sucked down five hour energy and got a huge cup of coffee from McDonnalds, but still, I was falling asleep on my way home.

I got in after six. Went out and took care of the dogs. I found she had vomited huge white foamy puddles in her outside section of her kennel area. I cleaned that all up and went to sleep.

At 12:30, she had no drool on her muzzle was eating, did not leave any fluids from any orifice in the whelping box, and seemed happy and fine. Outside she had solid poo.

Yay for turds!!!

What a petrifying experience though!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Oh no what a fiasco Selzer. I'm sure a flight halfway around the world while pregnant, being in a new home, and new food was probably a little much but thank god she is fine. You gotta love you went through all of that for gas,lol but at least it will pass;)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
OMG, how awful! That drive must have seemed to take years. I'm so, so glad she's doing better.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Oh man, that was truly terrifying!!! So glad you had a happy ending! Whew...

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Glad she is ok!

Do you have Gas X and activated charcoal on hand? You want to give one or the other of those immediately with those symptoms as they both absorb gas and could mean the difference between life and death for your dog.

Also, can you cook a bland diet for her for a little while to help her get used to the new food? She could be having problems with that food so once it builds up in her system again you may see the same symptoms. ETA: This happened with my dog Massie, same symptoms, and it was from the food she was eating.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Glad your girl is ok!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Yikes, not a way to spend new years:( Glad she is ok tho:)

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad she is ok!

Do you have Gas X and activated charcoal on hand? You want to give one or the other of those immediately with those symptoms as they both absorb gas and could mean the difference between life and death for your dog.

Also, can you cook a bland diet for her for a little while to help her get used to the new food? She could be having problems with that food so once it builds up in her system again you may see the same symptoms. ETA: This happened with my dog Massie, same symptoms, and it was from the food she was eating.
Are these ok to give to a pregnant girl?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
So glad Odessa is ok!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Are these ok to give to a pregnant girl?
Sue, I would make a separate post in the health section. Breeders and rescuers could both offer some advice, I'm sure. Neither Gas X nor activated charcoal would harm the fetuses and certainly would alleviate the stress of the gas on the fetuses.

Also, I think you could find a recipe for a homemade bland diet that would be formulated for a pregnant dog. I am almost positive there is one in Pitcairn's book.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I know gas x is safe while preggers I took many with my daughter and she is just fine....the docs said it was safe as well,lol

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I'm so glad to hear she is ok! What a way to bring in the New Year.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Glad momma is ok....and glad you are able to take a deep breath now!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
What a nightmare! So glad she's ok, even though you might be worse for wear. I keep a box Gas-X strips that melt on the tongue.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Wow Selzer! I am very relieved that she is doing better.
GasX is completely safe for your female...and will help immensely.
Please keep us posted on her situation.
Robin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts