German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
German Shepherd, 14 weeks old

Healthy appetite, nice dark & solid stool, active and puppy-like. Sleeping well, greeting people in excitement.

Puking yellow (I'm thinking it's stomach bile?), but not food.

Food is PetSmart homebrand natural puppy food (corn-free). I mix in a spoon of yogurt because she was having diarrhea last week, but that's stopped.

What do I do? What is going on with her?

[There are photos of her here http://puppykronicles.blogspot.ca/]

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Most likely it's caused by an empty stomach and she is hungry so you need to feed her. Pups at this age need to be fed three times a day.
Cute pup on the pictures but what in the world is that food in her bowl?

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
My dog still does this if I don't feed him a handful of cookies before bedtime. The vet told me it's an empty stomach and that he is throwing up bile. The cookies before bed, plus 2 meals a day ( he is 3 years old now) and his morning and evening snack of a carrot, and he doesn't throw up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This has happened to Violet if it's a long time between when she wakes and when she eats her first meal of the day. It's just an upset stomach - too much acid and not enough food. It happened a lot to our last GSD, so much so that the vet had us giving Pepcid first thing in the morning to cut down on the upset tummy.

When is this happening- the morning?

·
Registered
710 Posts
My dog still does this if I don't feed him a handful of cookies before bedtime. The vet told me it's an empty stomach and that he is throwing up bile. The cookies before bed, plus 2 meals a day ( he is 3 years old now) and his morning and evening snack of a carrot, and he doesn't throw up.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!

I feed her a couple times a day, so I guess I should split it up to 3 again.

As for the times at which she pukes? I don't really remember, but it does make sense that she had an empty stomach.

I hope it stops now that I know what to do.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
From OP's blog:
--------------

"I have decided to look for a cheaper alternative to Kibble, and thinking that ground meat is something I would gladly replace (keeping a little of it in the mix instead of it being the only source of protein), I found and improved on a chick-pea based recipe.

I bought a can of chick peas (40g protein) for $1.50, a can of tuna for $0.60, and a couple cans of veggies for $1 each. I fry them together without oil (enough oil in the tuna) and then chop it all up in the food processor. Then steam come fresh broccoli ($6/large package) and chop it up, add to mixture. I also mix in some flax seed($0.50/100g) and brown rice ($3/bag). All in all, food for a month on this recipe will NEVER exceed $50 (the price of Kibble for a month). :censored: kibble.

Tomorrow Kessem's starting on 2 meals a day instead of 3, because she's at the 11-week-mark. So that'll be easier, no more having to come home from school at noon to feed her. Yay!"

I am thinking this might be the reason for the vomiting.
Not enough food and the wrong kind of food.
If you want to feed your dog something other than kibble, you need to feed a proper diet, meat based, preferably raw.
Dogs cannot digest the foods we do. Dogs need meat.
In addition, your puppy is growing. Nutrition is crucial right now.
I also see that when you feed kibble, you stretch it with a lot of rice. That is not enough nutrition for the dog.
-----------------

·
Registered
851 Posts
Well, technically speaking, dogs do not need meat - they are not obligate carnivores like cats or ferrets. They can actually survive on a meatless, vegetarian diet as long as it provides their nutritional needs. That being said however, they process meat far more efficiently than vegetables, fruits, and grains. It is much simpler to fulfill a dogs nutritional needs with a meat based diet than one without meat or with too little meat.

The yellow frothy vomit is a sign of an empty, acidic stomach. If it happens frequently you are probably under feeding both in quantity and frequency.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Well, technically speaking, dogs do not need meat - they are not obligate carnivores like cats or ferrets. They can actually survive on a meatless, vegetarian diet as long as it provides their nutritional needs

But surviving and thriving are very different things.
They do not need only meat, but they do need it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"Sunflower"

The diet is vet sanctioned. It is the proper food. And that was an attempt weeeeeeeeeeks ago. Please don't be so harsh in your criticism of how I raise my dog. I am asking about now, and that was a THEN. k cool.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Don't worry about it. Nearly all dogs do this at one time or another and Lisl is no different than the rest.

She has thrown up in this way a couple of times when she won't eat early in the morning. Sometimes she doesn't feel like kibble at 0500.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Kessem so what exactly and how much are you feeding right now?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts