German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

URGENT!

Please contact Mike or Stacy Cannon about this dog, named “Thor”. Their number is 704-678-2939 or email [email protected] Please try and call TODAY as the situation is URGENT!!

Thor was being walked on a leash by his owner when a small dog also being walked by someone else broke off its leash and came running up to Thor. Thor went into “protective” mode and unfortunately, the small dog died as a result of this encounter. The owners’ apartment manager told them they could not keep the dog and they had no option yesterday but to take it to Animal Control. The Cannons have had Thor for a couple of years and think he is a wonderful dog, and are heartbroken. They did not know that an owner-surrender would only be given 24 hours at Gaston before being gassed. They are grief-stricken and do not feel that Thor is aggressive. He has been an only-dog and should probably remain an only-dog.

Thor was supposed to be gassed tomorrow morning, but I spoke to AC staff and have got a 24 hour hold on Thor until 5:00 Wednesday to give any rescue groups interested a chance to talk to the Cannons. If you can help Thor, please contact them immediately for more information.

Animal Control’s number is 704-922-8677, take prompt 4. Thor must be pulled by a rescue group…There is no fee. AC is open from 11-5 Monday –Friday. Thor must be rescued before 5:00 Wednesday, May 21st!

More info…Just talked to Stacy, the owner, about the situation. Thor is 8 or 9 years old, they have had him 5 years. Clean bill of health, up to date with all shots, etc. Love of her life….animal control and the police investigated this situation, and both determined that it was the little dog/little dog’s owner’s fault…Thor and the Cannon’s were NOT found to be in violation of any issues or negligent in any way. However, the apartment owner made them give up the dog to AC….they were not given a choice, and they are unable to afford moving at this time. Thor is excellent with all people, including small children (they hug on his neck and he just stands there), but does not like other animals, cats or dogs.

They are willing to do whatever it takes to save Thor…Stacy broke down in tears several times during our conversation….I am sure if we could find a foster, they would pay for boarding or help transport….

Please contact Stacy or myself if you are able to help Thor.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Re: NC, Gaston Co...EXTREMELY URGENT...Thor

Are they sure he doesn't like all other animals? My girl Mya is great with cats and dogs...yet we had a similar incident occur. My mother in laws small dog came charging (unleashed) toward my husband and kids while they were walking Mya (leashed). Luckily my husband had quick reflexes..and pulled Mya back...but he said you could hear her jaws snap...and if he hadn't been so quick at pulling her back...the dog could have been dead. We truly believe that this dog rushing toward her and her family was perceived as a threat. I think poor Thor got a bad rap...just protecting his family

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yes, Thor definitely got a bad rap.....and even AC and the police agree he was just protecting his family, and didn't find Thor at fault (nor his owners) for the situation.

The owner is the one who is saying that he is not good with other animals...not sure if this is based on previous experience, but definitely said he does better being an only dog/animal.

If anyone has a place for Thor, I bet the owners might help with boarding costs until we could set up a transport....

·
Registered
154 Posts

Thor is UTD on shots (due in June) on HW medication and neutered. He's been around children (age babies, and up) and is very good with them. He's just great with people.
Is there a rescue group close by, where somebody with experience could evaluate Thor?
I am waiting to hear whether Stacy could pull Thor and put him in boarding, will update when I know more.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

If they will not let Stacy reclaim Thor, I can help to pull and bring to boarding tomorrow especially if she is able to pay for it.

I am not experienced in evaluating, but I have pulled dogs from this shelter before.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts

I can donate to an approved rescue to help with Thor's expenses.

Please send me a PM if help is needed.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I just spoke with Stacy. Her and her husband can afford boarding for one week, two at best. She is going to see if AC will let her take Thor back to put in boarding....if not, I have told her I will help her pull and put Thor in boarding tomorrow afternoon.

I am sure expenses assistance would be appreciated by the Cannon family.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Hello Everyone,
This is Stacey. I am so thankful for all your responses, and your loving hearts. I am hopeful for the first time since this tradegy happened that Thor is going to be ok. I do thank you, and hope together we can find Thor a good home.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Welcome Stacey! I will look forward to hearing from you tomorrow regarding what AC will let you do...

Either way, we still need to find Thor another good home!

Can you tell us why you think Thor isn't good with other animals? Is this the only time he has gotten into an issue with another animal?

Thanks!
Sue

·
Registered
26 Posts

Thor just doesn't like other animals. When we got him, we were told that his previous owners had other shepherds, and he was the youngest and smallest, and the other shepherds were dominate against him. He hasn't ever hurt another animal since we had him, although we were aware of how he is, so we went to precautions not to let him around other animals.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

That makes sense Stacey....anything else you think everyone needs to know about Thor to help with finding him a new home?

·
Registered
26 Posts

Thank you so much, Thor is my best friend, other than my husband, I will always miss him, as I'm sure everyone here can relate to, but if we can save him, it will hurt a lot less. He is one of the most lovable caring dogs that I have ever owned. Not only did we take care of him, he took care of us.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Thor will come into your heart and melt it. I knew I would love him when we got him 5 years ago, however, I had no clue how he would change our world. He was the child we never had together. He is housebroken, he can stay home alone and not tear anything up. I am biased, but I'd say he is the perfect companion.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I must go for now, I need to get Mike something to eat, but once again THANK YOU so much for all of your support.
Sue,
I will call you if I need your help, or if everything works out, I'll call and let you know. Everyone here is welcome to call me and ask anything they need to about Thor. My number if you don't have it is 704 678 2939.
Goodnight

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks Stacey...I have emailed you so you have my email address.

Have you considered taking your concern about having to give up Thor past the local management to upper management of your apartment complex?

I am guessing I know which apartment complex you are living at based on where they picked Thor up...this is the pet policy:

Pet Information
Pets Allowed:
Cats
Small Dogs
Large Dogs

Pet Restrictions: No aggressive breeds. $250 pet fee.

I am wondering if they are labeling Thor as an aggressive breed based on this incident?

I know my Jack Russell Terrier would have gone after a dog that went charging towards me REGARDLESS of the size!!! Ridiculous!

·
Registered
12,142 Posts

Hi Stacey, I'm so sorry you are going through this...as well as thor

Have you ever tried to introduce, socialize, work with Thor on the "other dog" issue?

Maybe someone can temp. test him with other dogs once he's out?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts

This is so unfair, Stacey, my heart is breaking for you guys and Thor. I know this sounds like a silly question, but are you able to move to another place that you can take him if he had some extra time in boarding? Also, is there a way that animal control can give your apartment managment a letter stating that he was at no fault for this incident and that he is not aggressive?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

That was my thought too Danni....wonder if there is any way to make this right with the apartment complex...given that AC did not feel it was Thor's fault, amazing they still blame Thor!

·
Registered
26 Posts

We did try to talk to them, but they wouldn't hear anything we said. Like you said, they labeled him aggressive, and said they wouldn't tolerate him being on the property. We live at the Bluffs, and I can promise you that as soon as our lease is up we are moving. They were totally uncaring, and down right mean about the whole thing. We hate that the other dog died, we don't want any animal hurt for any reason, however we did what we could, it just wasn't enough.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts