German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple more firsts....

Day started with I put his breakfast in a tupperware with lid tightly closed and laid a short track to it. He kept his nose down & on track and sniffed to where I had hidden it (it was not visible, and I covered it so the smell of the meal would hopefully not allow him to air scent to it) Felt much more successful than my last attempt at tracking with him but he was more hungry and less tired and the track was shorter and easier so I hope I am on to something here.

in a normally deserted hayfield on a desolate stretch of road where we walk, today a bunch of late teens/young adults were racing around on atvs and having some kind of mock war with paintball guns or some other kind of fake gun. (It's part of a fresh air program run by some cops...not just random hooligans)

In his 1 yr on this planet my pup has never seen a human in this hayfield or anywhere near it. My girl is starting to lose her sight and gave a big bark at it all (she gets a pass). So he takes his cue and gets tall and gave a low buff. I told them both to hush because I know what's going on and it's fine. They both let it go and walk on by. My boy paid close attention to it all. I could tell he really didn't know what to think, he wasn't frightened or upset he just didn't have any place to file this under :). I gave him some feedback that it was cool and he was acting appropriately and he accepted that.

Then two delivery men come to bring our new washer and dyer. My policy is to have the dogs with me on leash whenever there is a strange man here and my husband isn't home. This is my pup's first go at this. I expect the dogs to just sit quietly with me and be neutral and just be there. When I put up the garage door and there were two strange men standing there that the dogs didn't expect they each gave a good big bark. It was appropriate, no lunging or growling or extra show just a big bark to announce strange men in a place we don't expect them to be. (no houses within sight or earshot of ours, there aren't just people to be seen when we go outside) I said thank you, be quiet and they immediately stopped.

My old gal is an old hand at this...pup never seen anything like a lift gate with machines and men on it and so on. He thought it was very interesting. Only time he broke out of what I told him to do was to sniff one guy's pant leg, his posture was relaxed and neither hostile nor obviously friendly. I told him to stop and he immediately did (I don't expect every random person to like my dogs and I prefer the dogs don't go announcing that they are friendly)

At one point the guy was taking some bolts off the dryer and the wrench slipped out of his hand and flew about a foot and clattered between the dogs. Neither fazed at all (glad it didn't hit them though).

Exactly what I want my dogs to do. Be there, be seen, be aloof. I am sure if I had released them to go be social they would have gone right up wagging but that's not how I want them to act under these circumstances and neither so in love with everyone they meet that they feel deprived that I asked them to just mind their own business.

I signed a bunch of paperwork with both dogs in a sit stay by me on a loose leash totally cool. He is two weeks shy of a year and so proud and glad he isn't a crash and bash fool when people come around. He is very calm and easy to handle.

And pup got his Cyber Rally Level 1 Title. Don't be hating on Cyber or him because he's white :) I think he's pretty fly for a white guy :)

He acted exactly like I would want any GSD of mine to act. We will continue to compete in real life but Cyber is fun and good practice.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,296 Posts
Good for you!And very good dogs!He's super handsome:)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
You can't beat the unexpected situations to proof all of the hard work. Good for all of you.

Love that happy face. He is handsome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts