German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Needed to run a couple of errands so took Emma with me. Care sick proofed the truck and off we went. Had her window down most of the way too.

Went to Co-Op to get some fertilizer. She was real good with the ride and in meeting the yard hands - no barking, let them approach and pet. They have a lot of dogs come in, so know how to approach, She also got a healthy treat (they asked first).

As we were loading another rancher backed in with two big herd dogs in back, As soon as they saw the yard hands they put up a huge ruckus. Everyone was laughing. It quit once they were thrown the treats - notice I said thrown, as these two were not people friendly. They also saw and growled at Emma but their owner quickly silenced them. Emma barked once, then sat and looked (the big stare down). Rancher explained that these two did not tolerate other dogs or people coming on the ranch, especially around his sheep. He said he has had an issue with stray dog attacking his stock, but no more. He lives close to the city and reservation. These were not your typical herd dogs, but don't know what breed. They were brown, with the look of a dingo/rott.

So of to wally world to get a battery. I put her in a cart rather than on a leash as I did not want her tangled or messing with stuff on the bottom shelf. We went in the back automotive door to avoid the crowd. Automotive manager greeted us and asked to pet Emma which was OK and Emma liked it. She helped get the battery and other supplies.

While I was standing there talking to her and paying while checking out, two adults rushed up saying how cute a puppy. Before I could say anything they had their hands in her face and on her. Emma barked twice and sat back quickly. The lady screamed and jumped back, almost falling. Her husband caught her. Emma had scared them (no bite). The lady started to chew me out about having a mean dog and how cruel I was. Her husband was agreeing. Emma was trying to climb out of the cart into my arms at this point when out of no where a man yelled stop, your scaring the puppy. He went on to say how stupid they were for approaching that way. He then chewed out the wife and said I had done nothing wrong, that they should have asked permission to approach and that they had better leave my puppy alone as they had scared it enough.

The wife went off in a huff. Emma was watching her the whole time.

Turns out the man that yelled stop was a GSD owner, and had seen the whole event unfold. He was very surprised that Emma did not actually fear bite in the situation. I told him I had been working on the bite inhibition and he said something to effect that whatever I was doing was working. Emma was calming down by this point, just chewing lightly on my hand and licking

The store manager arrived just as I was leaving and asked about the situation. I and the man filled him in. He shook his head mumbling about the stupid people. He then asked if he could give Emma a treat. Emma was a little shy and took the treat after looking at me first. I told her it was OK and then she was fine, wagging tail and all. I apologized for bringing her in as I did not want to leave her in the truck. He said the store was dog friendly (except food section which is posted) and he carried treats (Zukes) for his K9 customers. The auto manager agreed as they had a lot of customers with dogs during the day.

Well Emma was glad to leave, but got car sick on the way home:eek:. Once home everything was good. She even ran over to see the neighbor once out of the truck.

Should I have done something different? All in all I think Emma did very well meeting people and dogs. She seemed happy to be with me too.

Thoughts.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I think you did the right thing. Sometimes people need to be educated. I probably would have been the idiot who ran over and gushed all over your puppy before I got Fiona. Now I know better. Good job Emma.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Priceless

She was a bit tired tonight, looked board so I got down on the floor with her and just spent the last hour and more doing what I call a soft wrestling match. Its very soft play with lots of hugs and rub downs - on both sides.

She has a chew toy that looks like Daffy Duck that squeaks. We played fetch at first then she wanted to cuddle and mouth. She was very soft in the mouth tonight, being very careful of how and where she put pressure. Very few mistakes.

We played soft tug while I rubbed her down and loved her up. I try and give her a full massage, from toes to tail. I do this when she is up close trying to mouth and pull the toy out of my hand. I let her win and she brings the duck right back for more. She likes having her ears rubbed backwards, then forwards like you do a bunny and will get this heavenly look on her face if I find the good spot behind her left ear - wife thought she was snoring.

She then spent a good 20 minute trying to nibble my ears, and lick my bald head while climbing all over me. We then played find Daffy - which she is very good at. I would hid the duck in my cloths while I was on the floor.

She wore us out:), and I just let her out to potty and put her to bed in the crate, She is already snoring....I am not far behind:):):sleep:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Powerscol, where do you lived? I've never heard of a Wally World as being pet friendly. I'm definitely going to check with the ones near me, I think it would be a great place to socialize. Not really meeting people, but just for the experience and seeing new objects, hearing noises, etc.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in a dog friendly town in western Colorado. Many stores advertise dogs are welcome. However they insist on well behaved and socialized. Folks are pretty good about this.

Wally World here tries to accommodate folks and the front door greeter does screen. I came in the back way at the Automotive door - a little isolated from the rest of the store.

All service dogs are allowed.

Hope this helps. I'm sure there are other rules, but Emma was in a cart, and on her leash - tied so it could com loose if she jumped out.

I was there yesterday and there was a trainer with a service dog in training - black lab 4 month old puppy (service dog vest and hand harness), teaching it to ignore people. She was out front. Poor puppy was having a tough time, but doing pretty good.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts