German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

My last GSD was real skidish of fireworks. We had to give him a tranquilizer and he stayed inside. He just hated fireworks. As a matter of fact, all my past GSD's hated them. So qhen we gor Cruz, it kind of crossed our minds about fireworks. But since Monday he's done great and shows no effects with the noise going in outside.

Well, I've been working double shifts and wanted to go for a walk with him lastnight. But, I didn't know how he would react being outside with them going off. Decided to just give it a go. We made it about a block away from the house and someone was setting off some 1/2 sticks down the street. First one went off and you could feel the concussion of the blast and we were still a full football field and half away from them. Instead of ahowing fear, it actually amped him up! I was suprised. He was curious as to what that was. As we got closer, they set off three more and he just acted like normal, not fazed at all. Then the true test. We had to walk less than 40 yrds away from where they were shoiting these things off and as luck would have it, BOOM!!!!!! It was so loud, it set off car alarms 4 block away. But Cruz didn't even duck, run or flinch! He just looked up at me and I looked at him and kept going down the sidewalk. It was amazing. I flinched more than he did! We just checked on each other and kept truckin. I was proud of how he responded as this was all new to me. It's reasuring to know my dog is not stressed by loud noises. Got good nerve. I wouldn't subject him to this consistantly, I don't want to damage his hearing. But limited exposure shouldn't hurt him as he's been cooped up for a few days and needed thus walk.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Good job Cruz! I don't have problems with my two females, but I'm not sure how Ranger will do. He wasn't fazed by the steady stream of thunder and lighting storms last week, so hopefully he be ok with fireworks to.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
That's great! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts