German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No scentwork there for him today; I am working at home with the indication and the borrowed BSD, but I took him for group obedience which we have decided to do at the start of every training.

Once we got done and I spent my "being a victim" time I took him out and had him on a long line and asked folks to be distracting (them and their dogs)

He really gave not much notice to anything but a pile of gear which he started nosing through looking for a ball and recall was great in all that distraction. Not really social at all - not evasive just not interested in anyone else and only slightly in the other dogs. Guess my baby is growing up.

FWIW-WOW for a puppy the planet dog super tough ball (I put on a piece of climbing rope) hits the spot as a reward toy. The elite balls are a bit hard (An LEO we trained with said his mouth is still getting used to adult teeth coming in and is "soft" but will harden up) and the planet dog toy he loves. I will have to get some gloves though. Since he is targeting the string I have to hold close to the ball which has led to some nicks.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
good boy beau!!

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
FWIW-WOW for a puppy the planet dog super tough ball (I put on a piece of climbing rope) hits the spot as a reward toy. The elite balls are a bit hard (An LEO we trained with said his mouth is still getting used to adult teeth coming in and is "soft" but will harden up) and the planet dog toy he loves. I will have to get some gloves though. Since he is targeting the string I have to hold close to the ball which has led to some nicks.
This is the same thing I did for Karlo's reward, that ball is easy on his teeth/mouth and nicer on my hand than a gappay or elite, etc. I ran a spongy line thru it for better grip on my end. I have a couple of them and they are very durable.
Congrats on the 'growing up'! Bittersweet...
More challenges ahead!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL

Oh yes. I have already thought of changing his name to the string of explitives I sometimes use that will get bleeped here. :)

He is a little handful a bit pushy but has a good temperament. NOT blowing me off on the recall is a good thing. Think I need to work up to recalling him from toys he cannot get to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts