German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all.
Ive been waiting 20 years to get a dog and I finally got one last night. I spent years traveling and living in condos and never was in a position to have anything but a small dog. Since I never wanted a small dog Ive waited. I recently bought a house with a good size yard, so FINALLY I could get my long awaited friend.
He is a beautiful 3 month blk/tan boy. I have a lot to learn and hope this site will be helpful.
So far all is well, he has taken to my wife and I and insists on being at our side at all times. He does not want to be alone even for a few minutes.
He wont need to spend any time alone until Wed. , should I start crate training him over the next three days to get him used to being seperated little by little?
We have had no problems with him releiving himself inside, he seems to naturally want to go outside.
Any advice for a newbie owner is appreciated and I will spend some time today just reading the board.

Cheers from Palm Springs CA.
James
He wont

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
congratulations james!!

I would suggest you start some crate training while you have the time,,5 minutes here, 10 minutes there,,I also feed my puppies in their crate so they associate the crate with "good" things.

I have 4 dogs, one puppy who is almost 5mths old, she is crated at nite, (she was the first screamer I had :)) but she got used to the crate very fast, and actually loves being in it at various times.

I also put alot of chewie things, kongs filled with stuff, etc, and leave a radio on while I'm gone, if she's crated.

Good luck and you'll learn loads reading this board it's great!
diane

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hi James

Congratulations on your new pup. I crate train all my dogs. As Diane mentioned I started off gradually and also feed in their crates. I feed them after I eat, and as soon Spirit and Eli see me finishing off they run to their crates, open the door (Spirit knows how to open the latches!) and sit patiently waiting.

When I'm out of the house Spirit and Eli are crated, but my labs are out in the house. I'm hoping that one day they'll mature enough that I can leave them out without them eating the house!

At night Spirit is out of her crate, but Eli wants to be in his - I tried keeping him out of it and he whiled and cried until I let him in ... go figure.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Welcome and congrats, long time waiting wow and that is wonderful. I know what you meant too, I had to wait 10 years for another dog cause I was suck in apartment but once I got my house (only got it for 2 reasons, 1 dog 2 music as loud as I want it)

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Originally Posted By: islandjimHello to all.

So far all is well, he has taken to my wife and I and insists on being at our side at all times. He does not want to be alone even for a few minutes.

First off
Welcome
to the wunnerful world of VELCRO DOGS!!!!!!!

They are certainly awesome dogs.....we're only a bit biased.....
Yeah- I 'd have to agree on the crating issues.....it certainly is a bummer when you come home to find the sofa re-UM- UNupholstered
or a three foot hole in the wall....
..or the missing slipper that you (sortof) find two days later in the yard.....

My other advice is OBEDIENCE TRAINING. You don't need to train the whillickers out of them as to compete in the nationals - but YOU need to learn some basic discipline skills and HE needs to repect BOTH of you

and the third bit of advice is- SOCIALIZE HIM....
...take him all over to meet cats, dogs, kids, old ladies, smelly old men, you name it- the more comfy he is with others the less you need to worry about it. open umbreallas in his proximity....roll wheelchairs by him.....have kids make noise nearby...... make him as bomb proof as you can.........

Good luck - Theyr'e some of the best friends that I have ever had.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts