German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am new here. God bless my new baby. Just 10 weeks (so we are told by the rescue agency) old and beautiful as can be, we just brought Bella home on Friday. She definetely has seperation anxiety, she does not like to be alone. Which we are dealing with and she is welcome in every room of the house. She seems very sharp, already responding to 'sit'. The biggest problem is that we have a 13 month old baby boy and Bella's puppy biting is pretty bad. I have tried the spray bottle and the yelping consistently (even attempted to implement a Dog Whisperer method or two Ha! Ha!) and continue to be dominant with her. I guess it just takes time? She is not as fierce with our son as she is with my husband and I, but the baby still has a few scratch marks on his hands and face. Not that my son is blameless, he will throw toys at her if we are not fast enough to catch them.
We also have a 12 year old male Rott mix who does not want much to do with her. So that has been a better adjustment than I thought it would be.
So, any insight about the biting? Any suggestions would be great...I have not had a puppy in 12 years and I was about 21 y/o without kids!!
Ha Ha More energy, more time, more patience!! No, I'm kidding. It's so worth it. I am just waiting to find a good trainer to hire so we can all start learning!!
Thanks in advance!!! I look forward to meeting all of you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
First - CONGRATS! I agree, it IS soo worth it!

I'm afraid I don't have a lot of advice - sounds like you're doing all the things I would suggest. My boy Blue is 5.5 months now and is still very mouthy, however, the good news is that the yelping DID work - it took time, but it did help. He's still has to get his mouth on you all the time, but he's much more gentle now.

And more good news - when I wrote here a few months ago crazy over all his puppy teeth someone pointed out that we're lucky to have a mouthy pup - it gives us the opportunity to teach bite inhibition and it has. Yesterday while we were on a walk he was going nuts barking at a neighbor dog - I'm working with him on this and when I tried to redirect him he spun and bit - it was just an instinctive reaction, but it was very gentle so I figure we're making good progress.

Good luck - and congrats, again!

~ L'aura

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
What we did was offer treats, but she only got them when she did not snap. She had to be very gentle (licking rather than biting) in order to get the treat. If she snapped for it we took it up in our hand, said no, and turned our back on her. Turned back around and tried again. She picked it up quickly, and it helped her understand the need to be gentle with her mouth.
It seemed to help a lot, but she's still a puppy and still is mouthy.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
243 Posts
When my puppy was the old I tried everything to make him quit- yelping, spray bottle, treats if he licked, ignoring him, taking him on a million walks- a tired dog is a good dog! NOTHING worked... I really thought that I had gotte some evil little ball of fluff! He ruined a couple pairs of pants with his teeth. I don't know if it was a combination of everything or if he finally just grew out of it! I know how you feel-I really wanted to cry sometimes because he wouldn't stop. Just hang in there- it too will pass! Good luck!!!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Re: Proud brand new owner of rescued GSD puppy: HE

I've had several of those little shark puppies. Ouch! I kept a toy with me at all times and the minute they grabbed I redirected them to the toy. The minute they touched the toy I praised them. I ignored the actual bites. Very quickly they caught on to grab a toy when they got excited. Even my young adult Rafi was like this when he first came her. When he got excited he would either bite me or lick me. I completely ignored those behaviors and redirected him to a toy. After a few days he would search for a toy on his own.

·
Registered
238 Posts

We are dealing with an alligator ourselves and when CJ is mouthing we offer him an alternative (usually a sock we stuffed and tied in knots) and the yelping did work, didn't work, did work depending on his mood. Our 26 month old son has had a couple of scratches with the never ending questions from grandparents about how they got there, our usual response is, "it was an alligator". The best thing we did was go to the butcher and get a knuckle he had from a cow. It keeps CJ busy, it is to big to swallow and is natural. Keep up the great work and hang in there they do grow out of it (so I've been told).

·
Registered
319 Posts

What I have always done is to have lots of doggy toys all over the place and in my pockets, on the counters, everywhere.

Wherever we were, there would be a dog toy within reach.

Whenever the puppy started getting nippy with the mouthing, we'd shove a toy in thier mouths.

If it was chewing on a child's toy or a shoe or something, we'd tell the dog to "trade" and we'd take the object away from the dog and give the dog the doggy toy.

In every case, it didn't take much time at all before they figured out which stuff was supposed to go in their mouths and which wasn't. And they got the idea that their mouths went on their toys not our skin or clothing.

The nice thing about this method is it is helping to correct the dogs behavor without actually "correcting" the dog, meaning nothing unpleasant is happening...just learning.

Worked for us, anyway!

Good luck.

·
Registered
619 Posts

My 9 week old is VERY mouthy...and we've tried the re-direct approach, shove a toy in his mouth...he will reach around the toy to bite on you...but I'm giving him time, he is still very young...but boy do we have to watch our shoes! If closet doors aren't completely closed you never know when he will come trotting in the room with one of my husband's loafers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts