German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm completely confused about how much protein a dog needs and what is safe for them. I give my dogs Fromm Gold and the GSD has okay poop, I think it could be firmer(all the way through) and we got this when I gave her a Bison Bone. Almost the same thing with the golden. The oldest actually had a small problem with her poop the next day. I see lots of people that say that higher protein gives icky poop?? Fromm is at 24%, so is her poop not as good because of the % in the Fromm being to high or not high enough? I'm going to see if I can get some Bison to test out my theory this weekend..I'll spend my weekend on Poop Patrol:poop:What is everyone's thoughts on this protein thing? Do you guys go higher or lower? Do you notice any issues or differences either way?:help:

·
Registered
851 Posts
I can only speak from my own experience, but Jazz has been on a 38% protein food for going on a year now and for the most part her :poop: has been fine. She gets a bout of loose stools once in a while, but that is more often than not attributable to things other than her food ... bully sticks, too many treats, marrow bones, the new heart worm preventative she has been on the last couple months (**** you Novartis, I want my Interceptor back!), etc. It can also be caused by stress, over-feeding, over-excitement, lack of exercise, a sensitivity to an ingredient in the food and any number of other things.

In my opinion, as long as the majority of the protein comes from meat, and not legumes, vegetables, etc. then the percentage is largely irrelevant in most cases. That's just my own opinion, and what I have found with my own dog though, so take it for what it's worth. :laugh:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Niko eats orijen (regional red) which is 38% protein mixed with raw egg raw burger or chicken and his poops are solid, when I top his food with canned food his poops are much softer so it might be the canned food that's giving him soft poop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts