German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every Saturday I walk Dante on leash only. A couple months ago he attacked a little dog while I was petting a dog I once walked. Owner says a lot her dog never does that when she has seen it her self numerous of times. She actually knows it herself but denys it. I can tell listening to things she says like, "I do not want him to turn into a mean dog" or something else. A lot of the times when we walk by dogs on trails he looks at them no growling just looking. He is not neutered and is from Germany. If a dog is growling or pulling aggressively towards our direction like a terrier (who I see sometimes growling at me and the dog wanting to bite us) or another dog he seems like he is ready for aggression. The only dogs Dante does not attack are my own. However, last Wednesday I was playing with Dante and my own dog Riley and Riley started to play more rough play with me. Dante stopped Riley from getting more rough on me. Dante did not attack.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
Whatever form of aggression it is, he is not getting his cues from you on how to behave so you have to work hard on that. He needs to focus on you and learn to ignore the other dogs, especially on leash. There is a ton of info on this forum on this topic. Hire a good trainer who will teach in a gentle way on how to get in charge of him.
And please do not put him in a position in which he can attack another dog as it will result in another dog becoming dog aggressive.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Personally I would not be walking Dante-at least not without a muzzle. He is not your dog but you are the one responsible for him when you are walking.

I do not believe a secure intact male would behave that way. Mine just ignores nasty yappers because they are of no consequence to him. He will also accept the snarkiness females sometimes offer.

I do not personally believa a mature intact male needs to be playing with other dogs.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Whatever form of aggression it is, he is not getting his cues from you on how to behave so you have to work hard on that. He needs to focus on you and learn to ignore the other dogs, especially on leash. There is a ton of info on this forum on this topic. Hire a good trainer who will teach in a gentle way on how to get in charge of him.
And please do not put him in a position in which he can attack another dog as it will result in another dog becoming dog aggressive.
@jocoyn
@wolfy dog

I would love to hire a trainer. I did ask owner if we can hire a trainer she said, "no". Again she is in denial and believes her dog is doing nothing even though she knows it herself. But question is Dante being protective of me, himself, or both? Again Dante sees me as alpha towards me. I got him off in immediately when he attacked that little dog. I am not around him most of the time until Saturday so I am worried about the owner. The only dogs he does not attack is Riley and Millie. Last Wednesday I had Dante and Riley walk together they get along fine. However, I am still concern about him with other dogs. So I try to go on trails where there are fewer dogs. In the Bay Area there are a lot of that.

Also the owner trust no one else on the planet to walk Dante but me. She told me herself so cannot break her trust. If I refuse to walk she will gets utterly VERY disappointed may stop trusting me.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also the owner told me Dante been attacked by dogs all his life and Dante has NEVER started a fight. I know he has started a fight I seen it myself against that little dog and certainly could've done it to others reading his body language. So the owner is running a risk on this.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
If the owner is not going to hire a trainer, that's the end of it. It's her dog not yours.

One thing I would caution you about, if your out walking this dog and he ends up really hurting another dog, YOU could be held liable for vet bills/medical costs etc.

The dog as well, could be liable and end up losing his life because of it. I would not want to be responsible for someone else's dog doing something like 'attacking' another dog.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
@jocoyn
@wolfy dog

Also the owner trust no one else on the planet to walk Dante but me. She told me herself so cannot break her trust. If I refuse to walk she will gets utterly VERY disappointed may stop trusting me.
Here is the deal. You walk dogs for a lot of people. If you do not take action and something happens, nobody will trust you because you let this happen. Maybe your treating it with that level of concern will jolt her into action.

With a powerful dog like a GSD it takes a matter of seconds to kill a small dog. While you may feel a sense of oblibation for making the owner disappointed you have a bigger obligation to protect the other dogs.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
I don't understand why you are still walking this dog. Tell his owner that you won't walk him anymore as long as she doesn't take the responsibility to have him trained. It gives you a bad name as well.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Personally I would stop walking him, he's a liability. But if you're going to continue to walk the dog you're going to have to lay down ground rules for your own sake.

Firstly, keeping yourself safe is the main priority. Having a aggressive dog, no matter what sets them off is dangerous. He might not have turned on you while breaking up the first fight, the next time you might not be so lucky. Redirected aggression is very dangerous

There can't be any more contact with other dogs. If the owner isn't going to admit there's a problem and work on it, it's not your job to. Exercise him in remote areas where there's little to no chance of other dogs being around. He's already attacked once while on leash with you, don't let it happen again or it might be your butt on the line as you were the one holding the leash. If possible ask the owner to invest in a muzzle so if you do get caught in a bad situation by accident the chances of injury are reduced

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally I would stop walking him, he's a liability. But if you're going to continue to walk the dog you're going to have to lay down ground rules for your own sake.

Firstly, keeping yourself safe is the main priority. Having a aggressive dog, no matter what sets them off is dangerous. He might not have turned on you while breaking up the first fight, the next time you might not be so lucky. Redirected aggression is very dangerous

There can't be any more contact with other dogs. If the owner isn't going to admit there's a problem and work on it, it's not your job to. Exercise him in remote areas where there's little to no chance of other dogs being around. He's already attacked once while on leash with you, don't let it happen again or it might be your butt on the line as you were the one holding the leash. If possible ask the owner to invest in a muzzle so if you do get caught in a bad situation by accident the chances of injury are reduced[/Q

@Shade
I agree with you all he is a liability. But telling her I cannot walk Dante again until you know their is a problem is a problem would be a problem for me and her. I think I will ask about a muzzle to the owner. Although, I am worried she may refused that too. I have found trails where their are hardly or very few dogs. She has said stuff like, "I do not want him to turn into a mean dog." then goes right back into Dante NEVER done anything aggressive. Thanks for coming up with advice. I am not going to let him attack another dog again do my best at that. Try many remote areas.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't understand why you are still walking this dog. Tell his owner that you won't walk him anymore as long as she doesn't take the responsibility to have him trained. It gives you a bad name as well.
I am the only the owner trust to take care of Dante no one else. Kind of a long story and complicated to explain. If you were to talk to her you may understand. She never felt comfortable with anyone else taking him but me. She told me Dante is all she has. I need to protect Dante and do my best to make sure nothing happens. Also she is elder as well pretty much and has trouble walking. This is a main reason why Nico's owner does not let me walk Nico because owner is aware takes responsibility, etc. She does not want me to be involved in potential liability. So I just dog sit Nico and play with her at her house. Despite my high experience walking large breeds of dogs. I do walk Lobo and he is not a liability so Lobo is safe to walk with no problems. Do not worry I am aware of all what you are saying. I have thought about not walking him until owner takes responsibility a lot.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Don't let that trust go to your head. I think you are too young to be legally responsible but not sure about your parents; typically parents are responsible for kids.

You probably should not even be walking dogs until you are 18 and insured the way things are today. Sweet little old lady already seems in denial and may just throw her hands up if something happens. Little old ladies typically get a "pass" in legal battles.

You cannot, in any way, ensure some little dog won't come into the space between Dante and the end of the leash.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the deal. You walk dogs for a lot of people. If you do not take action and something happens, nobody will trust you because you let this happen. Maybe your treating it with that level of concern will jolt her into action.

With a powerful dog like a GSD it takes a matter of seconds to kill a small dog. While you may feel a sense of oblibation for making the owner disappointed you have a bigger obligation to protect the other dogs.
@jocoyn

I agree with you. Although, I am doing my best NOT to let another attack happen. That is why I go to areas where their are fewer dogs. I do feel a sense of obligation for owner's disappointment which is more likely than not. I know her well. Do everything I can to protect other dogs. But how long can I keep this up is the question? What if a dog comes by alone and I tell him or her to stay does not listen or comes up and does not listen to owner after I quickly tell them "dog aggressive put dog on leash" and comes up with excitement oblivious and gets attacked instantly? Dante and I could be in big trouble with liability and sense of trust or could be the other way around towards the owner who did not take responisibility to train or admit to the problem and take action for it. Or could be both ways. I am aware of potential trouble Dante, Dante's owner, and I could be in.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
At the very least

Italian Basket Muzzle - cheap - comfortable
Italian Basket Muzzle Results | KV Supply

My own GSD has a "9" and is trained to it in case he gets hurt.
He is not aggressive but it is something you train a dog to wear and basket muzzles allow dogs to pant and drink

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
If you are the only one she trusts then I think this dog needs to be re-homed to someone who can train and handle him safely.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you are the only one she trusts then I think this dog needs to be re-homed to someone who can train and handle him safely.
@wolfy dog Believe it or not she actually is not the only one who feels this way. I have other great testimonials who says all sorts of wonderful things about my dog skills. Getting a whole bunch of letters from them to expand the business so people can see how great I am handling dogs. You would be surprise a guy my age with the best references someone my age would get. However, Dante being re-homed is easier said than done.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't let that trust go to your head. I think you are too young to be legally responsible but not sure about your parents; typically parents are responsible for kids.

You probably should not even be walking dogs until you are 18 and insured the way things are today. Sweet little old lady already seems in denial and may just throw her hands up if something happens. Little old ladies typically get a "pass" in legal battles.

You cannot, in any way, ensure some little dog won't come into the space between Dante and the end of the leash.
I have many refferals who would disagree somewhat about this statement. But would agree with somewhat too. Lobo's owner, Dante's owner, and my other clients and past clients would tell you how trustworthy I am. They find me more trustworthy than adults they told me that themselves. I know you are not trying to ... but I do know you are considering me to be aware and concerned. I have been walking dogs at 12 first being a large white Siberian husky. I also do SPCA and mostly large dogs for the last 5 years. I do agree " Sweet little old lady already seems in denial and may just throw her hands up if something happens" could happen. Thanks for the advice and awareness.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@jocoyn
@Shade
@wolfy dog

Thank you for all your advice. I am writing up what to say to Dante's owner that I am not going to walk Dante anymore. I feel too uncomfortable no matter how much I love walking Dante, etc. I have been protecting Dante and the other dogs but that is too overwhelming. He needs a professional trainer to work on. But I will tell her that this is what Dante needs to keep Dante safe and the other dogs safe.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts