German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a GSD do protection plus something else. Because of a very bad experience with our family and an ever present threat of harm to my kids I am very much in need of a protection dog. But that is not all I want him to do. I don't want to over burden him but I'm just not sure he will be content with just one job. He is a very high drive dog and I don't want him to be bored.

I have thought about doing search and rescue with him, but I'm not sure the 2 skills would go together. I have no idea what he can do that would mesh well with protection training. I don't really need him to have another job per say, just something to help keep him from getting board. Any ideas?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
27,251 Posts
I'd do nosework/tracking or scent detection, many SAR groups won't accept dogs that are protection trained.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
You need a professional trainer to train you and the dog for this type of work.

As many GSD's as I've trained, I would never consider myself qualified to teach this sort of task.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need a professional trainer to train you and the dog for this type of work.

As many GSD's as I've trained, I would never consider myself qualified to teach this sort of task.
I am definitely going to have a pro train him for protection. I'm just wanting to find something else he can do along with the protection work so that after he is finished with protection training he won't get bored.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Then how about just being his friend and do things with him?

He doesn't have to be on the clock for his entire life. Walk him, teach him to fetch, teach him things you want him to do while you are together like fetching the morning paper, answering the door, etc.

It sucks retiring knowing no one needs you for anything.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Training a dog in protection and then maintaining the protection training can be enough to keep the dog from getting bored. It's not a send the dog away for three weeks get him back and he's all done. It takes some time then needs to be maintained to keep the dog sharp. Of course you can do other things but you don't have to do it to keep the dog from getting bored. Also as mentioned, a lot of SAR teams won't allow bite work. I have been turned down by two SAR teams due to bite work.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Very few SAR teams will even waste their time responding to someone who wants to do SAR so their dog won't be bored.SAR is not about finding something to do for the dog and you and he are going to be away from your kids for many many many hours often in the middle of the night (THE best time for hunting for missing people*) if he were working.....It is an extreme commitment on your part. Very hard on any family because, I swear, calls often come at the MOST inopportune time for you and your family. Nosework would be fun and something the whole family can participate in and would be fun but I am not sure if the protection training will get him un-invited to any classes . Personally, I would not train a dog to do real protection work other than dogsport ... it presents a serious liability. You may also find yourself out of a homeowners insurance policy. A lot of us have high drive working dogs and they don't need a job-the need your time and engagement and excercise and you can do that without any kind of specialty discipline. All I have even wanted from a GSD in terms of protection was a good alarm bark. If you really need genuine protection for the kids I would be coming up with another plan. The real bad guys have guns and knives and may not be put off by a trained dog....unlike the garden variety thief.If you do, do protection training he is not ever "finished" with it. There is a lot of work to maintain a protection dog. *thinking wilderness SAR looking for folks lost in the woods, autism kids, nursing home walkaways. Oklahoma seems to have more than its share of disasters so you might be gone for lengthy deployments were you to do that kind of stuff.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I am going to apologize about the lack of paragraph breaks. I put them in and for some reason I can't edit them back in. Never had that happen before! I know my paragraph all runs together.

Edit attempt just to see if I can edit THIS one.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
SAR is not something you dabble in on the side, it's really a full time commitment and many teams won't even look at your dog until YOU have passed a certain level of training.

I would think anything *but* SAR would be OK for your dog: Schutzhund, agility, nosework.... My dogs cross-train in several different venues. They are not "personal protection dogs" but I do Schutzhund (and SDA when I can).

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Why not prepare YOURSELF to handle a threat. Doggiedad had a good quote in another thread. "If I need protection from something, than my dog probably needs protection from it too." Or something along those lines.

Protection training is training the dog to deal with the PRESSURE put on it from a threat....to do that the dog is taught under pressure and threat...obviously this is a dumbed down extremely-over-simplified, description, and it's a slow, building-up process, with rewards and praise along with everything else(all about balance). The dog will be taught to latch on in life-death situations, being ready to self-sacrifice, for you and your family. This is intense training, that will take your absolute involvement. I only give this serious description because of how flippantly you mentioned SAR. SAR is an intense commitment....not something, "to keep a dog from getting bored."

To me my dogs are an auditory alert, and visual threat. That's enough. :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I got Ammo I had originally intended to train him for SAR. That is the reason I mentioned it. Since then we have had a very real reason for added protection. In order to prepare for this threat I have bought weapons, and am very adapt in how to use them. I am also trained in self defense and my family is going to be moving almost 1,000 miles away from our current how in an attempt to get away from the threat.

I really don't want to go into details as to what the threat is, but I will say part of it is against my 7 year old daughter. I love Ammo and I know he loves my family. I would be devastated if anything happen to him, but it would be far worse if one of my children were injured, or killed.

I would never knowingly put Ammo in a position that would cost him his life, but at the same time I can not carry a gun everywhere I go, like walking my kids home from school. This is not a decision made lightly.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
When I got Ammo I had originally intended to train him for SAR. That is the reason I mentioned it. Since then we have had a very real reason for added protection. In order to prepare for this threat I have bought weapons, and am very adapt in how to use them. I am also trained in self defense and my family is going to be moving almost 1,000 miles away from our current how in an attempt to get away from the threat.

I really don't want to go into details as to what the threat is, but I will say part of it is against my 7 year old daughter. I love Ammo and I know he loves my family. I would be devastated if anything happen to him, but it would be far worse if one of my children were injured, or killed.

I would never knowingly put Ammo in a position that would cost him his life, but at the same time I can not carry a gun everywhere I go, like walking my kids home from school. This is not a decision made lightly.

I understand. So glad to hear you have taken the precautions that you have. And of course your children/child comes above anything else (mama bear here too). I know an amazing protection trainer (well he trains everything) in the NW, PM me if you are interested. I really hope everything turns out well for you.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I dont think you guys get it, are you talking about turning just any dog into a serious pp dog? It doesnt work like that. The dog has to be the type to start with. Being high drive means nothing. Very few dogs make the cut to be true PP dogs. GOod chances are your dog is not the dog for the job.

If you wanted a protection dog you usually select for this before by choosing the right breeder.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Unless you are doing the sport.
RH offers the option of doing it just as a sport, or to do the real deal and the sport portion is for those people who just want to do something fun with their dog. :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont think you guys get it, are you talking about turning just any dog into a serious pp dog? It doesnt work like that. The dog has to be the type to start with. Being high drive means nothing. Very few dogs make the cut to be true PP dogs. GOod chances are your dog is not the dog for the job.

If you wanted a protection dog you usually select for this before by choosing the right breeder.
I'm not talking about turning "just any" dog into a pp dog. This dog has the bloodline for pp. If it turns out he is not right for the work then we won't train him for it.

·
Registered
874 Posts
hopefully you have reported all of your "threats" to the proper authorities and maybe a restraining order is what you need.
If you are needing to arm yourself etc that's a serious situation that even a GSD shouldn't be required to handle.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
OUbrat79,
Can you post this dog's pedigree? What dog's in your dog's pedigree suggest to you that your dog might have the genetics to be a personal protection dog?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hopefully you have reported all of your "threats" to the proper authorities and maybe a restraining order is what you need.
If you are needing to arm yourself etc that's a serious situation that even a GSD shouldn't be required to handle.
The threat has been reported and a protective order is in place, although the individual has proven a protective order has no effect on him. Also he will be going to jail in July for 2 years, we are moving while he is in jail so hopefully it will be harder to find us.

I have worked very hard to protected my entire family, including our GSD.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
There's no use discussing this on the forum...just go and try it. The truth is...most SAR teams won't allow a dog that has been trained in bite work. It's a huge liability and there have been cases where a dog found a person, and for some reason decided to bite the person, that person than sued the handler/team/municipality that hired the team.

I don't know any personal protection dogs as there is a ton of liability with it...way more than with a sport dog even. You can pretty much guarantee that if your dog bites someone that wasn't intending any harm to you or your family, you're in for a huge legal battle and will most likely lose your dog.

You really should discuss this with someone that trains and understands PPDs. They'll let you know what they believe is good for the dog and what isn't. You always want to be clear with dogs and not confuse them as to what their "job" really is. I don't know if something like Schutzhund is even possible when training a PPD as one is a sport/game where the other one is 100% serious.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 57 Posts