German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a beautiful 8 month old GSD Ammo. He is doing very well with his basic training and has great bloodline for protection work. When I first got him I wasn't looking for a protection dog.

I have 3 kids who Ammo loves to death. He has never shown any sign of aggression with them or anyone else. All and all he is a well balanced puppy, dog.

I am thinking about training him out for protection. I don't want to go into details as to why my family needs protection, but I know we can benefit from his added protection. My fear is that I will lose Ammo as a family dog to have him as protection. I know that a good well balanced dog is very safe when trained in protection.

I'm mainly wondering if my family will have to change the way we interact with him once he is trained? Will he be more like a working dog once trained instead of a family pet? Also at what age should I start his protection training?

I want to make sure to find a good trainer to help train him out. I also want to make sure I find one who can properly judge Ammo's temperament and make sure he is balanced enough to do protection. It will be a while before I find the right trainer for him, I want to do research.

Any tips on protection work would very much be appreciated.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You can do this. If he is balanced and stable you should not have any problems. However, just remember that if he perceives a threat he could go into protection mode even when you are not in complete control of him. I have a very stable, very social dog who I can take anywhere. Every one he meets, he treats like his long lost best fiend. However, just last night, he put my son (14) in a hold and bark for rough housing too much with my daughter (12). I had to call him off. Afterwards my son said it was pretty scary.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When should I star protection training with him? Is there a good age to start? I have been told by some that he should be at least 2, so he is mature. Is that to old or about the right age?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
protection dog might not like another kid yelling or messing with his kids nor will he like your friends messing around or being obnoxious around his kids he might just have to take matters into his own paws if the alpha is not around. He might get angry if someone just comes into the house uninvited that is not part of his pack.

Protection dogs are stable but their head grows bigger and bigger. THey think more and more highly of themselves.

YOu gota have him tested first pedigree is only a tiny part of it. Many dogs with good peds dont make the cut. Take him to a psa group if you can to have them look at him. There is no time to get started. By the time mine was 2 she had already bitten a hidden sleeve. Foundation work starts as pups.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
If he is sound and stable before you start protection training, he will still be that way after, if he is reactive or has low thresholds(quick to react), he will be that way afterwards. Most solid stable GS don't need to be protection trained for family, as they get older a natural guarding kicks in with maturity that also comes with great discernment. After all, this is a herding breed and protecting ones responsibility is part of herding.....having said this many people want to see these traits way too early. Let the dog grow up and maturate...now if you have a dog with faulty temperament,( excessive shyness, excessive aggression, or lack of any aloofness), then the dog may not grow up as I described....but these dogs aren't good candidates for protection training either.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Does the USMC make mindless killers no longer suitable as family? No. Same for dogs. And that's pure compulsion training. Same guy comes out that went in. It's true though, that most are not able to take the training and are unsuitable for the Marines. The cracks that were there will always show themselves in training

1 - 6 of 6 Posts