German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is completely your choice what to do with your dog, you should not sell your dog if you feel attached. There's an ethics issue with selling a dog whose hips are not healthy, too, I don't know why the trainer would suggest it.

Despite being supportive of rescuing dogs as appose to buying, I am NOT supportive of S/N to 'prevent breeding'. You prevent breeding by keeping females in season contained. I had my dog neutered because he had a prostate issue due to not being able to breed, but smelling females in season, and I was not willing to 'release' him (I was 15, didn't seem like an option to me.)

It sounds like there are ways around that law, as people above stated, but it's an issue you will face with every dog you get. I would move, personally.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I had my dog neutered because he had a prostate issue due to not being able to breed, but smelling females in season, and I was not willing to 'release' him (I was 15, didn't seem like an option to me.)
Prostate issues are not caused by smelling females in heat and not being able to breed.

It's thought to be a normal condition of male aging across numerous species. Most likely due to the changes in sex hormones.

It is incredibly common.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I once had a Russian Wolfhound who was picked up by the pound and they would not give him back unless I had him neutered. This was a dog so soft and shy he needed every bit of testosterone he could possibly make. So I got an idea and went to my vet who agreed to give Ivan Putski a vasectomy. He sighed the paper that the dog had been 'sterilized'.

Hers what 'lawmakers' politicians and elected officials do- they sit up there and pass laws whittling away at out freedom every day.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Prostate issues are not caused by smelling females in heat and not being able to breed.

It's thought to be a normal condition of male aging across numerous species. Most likely due to the changes in sex hormones.

It is incredibly common.
He was 11 months old, I'm just stating what the vet said. The cause of prostate issues in such young males is often due to not being released.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
He was 11 months old, I'm just stating what the vet said. The cause of prostate issues in such young males is often due to not being released.
Bless your heart.

You didn't mention what kind of prostate issues your dog was having.

Benign Prostate Hyperplasia? Prostatitis? Prostatomegaly? Prostatic Abscess? Prostate Cancer?

Those pretty much cover all the prostate issues, and none of them are caused by a lack of "release".

Male dogs constantly secrete prostatic fluid. Actually quite a large amount of it (Urine isn't the only thing that comes out when they lift their leg) - Regardless of breeding status. Healthy dogs are quite good at releasing prostatic fluid through means other than ejaculation. Sperm are reabsorbed by the body. Basic canine anatomy.

I did see in another thread you were having weight issues with your dog? Now that CAN be the cause of prostate issues.

Insulin growth factor can cause the prostate to enlarge. Obesity is an inflammatory condition that effects the whole body including the prostate. Also exercise, or I should say the lack there of, has shown a relationship with prostate issues as well. Too little exercise and that thing balloons up.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bless your heart.

You didn't mention what kind of prostate issues your dog was having.

Benign Prostate Hyperplasia? Prostatitis? Prostatomegaly? Prostatic Abscess? Prostate Cancer?

Those pretty much cover all the prostate issues, and none of them are caused by a lack of "release".

Male dogs constantly secrete prostatic fluid. Actually quite a large amount of it (Urine isn't the only thing that comes out when they lift their leg) - Regardless of breeding status. Healthy dogs are quite good at releasing prostatic fluid through means other than ejaculation. Sperm are reabsorbed by the body. Basic canine anatomy.

I did see in another thread you were having weight issues with your dog? Now that CAN be the cause of prostate issues.

Insulin growth factor can cause the prostate to enlarge. Obesity is an inflammatory condition that effects the whole body including the prostate. Also exercise, or I should say the lack there of, has shown a relationship with prostate issues as well. Too little exercise and that thing balloons up.
It was 5 years ago and I no longer have those medical records, new vet. But he did not have weight issues until 2-3 years old, after being neutered and after his prostate issue. Vet told me the only cause for an 11 month old dog to have this issue was because of testosterone levels when around females in season (our neighbors bred dogs).

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It was 5 years ago and I no longer have those medical records, new vet. But he did not have weight issues until 2-3 years old, after being neutered and after his prostate issue. Vet told me the only cause for an 11 month old dog to have this issue was because of testosterone levels when around females in season (our neighbors bred dogs).
Well good thing you have a new vet. Your old one was definitely a quack! LMAO

Perhaps your dog has a slight genetic deviation that effects the way his body produces insulin. That is a much more likely cause of the prostate issues and perhaps even why he ended up packing on the pounds. That is much more likely than prostate issues from smelling females in heat.

Hundreds of thousands of intact males are kept near intact females. If doing so actually led to prostate issues - we would know it.

It doesn't.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Supposedly nearly every male dog has a prostate incident at some point in their life, some go by unnoticed, but my dog's penis was not retracting all the way, dripping blood and producing excess smegma.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Supposedly nearly every male dog has a prostate incident at some point in their life, some go by unnoticed, but my dog's penis was not retracting all the way, dripping blood and producing excess smegma.
That sounds like an infection. Prostatitis. It is most often caused by bacteria that enters the prostate gland via the urethra. It can also by viral or fungal in nature though.

Microorganisms being the cause. Not hormonal in nature. Not from a lack of release.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds like an infection. Prostatitis. It is most often caused by bacteria that enters the prostate gland via the urethra. It can also by viral or fungal in nature though.

Microorganisms being the cause. Not hormonal in nature. Not from a lack of release.
Cool

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I've heard this from vets, too. But I heard it from a young, new vet who I don't really trust for anything. My oldest male is 9 and has been around my cycling females since he was around 4. It must be something vets just say? Or is there any truth to it at all?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts

:surprise: thanks for actual facts, instead of misleading information.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've heard this from vets, too. But I heard it from a young, new vet who I don't really trust for anything. My oldest male is 9 and has been around my cycling females since he was around 4. It must be something vets just say? Or is there any truth to it at all?
From my understanding it's the dog version of 'blue balls'. Rare in dog's under 4 so there was little information I could gather on cause and effect on my 11 month old pup, and that was over 5 years ago, might be more info now.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
There have been studies in humans that frequent ejaculation can prevent prostate cancer. That's pretty much the only grain of truth in the whole ejaculation and prostate health thing.

Buuuuuuut. The differences in human and dog anatomy make it a moot point. Intact males are almost constantly secreting prostatic fluid. They ejaculate, like a lot, just with no sperm and not during mating. Possibly why prostate cancer is significantly less common in dogs than people?

There is absolutely zero scientific evidence that a lack of release causes prostate issues in dogs. Zip. Nada. Nothing. And with the way a dog's anatomy works and the sheer amount of intact males kept near intact females not developing prostate issues - it doesn't pass the "common sense" meter either.

I file it under "Vets say the darndest things"

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
According to Dr Becker, who is a raw feeding non S/N nazi vet, it's rare to see breeding dogs with this specific issue.

Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: Almost All Male Dogs Have This

TBH I have spoken to quite a few breeders who will manually ejaculate their males every 6 months if they are not to be bred that year. A GSD breeder/ service dog trainer locally does this and says it keeps them healthy and lessens competitive behavior between males. I'm not a breeder though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.