German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter just told me about the proposed California ban on pit bulls due to an older jogger being mauled to death by 4-6 pit bulls. Most of the people on my block has pit bulls ( I dont) However we have a few that are sweethearts and a few that are very very aggressive. Has anyone else heard about the proposed ban?

·
Super Moderator
32,370 Posts
No, I haven't. Have you asked your daughter where she got this information?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Riverside County, CA considering pit bull ordinance | Bless the Bullys

That's the most recent thing I could find. It's suggesting requiring neutering/spaying...I can't find a ban though. Lots of petitions, but no current proposed legislation that I can find (could be looking in the wrong places, and I didn't look extensively). I feel like it would be kind of big in the news. I don't know much about pitbull legislation, does any state in the US have an actual ban on them?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
There is a petition on change.org to go to Governor Brown. It is just some citizens who are promoting it. At least, I don't think this is Pres. Obama's website.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
164 Posts
Riverside County, CA considering pit bull ordinance | Bless the Bullys

That's the most recent thing I could find. It's suggesting requiring neutering/spaying...I can't find a ban though. Lots of petitions, but no current proposed legislation that I can find (could be looking in the wrong places, and I didn't look extensively). I feel like it would be kind of big in the news. I don't know much about pitbull legislation, does any state in the US have an actual ban on them?
From the article: California state law prohibits the passage of breed specific ordinances with the exception of ordinances pertaining only to spay and neuter programs and breeding regulations of specific breeds.

It doesn't look like CA even can have a pit bull ban.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
it would be better to ban the idiot pitt bull owners.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't know much about pitbull legislation, does any state in the US have an actual ban on them?
No states have bans on them. I know there are several counties (most know about the Miami-Dade county in Florida) have bans on them, though.

·
Super Moderator
32,370 Posts
At least, I don't think this is Pres. Obama's website.
:thinking: That's a strange comment. What could it possibly have to do with the president?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Because I said I thought is was some citizens. But Obama had change as his theme and had a website. I did not want people to think I was saying he was behind it because of the website. Pres. Obama is not a citizen of California,so he cannot sign the petition.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
32,370 Posts
Because I said I thought is was some citizens. But Obama had change as his theme and had a website. I did not want people to think I was saying he was behind it because of the website. Pres. Obama is not a citizen of California,so he cannot sign the petition.
Nobody would have thought that. :)

And no, he's not a resident of California, but even if he was he still wouldn't have any more to do with our laws than any other voter residing in California.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
[ does any state in the US have an actual ban on them?
Aurora, Denver, Commerce City, and Louisville Colorado has some bans in place. There is some heart wrenching video of pit bulls being taken out of good households to be put to sleep. Just sickening:(

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My daughter said our neighbors (the ones with the very well behaved pit bulls) came over and asked her to sign a petition not to ban pit bulls. It seems they are getting their info from a pit bull group. it could be the pit bull group is spreading fear so as to get as many signatures.
here is one site I found spreading the proposed ban idea.

Pit Bulls Against Misinformation Proposed Breed Ban in California BSL

There has been talk in our SGV newspaper where people are speaking out against pit bulls especially after the attack of the jogger and is becoming a hot topic.
Like Ive said before we live in Los Angeles county and have several really aggressive pits in our area. Mostly owned by the families that have young grown men living there that leave them out all day, never walk them just breed them and breed them. Just last night a neighbor upset about the signatures to stop "the ban" was showing everyone his stiches that he got a few blocks away. He was walking to a friends house and the pit bull jumped the fence and attacked him. Luckily this is a big guy and he only got 6 stitches.

I dont walk any of my dogs around the neighborhood because of the pit bulls. I have to drive them to a park a few miles away. Or I drive them out to Pasadena Rose bowl which is 8 miles away, one way.

My closest neighbors are very responsible with their pitbulls and they are well socialized. My daughter really likes their pit bulls and initially wanted the breed because of how wonderful our neighbors dogs are.I do think we need stricter laws though against owners that allow their dogs to get out and attack people.

P.S. It seems quite a few counties are looking into requiring pit bulls to be neutered or spayed ever since the attack, earlier this month Riverside and Pasadena.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In regards to the neutering and spaying of pit bulls, where I live (unincorporated city of los angeles) ALL dogs breeds are required to be neutered or spayed (and microchipped if they are 4 months or older. But the majority of my neighbors dont get their pets licensed so they dont care.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts