German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my pup is 6 months old and about 45 lbs. when she was little it was easy to just place my arm between her legs and just scoop her up. once she got bigger i began putting one arm behind her rear legs and one in front of her front legs on her chest per my vet. this seemed to work but she is very squirmy getting out of the car due to excitement and now she has a right front shoulder/leg issue i feel is related. my questions are should i lift in a different way and when can I allow her to jump out of the car? I have a crossover SUV so the car isnt extremely high but isnt short either. thanks

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Just sounds like she may have tweeked her leg at some point. It happens. I'd help her out, I wouldn't let her jump until I was confident her leg was ok. In my opinion, as long as it's not to high, like a pickup truck, or SUV height, I'd be careful letting jump onto concrete. My late shepherd would charge down our stairs when someone was at the front door. One intstance, he jumped like five steps down to the floor and hurt his fron ankles perminently. It stretched the ligaments bad. He could still walk fine but he almost looked like he had actual feet. So be careful letting them jump onto concrete. The only thing thats going to give is something in thier legs. I would just keep doing what your doing now as far as lifting technique. I still lift Cruz into the car sometimes, but Ive just started letting him jump out. Its not too high, maybe a foot or so high.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

I should add, I let him get his front half into the car seat then grab him around the waist just in fron of the hips. So far so good. Ive also tried to get him to climb himself in, but he gets confused on which leg to use to lift himself in so it requires me to help him. He's still learning, but don't let her jump out.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
My pup is 16 weeks old and weighs 43 lbs. What I do is place his front paws on the seat (sadly I have a Hyundai Sonata with a 36 inch crate on the backseat) and boost him in. He's helping me the whole time by pushing against my hands/arms. When it's time to get him out, I have him wait until he's leashed and then when he starts to jump down, I put one arm between his front legs extending down his belly and the other around his middle so that I slow his jump and cushion the impact.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
You said that you had a crossover vehicle, does it have a trailer hitch? They make a large step that fits into the receiver, I have forgotten the name of it but it is awesome. My now deceased shep/mix had pinched a nerve in her neck from jumping out of the truck cab, so we got this step and it works great.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I do pretty much what Galathiel does, with my GSD. He has a bad rear leg, so I don't allow him to jump. He pushes 100 lbs so I can't just lift him up and put him in the truck. I'll tell him 'load' and he'll put his front paws up. I scoop his rear legs up as he half heartedly jumps.

When he gets down, I'll wrap my arms around his torso and slow his jump down. We've been doing this since he was a pup, so he doesn't give me any problems.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Just remembered it is called OttoStep, works well with all my babies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts