·
Registered
1,762 Posts
A German Fishherd!

Reactions: car2ner

·
Registered
11,305 Posts
Deja loves the river too. Whenever dogs are playing in the river, large fish show up. I often throw dog treats onto the surface and it makes the fish jump at so the dogs see them. It's a lot of fun to see their reaction.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Deja loves the river too. Whenever dogs are playing in the river, large fish show up. I often throw dog treats onto the surface and it makes the fish jump at so the dogs see them. It's a lot of fun to see their reaction.
I guess you don't have sharks where you live. A tradesman I had working for me last week told me a friend of his had a dog taken by a bull shark, in a river less than an hour north of me. He was pig hunting with the dog. The dog chased the pig into the river, the shark took the dog, not the pig. If it had been a pet dog, it would have made the news. Dusk and dawn, we stay away from the water.

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
Lol! Yes landshark water shark definitely part of the breed standard!!!Yeah no swimming in the ocean after dark. I do like going to the beach after hours and sometimes by the time we leave it’s dark but it’s when I keep them out of the water. Last summer in was dark - full moon lit up the beach. Max started sniffing the air towards the water and started bounding into the water and acted aggressively at something in the water. I called him over right away and leashed him up and he was still intensely focused on something in that water air sniffing and all. there was something in the ocean I don’t know if it was a shark but it was something that set max off and I have not seen him like that ever towards the water. We have rescued sand sharks and sea life found stuck along the shore, we saw a seal once sunbathing on the shore. I assume it was something really big in that water to cause that kind of reaction.

A few weeks ago I was with kids and dogs after hours at the beach we walked into the patio where the band was finishing and packing up. We needed to get some more water for the dogs and hose off. It was still crowded but four creepy guys stood out and seemingly to follow us while keeping ahead of us. when we stopped a few times so did they it was obvious enough a security guard headed in our direction watching over everything. Max and Luna did not keep there eyes off them and I let the dogs stare. We were heading towards the tunnel but turned around and walked the opposite and long way around because there was something wrong with this bunch. Just telling this story because there can be even more creepy creatures on land after dusk.

·
Registered
11,305 Posts
You have to believe your dogs. Once, when I had four and a friend of mine and her Belgian Tervuren were hiking in the woods when, deeper into the woods, all five were staring into a thicket, growling, hackles up. We decided to believe them and carefully walked backwards with them. Never knew what they sensed but we took them serious as they had never shown this behavior before, not towards raccoons or deer.
Cougars are known to secretly follow hikers and dogs and you would never know.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Sure looks like fun!!

The closest lake to our house, bout 15 minutes, has a toxic algae bloom currently! NO FUN!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thankfully we don't have sharks patrolling our waters, too many dams and the river stays pretty cold. I have heard of stories from people along the coasts and southern states that sharks have found their way upriver. Crazy scary, I'm not sure if let my dogs or myself near that water!
@Mei our rivers getting a nasty bloom as well. Thankfully this part isn't affected yet. There's a couple off limits at the moment though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts