German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might sound silly. I know a prong is meant to be used as a tool for training loose leash walking, but can it be used for life as a flat collar? Is there negatives associated with using it this way? I just feel so much more in control with it on them. They don't really pull any more...just if they see a rabbit or something dart in front of them...

Also, I've the prong that doesn't have a hook (the full circle round one). I worry that when I take it off Smokey, his ears will break? Can this happen? Or will his ears get soft and fall over from taking it off and putting it on several times a day?

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
I don't understand what the full circle round one is.
Are you asking if you can leave it on 24/7?

·
Registered
31,701 Posts
You can not leave the prong on them all day like a flat collar. However, if you want to use it to walk them for the rest of their lives then there isn't really a problem with that. How do you take the prong off? It should come apart so you don't put it over their heads. If it's fitted properly, it shouldn't fit over their heads since it's suppose to sit high on their necks.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No no. For walks only...

The type of prong that doesn't have a hook. It's slips on rather than having to attach the chain to the snap.

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
I've never seen a prong collar where you couldn't take it off by unhooking the links. If you're sliding it over his head to get it on and off, it's too loose.

And no, I would not leave it on him all the time. If it gets caught on something it could choke him to death.

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
The type of prong that doesn't have a hook. It's slips on rather than having to attach the chain to the snap.
Could you post a picture, or a link to the kind you're talking about?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a picture I just took...

The links come undone. But I was told by someone at Petsmart to simply slip it over his ears and head...

Attachments

·
Registered
31,701 Posts
Petsmart is wrong...

Unhook the prong about half way and put it on. Readjust the fit so it's on right.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
The links come undone. But I was told by someone at Petsmart to simply slip it over his ears and head...
OMG.:eek:
I actually wish Petsmart would go away.

Since Leerburg has already been linked, I would like to recommend a Herm Sprenger collar, with a rolled leather one as backup. They explain all of that on the site.

Prongs do come undone, and that could be a disaster.

http://leerburg.com/5131.htm#!vidpopup/0/

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Never used a prong. Hope they go the way of the choke chain (which hasn't really gone away). JMHO
You're entitled to your opinion.

Some of us are 5 foot tall, have arthritic hands, and are a lot less powerful than the dog.

·
Registered
31,701 Posts
Agreed with Sunflower. Make sure it's a good quality and Herm Sprenger is. You can buy tabs with hooks on both sides to hook from the prong to the flat collar so you still have control to correct if need be

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I use the Herm Sprenger prong with a flat collar as a back up. If we are walking in a dog free area I reverse it to a flat collar with the prong backup. They are connected by a leather tab.

I don't really see a day in the future where I won't use the prong on Stella. It gives me the control I need.

And a prong should not slip over a dog's head! It took me a little while to get used to opening and closing the links, but practice makes perfect!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Here's a picture I just took...

I have this one for my golden and the one that clips(doesn't go over the head). It(the one that slips on) works fine for my golden, but he has floppy ears. I was in a hurry the other day and went to put the one on with the clips on the GSD, but it was way to tight and I didn't have time to find the links. I decided to use the one that slips on for the GSD, BAD idea, it came off as soon as we got outside and it was not easy to put on, because of the eyes. I will not be using that one again:( I went online and got the secret power one for her(GSD), so I know her eyes are safe. The other one that you clip on works well because you can put the leash on both the flat and the prong collar.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I always use the prong for walks. In the house he doesn't wear a collar.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have this one for my golden and the one that clips(doesn't go over the head). It(the one that slips on) works fine for my golden, but he has floppy ears. I was in a hurry the other day and went to put the one on with the clips on the GSD, but it was way to tight and I didn't have time to find the links. I decided to use the one that slips on for the GSD, BAD idea, it came off as soon as we got outside and it was not easy to put on, because of the eyes. I will not be using that one again:( I went online and got the secret power one for her(GSD), so I know her eyes are safe. The other one that you clip on works well because you can put the leash on both the flat and the prong collar.
I was told to put it on inside out (prongs facing you) to protect the eyes. And then flip it once it's on. Is that how you put it on? But I'd rather unclip it c:

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
I have this one for my golden. It(the one that slips on) works fine for my golden, but he has floppy ears. .
I don't understand how any regular prong can be slip on. It still needs to be fitted under the chin.
How can it fit properly if it has large enough to fit over ears?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts