German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering at what age would most of u start using the promg/pinch coller on ur dogs. I've been told diff things by diff people. my puppy is 6 months old we havent had any training done with her yet. (due to us also finding out i was prago with our first kid and i've not not had the energy to do it and my hubby not much for the dog training unless it with our husky) Also I'm curses the lady training me to become a dog trainer say it never hurt to talk to other people that train also and here about there methods because i might find them easier then what she is showing me. so what are other ways you train ur dog other then using the prong/pinch collar.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I didn't use a prong on Discoe until she was about seven months old: we had been training with a ball/tug and food to that point. We used it mainly for tightening up response in obedience.
If you haven't done any training with your dog yet, I might hold off on the prong until you know if she even needs it. What kind of training are you aiming to do with her? The sooner you can start, the better since she's 6 months old already.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have on bigger dog over the age of one. like husky and such and a few german shepherds also. but like i said they have all been over the age of one and r norm one that have prob like running after cats and other small critty that come from owner that thought that kinda stuff was cute because the dog was a puppy and easly pulled away but now that there older have behaver prob that there owner cant handle. or old lady that for some reason get really hyper large dog nad cant handle them :/

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
You can definitely teach a dog not to pull on leash without using a prong, but it's best to start early, when they're not that big and strong. Since your dog is already 6 months old and has had no training yet, he may be too difficult to control on just a flat collar. Front hook harnesses (NOT traditional harnesses with the leash connection on the back of the dog) can help too, I have Sense-ation harnesses that I used when my dogs were young.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't use a prong on Discoe until she was about seven months old: we had been training with a ball/tug and food to that point. We used it mainly for tightening up response in obedience.
If you haven't done any training with your dog yet, I might hold off on the prong until you know if she even needs it. What kind of training are you aiming to do with her? The sooner you can start, the better since she's 6 months old already.

thanks Discoe and i want to start with just the basic. but at some point my husband want me to train her to do other things also. and i know i really need to get started lol but when u get prago things don't always work as planned. I have tryed food training but this puppy reather play and does one of thouse if u wont give it to me then i dont want it. she's quit stubborn lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can definitely teach a dog not to pull on leash without using a prong, but it's best to start early, when they're not that big and strong. Since your dog is already 6 months old and has had no training yet, he may be too difficult to control on just a flat collar. Front hook harnesses (NOT traditional harnesses with the leash connection on the back of the dog) can help too, I have Sense-ation harnesses that I used when my dogs were young.

i've seen them in store and such but i was never really sure if they actealy worked. do u mind explaining how it actealy works in helping to train ur dog. or is it like the halter that goes over the muzzle and behind the ears. (cant remember what it called but i use to use one when i was a kid to walk my grandma big lab)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Lol halters are for horses many dogs hate them and I dont blame them. Prongs work quite well, you will notice an immidiate change. Watch a youtube clip on proper fitting and usage..its not rocket science. As for an E Collar I like them for proofing distance to commands and off leash work but thats more advanced, a good portion of research is required before using one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the pinch collar i've learned to use and already fit. pinch collar r what i'm actealy comforatble using just because that what i was tough to use by the lady who training me. as for the e-collar i've seen it used. do i agree with using it for distance training no UNLESS it is with a dog that actealy need that exstra kick to get it to leaston. or to fix a barking prob that bitter apple and other less painfull meathed arnt working with (actealy had a boxer of my own that i had to use one with because that was the only way would not bark)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and hey i was a kid doing what grandma said with the halter liked it or not but it made it so being a tinny 9 year old walking a big mastif type dog (was a purbread mastif just had enough in it to make this dog huge) from walking me and poor old grandma lol

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I'm just wondering at what age would most of u start using the promg/pinch coller on ur dogs. I've been told diff things by diff people. my puppy is 6 months old we havent had any training done with her yet. (due to us also finding out i was prago with our first kid and i've not not had the energy to do it and my hubby not much for the dog training unless it with our husky) Also I'm curses the lady training me to become a dog trainer say it never hurt to talk to other people that train also and here about there methods because i might find them easier then what she is showing me. so what are other ways you train ur dog other then using the prong/pinch collar.
I do not recommend something like that, but you must be having a hard time. If you do this let the dog pull and learn, you do not pull hard and do not use a choke (they cause damage, I know how use that and rarely do),. You just gave birth to baby , you can be strong enough:). I have had six month old dogs many of time (to train) and only had to use that kind of collar once (at that age), must be one tough dog!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I just took an older dog in and he has never had manners (5 to 7 yrs) and I bet you money I will have to muzzel him at first when we start, good friend the dog is but no manners. I should of already started but had a personal set back is why I have not yet (family matters).

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I opted for a Martingale Collar. The trainer said he doesn't need it because he walks on a loose leash, but it's what we have for him. He did show me the pronged collar, but I was pretty much set on the martingale style.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I opted for a Martingale Collar. The trainer said he doesn't need it because he walks on a loose leash, but it's what we have for him. He did show me the pronged collar, but I was pretty much set on the martingale style.

That is a great collar, I love those and when I got to shop off amazon I ordered two nice leaches, I would love to get another one of those (flat collar but tightens). I live far away and knowone here carries them, I want another one of those and a "redwings" tshirt :), please..

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
That is a great collar, I love those and when I got to shop off amazon I ordered two nice leaches, I would love love to get another one of those (flat collar but tightens). I live far away and and knowone here carries them, I want another one of those and a "redwings" tshirt :), please..
I ordered it off amazon. I got the one with the quick release, because the first one he outgrew I didn't like having to pull it off over his ears.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts