German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3.2mm prong collar but it slides down my dogs neck but when I remove a link it is extremely tight around the neck.

I asked the store if I could exchange for a 3mm but they said there is not much difference between the two. They said it is not supposed to fit high above the neck as suggested all over the internet.

Now every site that I come across, contradicts their opinion.

Would the 3mm be a better fit or should I try the 2.5mm?

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

·
Registered
539 Posts
I personally would go with a 2.5 mm. Links are smaller and it makes sizing easier. It is also easier to squeeze the links and remove/put on (JIMO. I have tiny hands).
Make sure to buy a quality prong collar, though. My last HS collar I bought directly from the HS site.
Some of the cheaper options available at retail stores can spring open while walking/training the dog and I have heard of people saying the pronged ends can be sharp.

Reactions: Sunsilver

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My current one is a H.S; I was considering the 2.5 but wasn't sure if it would be strong enough.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
My current one is a H.S; I was considering the 2.5 but wasn't sure if it would be strong enough.

It is strong enough and delivers a sharper correction than the larger ones. You'll have to buy extra links for a GSD. Try not to let the dog lean into it while walking.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The mm doesn't matter in terms of fitting. The collar is supposed to fit snuggly at the top of the neck, just below the ears. The 3.2 is a good size for a GSD.
How snuggly?

If I place it on her, it falls down but with a link removed, it seems tight. Should the prongs be resting firmly on the neck or should the collar be able to rotate a bit?

·
Banned
2,016 Posts
Firmly resting, but not so tight that the links are barely able to be linked. You should be able to rotate the collar, but it might be a little difficult. Is the dog finished growing?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is strong enough and delivers a sharper correction than the larger ones. You'll have to buy extra links for a GSD. Try not to let the dog lean into it while walking.
Thank you.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Firmly resting, but not so tight that the links are barely able to be linked. You should be able to rotate the collar, but it might be a little difficult. Is the dog finished growing?
Not yet, she's almost 11mths.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I bought Jax the 2.5 when he was about 9 months old off the Leerburg site. He is now 18 months (and over 90lbs) and I have had zero problems with it. I think I bought 6 or 7 extra links when I ordered it since it was the smaller size. Do your own measurements and please don't quote me, but I believe I originally had 3 left over and added one about 2 months ago so now have 2 spare. He wears it up high right behind the ears. I feel like the smaller links also help it stay in place better, but you definitely have to have a gentle hand on the leash. Stops pulling 100%. Jax corrects himself now (for the most part) and we can go anywhere stress free.

I bought him the black link one and (due to smaller links as well as color) it has the added benefit of blending into his fur so that when we are out and about I don't get dirty looks from passer's by who can see the links. Be sure to get a prong leash as well. Clips to both the prong and to the flat collar as a backup. They have super nice leather ones or a cheaper option...I forget what it's made of but kinda looks like black rubber. I got the cheaper one and it's worked out just fine.

Good luck!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought him the black link one and (due to smaller links as well as color) it has the added benefit of blending into his fur so that when we are out and about I don't get dirty looks from passer's by who can see the links. Be sure to get a prong leash as well. Clips to both the prong and to the flat collar as a backup. They have super nice leather ones or a cheaper option...I forget what it's made of but kinda looks like black rubber. I got the cheaper one and it's worked out just fine.

Good luck!
I have the black H.S also but obviously in the 3.2mm.

I use a carabinier and attach it to the O link on the prong and the D link on the flat collar.

I live in UK and the shipping from Leerburg to here is expensive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts