German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Fraserglens Ellie of Carmspack 16/12/2021
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have been looking into prong collars and doing some reading. A trainer recommended a prong to help Ellie with some reactivity to other dogs, he suggested the smaller 2.25 HS. I wanted to get some peoples views and opinions on here with regards to link size? My brief understanding is the smaller link.. more pinch per inch? I have read some threads on here, some seem to be some years back and just wondering if the thought process has changed since then?

thanks!

·
Registered
33,775 Posts
I use the 2.25 for obedience. the 3.25 for everything else. I don't advise using a prong for reactivity issues. is the trainer going to be there with you and help you thru it so you fully understand how he uses it? Because it will often ramp a dog up rather than suppress/correct the reaction. Is the trainer also teaching you behavior modification techniques so she knows what the proper behavior is and to help her work thru her stress?

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
The following is my take: in case of reactivity, timing a prong correction is crucial to avoid an increase in reactivity. As soon as the focus is away from you but before he goes overboard, (stiff body, ears far forward, stare), give the dog a command like sit, down or let's go while turning away. I prefer turning away.. Correct for not complying so the correction is not related to the sight of the other dog. Then keep him busy to focus on you. In the past I used treats when a reactive dog spotted a dog but no more. But .. when the dog is already in full reacting mode like barking, lunging etc, the prong may make it worse.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The following is my take: in case of reactivity, timing a prong correction is crucial to avoid an increase in reactivity. As soon as the focus is away from you but before he goes overboard, (stiff body, ears far forward, stare), give the dog a command like sit, down or let's go while turning away. I prefer turning away.. Correct for not complying so the correction is not related to the sight of the other dog. Then keep him busy to focus on you. In the past I used treats when a reactive dog spotted a dog but no more. But .. when the dog is already in full reacting mode like barking, lunging etc, the prong may make it worse.
Yes thank you, I’m aware of the sequences, we are using heel (with food) in advance of potential reactivity, if broken.. prong correction, heel. If in a situation where a dog pops up out of nowhere, turn around walk other way heel with food, I was just curious what size links people use as there seems to be different opinions out there.

·
Super Moderator
6,541 Posts
The 2.25 is easier to fit properly on the dog, light and very easy to communicate with the dog. And yes the smaller link will give a stronger correction.

As already said, go with which one your trainer is recommending.
2.25 here too

Reactions: Carter Smith

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yes thank you, I’m aware of the sequences, we are using heel (with food) in advance of potential reactivity, if broken.. prong correction, heel. If in a situation where a dog pops up out of nowhere, turn around walk other way heel with food, I was just curious what size links people use as there seems to be different opinions out there.
I use 3.25 I think. Yellow metal, forgot the name. I know trainers suggest your approach but I have a problem with it. If you need food with heel than your dog does not know it so you cannot correct it and use it for the purpose you do. This is an unfair correction, dog is anxious and doesn’t care about your food and he gets corrected for his choice not to perform for food? He will only get more anxious and you will add pain to his fears.

Choose a command he knows, performs without thinking and make him feel successful. Work on leash pressure so when you turn around the dog follows you.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I use 3.25 I think. Yellow metal, forgot the name. I know trainers suggest your approach but I have a problem with it. If you need food with heel than your dog does not know it so you cannot correct it and use it for the purpose you do. This is an unfair correction, dog is anxious and doesn’t care about your food and he gets corrected for his choice not to perform for food? He will only get more anxious and you will add pain to his fears.

Choose a command he knows, performs without thinking and make him feel successful. Work on leash pressure so when you turn around the dog follows you.
I don’t disagree with this in the context you’ve wrote it out, but if my dog heels, while not being distracted without food.. does she not know it? The food is to provide incentive and reward while under distraction rather than teach. I agree correcting a dog for a command they do not know is not right. The food is also reward and motivation to focus on me while under distraction

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don’t disagree with this in the context you’ve wrote it out, but if my dog heels, while not being distracted without food.. does she not know it? The food is to provide incentive and reward while under distraction rather than teach. I agree correcting a dog for a command they do not know is not right. The food is also reward and motivation to focus on me while under distraction
I started to make her sit and hold the position to deal with reactivity. Her dog reactivity comes from lack of confidence with dogs. So a sit offers her opportunity to watch and learn instead of going directly to lunge and barking. I barely ask for her constant focus at that moment. Now we are much better. It’s just my experience. My point is that maybe you can start with something easy and simple to offer a fair game. Also, some dogs won’t even take treats when they are high in reactivity.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a both a 2.25mm and a 3.2 (or is it 3.25?) …I use smaller for obediance. Reactivity training I use the bigger - it doesn’t fall apart as easily. I strongly recommend a back up if you’re using the smaller and doing reactivity training. My 2.25 prong fell apart on me a lot. Some days I had it backed up, some days I got lucky. I do not like the back up though because it’s harder to give a proper correction with another collar so close and connected to the same leash.

For the more pinch per inch theory, in my head this is why I use it for obediance. It’s like the sensation of 100 toothpicks poking you as opposed to 3 nails. I don’t see the smaller size being of as much value for reactivity, though I don’t see much downside either. More weaker pinches with the 2.25 or less stronger pinches with the 3.2 is the way I think about it (idk if that’s right but it makes sense to me, I’d love to figure out a way to really test it, maybe strap each size to a cantaloupe and give it some corrections). I delivered hard corrections for reactivity on both the 2.25 and 3.2, and didn’t notice much a difference. I simply liked the 3.2 b/c it was sturdier with strong corrections, and I felt comfortable using it during reactivity training without a back up. For obediance the corrections aren’t as hard as what they could be during reactivity and I don’t need a back up for OB; the 2.25 feels perfect there.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a both a 2.25mm and a 3.2 (or is it 3.25?) …I use smaller for obediance. Reactivity training I use the bigger - it doesn’t fall apart as easily. I strongly recommend a back up if you’re using the smaller and doing reactivity training. My 2.25 prong fell apart on me a lot. Some days I had it backed up, some days I got lucky. I do not like the back up though because it’s harder to give a proper correction with another collar so close and connected to the same leash.

For the more pinch per inch theory, in my head this is why I use it for obediance. It’s like the sensation of 100 toothpicks poking you as opposed to 3 nails. I don’t see the smaller size being of as much value for reactivity, though I don’t see much downside either. More weaker pinches with the 2.25 or less stronger pinches with the 3.2 is the way I think about it (idk if that’s right but it makes sense to me, I’d love to figure out a way to really test it, maybe strap each size to a cantaloupe and give it some corrections). I delivered hard corrections for reactivity on both the 2.25 and 3.2, and didn’t notice much a difference. I simply liked the 3.2 b/c it was sturdier with strong corrections, and I felt comfortable using it during reactivity training without a back up. For obediance the corrections aren’t as hard as what they could be during reactivity and I don’t need a back up for OB; the 2.25 feels perfect there.
I like the cantaloupe test theory lol

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
7,280 Posts
I use a 3 inch too long DD collar as backup.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts