German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try to join a club that does all the different sports
and concentrate on obedience when all the other health issues are under control which should be soon am seeing improvement

It is 1 hour class 1-3 times a week

She reccommended a prong collar OH my they look like they hurt,,,
what are your opinions on them just for training I use a choke now when we are out,,,,,

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
If used correctly they are super.They pinch but don't hurt.Put on on your arm or leg and pop like you would for a dog to try it out.I am sure you will get LOTS of advice on this.They have rubber cover for the prongs if you are that afraid of it hurting.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I thought they looked like medevil torture devices and I said I would NEVER use one. Well that was based on an uneducated decision. I refused to look at them or even try them. My vet and trainer recommended one for Dozer because of the size he is going to be so I agreed. I got one and I PUT IT ON MYSELF AND PULLED IT, IT DID NOT HURT, it pinched and I do not even have fur. I researched it and could not find one bad thing about them. It actually is better because it does not damage the throat like a choke collar or a flat collar. My 17lb Cairn pulls like a sled dog on a leash so I use a harness so i do not damage his windpipe. I used it on Scooter and within 4 feet he was trotting along side of me no problems, no gagging, it was AMAZING. They do not hurt so do not let people try to crucify you like they are going to do to me.

I will say this, you need to know how to use it PROPERLY. Have the trainer show you how to use it. It is not a hard correction that you need, it is a quick flip of the wrist. If it was so horrible would Dozer RUN wagging his tail when I take it out. He does not pull on the leash so he does not realize it is on. He even walks on a leash fine without it. I am buying Scooter and Sadie one this weekend.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I agree with Allie, used correctly they are a wonderful training tool. They are much safer than a choke collar as they don't cause damage to the neck, trachea, etc. I've tried them on my arm before too. Many people do not use them correctly though. They put them on the dog, and leave them on all the time and let them pull against the collar, not giving any corrections "pops" with the collar. Also, the small and medium collars are much more effective than the large sized links.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
What they said + a choke chain can literally choke Jack. If he's fairly obedient, you could try a fur saver collar.

If you go with a prong, make sure a trainer helps you fit him for it, shows you how to give a correction with it and most importantly how put it/take it off.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I actually think the prong is better than other collars.

Used properly you never have a dog tugging and choking himself on either a leather, or worse a choke chain.

Use for training and walks but not as a collar to just wear around the house..

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I think it's the Leersburg site that has a video on the correct placing ,sizing and using.I have to disagree with the person saying that smaller is better.I believe the size is due to the strength so if you have a young or small dog you want the small or medium but with a full size GSD you will want the heavy one.You don't want it to be able to loosen and come apart if it isn't strong enough to hold the dog.I use the small one on my 30 lb mutt and she walk awesome with it. If I don't use it she is pulling so hard she turns her ears and eyes red and pants.Also make sure you take it off when not using it for training.If it were to get hung up on something it would choke the dog.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I don't leave home without a prong collar on Brady
Not that I need to correct him but I want to be able to have control if needed

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the replys I wa afraid of it LOl thanks for all the explainations you are always a big help
The trainer said medium and well I am not puting it on him until I go there... I think it may be big Jack is not a big GSD he is only 67 lbs at 9.5 months and not too tall about 24-25 inches I am glad he is not big last one 110 and really TALL WAY TO BIG

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
If I were you, I'd pop for the more expensive Herm Springer prong. Better made with rounded ends on the prongs. It'll last a lifetime so initial expense well worth it for the quality.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have looked at the cheaper ones and the Herm Sprenger I have is much better. Definitely get the Herm Sprenger.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I think mine is a Top Paws? I'm not picky about brand but it MUST have rounded tips, which it does, and I prefer the quick release b/c it's so cold here and I already have arthritis in one hand so I can't pinch and unsnap the prong links. If I am concerned that my dog could break out of the collar, I clip the leash to both the prong collar and his Fursaver collar as backup.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I too thought a prong collar was a torture device and thought that they were the last try on an unmangeable dog. Was I wrong!

Dakota is a darter, dispite my best efforts and obiedence classes. Went to a prong collar when she was 6 1/2 months old after she pulled and I slipped on an icy sidewalk. She walks nicely now with the prong with very little corrections. It is my goal to only use a martingale collar on walks, but we are not there yet. Some days I take off the prong and use the martingale collar without any problems and other days the martingale is totally ineffective.

I must admit that I am a little bit uneasy using the prong due to it's perception.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what is a fursaver color ? I keep a collar on him all the time so he can carry his id etc in case he gets out

But he looks funny at the eck area lol from teh collar I do keep it loose

·
Registered
606 Posts
Originally Posted By: MaryW

I must admit that I am a little bit uneasy using the prong due to it's perception.
I felt that way too but WHO CARES what other people think. You are doing best for you and your dog. Other people jump to conclusions about things without knowing the facts. At the end of the day I know the prong collar does not hurt them, I tried it on myself and I know I do a fine job training and raising my dogs.

OP if you do not need the collar right away you can go to this site and order one, they are cheap and shipping is cheap. I just ordered a bigger one for Dozer and a smaller one for Scooter.

http://www.dog.com/Search.aspx?query=herm

·
Registered
579 Posts
Originally Posted By: MaryWI must admit that I am a little bit uneasy using the prong due to it's perception.
Anyone that perceives it to be anything but a good training tool when used properly, is uneducated about it.

Originally Posted By: Count BrunoI am going to try to join a club that does all the different sports
and concentrate on obedience when all the other health issues are under control which should be soon am seeing improvement

It is 1 hour class 1-3 times a week

She reccommended a prong collar OH my they look like they hurt,,,
what are your opinions on them just for training I use a choke now when we are out,,,,,
We have a vet in the family, and she strongly is against the use of choke chains because (even if used properly) they can damage the dog's trachea. The prong does NOT choke the dog...it gives them a pinch on the skin. I know it looks like a torture device, but that's really not the case.

Just make sure you work with a trainer or do a lot of reading about HOW to use it. When used properly, it's a great tool.

I started Marshall on one at like 11 months, I still put it on him sometimes, and sometimes he walks with just his clip collar. He really doesn't need it anymore for everyday walks.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Take a few minutes to check out the studies on using a pronged collar versus a choke collar. The latter is extremely harmful, because the dog does not feel pain until it damages his throat. A choke collar is likely the worst thing you could ever put on your dog.

The prong is fine, as so many have stated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use one, like previously stated, try it out on yourself. I wont put anything on my dog that i havent tried out first.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts