German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
4,483 Posts
I much prefer the 2.5mm collars with lots of extra links. They are easier to put on and take off. They stand away from the neck of the dog less. They spread the force out more evenly.

my stock coat gal-dog wears the same HS buckle collar but with the smaller links.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Zoom in on description

I don't know much about pinch collars but I do know you should get one with a centre plate, so it works correctly all around the neck. This one can collapse, as it doesn't have a centre plate. Most people use 2.5 mm.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
I don't know much about pinch collars but I do know you should get one with a centre plate, so it works correctly all around the neck. This one can collapse, as it doesn't have a centre plate. Most people use 2.5 mm.
What??? I"m not sure where you got your information but I don't think any of that is correct. I've used one without the plate for years. It does not collapse. The only thing that center plate does is keep the collar from sliding around and pinches in both directions. I take the plates out because I hate them.

Most people in Schutzhund do not use the 2.5 mm. In fact, I've seen a big dog flatten the prongs on that. I don't know of any IPO person, with the exception of the person in the previous sentence and she switched after that episode, that uses the smallest prong on a dog unless it's a young dog under the age of 1 or if we use it for obedience for light pops to get precision. The most commonly used collar on a GSD is the 3.25 mm.

Also, with a long coated dog, I doubt the 2.5 mm would even go thru his coat.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
@Jax08 you can remove the plates? I hate mine because I can’t slide the collar around to adjust it. I hardly ever use mine, but that is because my dog rarely needs one. There are trade offs. Yes, it works much better than other brands but it’s harder to adjust. How tight do you make it?

·
Registered
221 Posts
What??? I"m not sure where you got your information but I don't think any of that is correct. I've used one without the plate for years. It does not collapse. The only thing that center plate does is keep the collar from sliding around and pinches in both directions. I take the plates out because I hate them.

Most people in Schutzhund do not use the 2.5 mm. In fact, I've seen a big dog flatten the prongs on that. I don't know of any IPO person, with the exception of the person in the previous sentence and she switched after that episode, that uses the smallest prong on a dog unless it's a young dog under the age of 1 or if we use it for obedience for light pops to get precision. The most commonly used collar on a GSD is the 3.25 mm.

Also, with a long coated dog, I doubt the 2.5 mm would even go thru his coat.

Never occurred to me he's long haired, but isn't that correct about how having the centre plate distributes the pressure better and keeps it from travelling? My apologies if anything I said was incorrect.
I'm honestly just repeating what I've read and the trainers I've watched. I should shut up as I have NO first hand experience. Sorry.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I ended up sticking with the nickel plated one from Amazon. I looked into black, but that is just painted stainless steel and I figured the black would wear off over time and it would look terrible. Totally over thinking it for sure!

I don't think he is going to be the kind of dog that needs it on 24x7. A co-worker has a crazy high drive all black long hair that she must keep it on for. My guy is still pretty young, so we will begin to introduce him to it Saturday. I have some experience, but that was 10 years ago so looking forward to a brush up.

A few things for sure I need it for - barking at people, especially at my door and lunging at joggers. He has high prey drive. Anything that moves! But bark correction is a perfect fit for the prong right now. I've got him waling shoulder to knee and looking up at me while doing this on command, BUT only with food rewards. Need to start weening him off reward treats, but that all a puppy knows right now. Toy rewards are starting. I take the high reward ones away and put them in a toy box. He is starting to look at them as a reward. Anyway, I am digressing. Thanks for your help all!

·
4,483 Posts
Here is my boy with the buckle style large prong collar with a martingale as a back up. Both are clipped together. The martingale is always slack and is there to carry id tags and work if the prong collar fails. Since my boy walks well more often than not, I added a link to make the collar more relaxed. The buckle being on the back of the neck means the prongs are seldom felt unless he gets stubborn and wants me to walk faster. In this photo the buckle has slipped to the side. I suspect I wasn't careful putting it onto his neck.

My gal-dog, with shorter fur has the smaller links. Often I put the prong collar around her neck but only clip the leash to the martingale. I only clip the leash to the martingale if distractions are excessive.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Thick fur I would imagine to take into consideration it’s why I mentioned to call for the collar i recommended. Also the size and age, training ,dog. Karat wore a smaller medium size prong not that big. He pulled like a freight train with out it and a toddler could walk him once his prong collar went on. With the dogs now I think at one time I had tried all the different size prongs, half collar half prong, full prong, buckles - no buckles.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
@Jax08 you can remove the plates? I hate mine because I can’t slide the collar around to adjust it. I hardly ever use mine, but that is because my dog rarely needs one. There are trade offs. Yes, it works much better than other brands but it’s harder to adjust. How tight do you make it?
Yup. It's been awhile since I did it. I have to look at one again but you take the plate out, remove an end and then flip the rest of the prongs around.

It depends on what I'm doing. I actually keep mine loose most of the time because I use it for tracking and never remember to take the link out for obedience.

·
Registered
831 Posts
https://youtube.com/watch?v=k560DfnfyxI
I like that the plate keeps the prongs from sliding around. When I am working on focused heeling including a static focused heel with distractions, I put the collar on the opposite of in the video with the live ring under the dog's neck. The plate keeps the prongs from sliding and repeated pops up on the collar when the dog's eyes or head go toward the distraction is very effective at keeping the dog focused on you.

·
Super Moderator
2,805 Posts
I always use a DD collar or flat with a prong. I've never flattened out the prongs on a quality collar, not even with a 135 pound Cane Corso at the end of the leash.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Ok, just wanted to provide some feedback for future references/searches. The Herm Sprenger Curogen I ordered did not have a swivel ring, just two solid rings. Trainer said he never saw one without it. Not sure how critical this is, but at the same time, I absolutely hated the color. I thought it was going to look more like brass, but it looked like Rose Gold. Very girly for my masculine beast! I also got a ton of sh!t from the breeder and crowd, given my Italian heritage and the "bling" look of the collar. So that one went back and I replaced it with a black stainless steel one with a swivel ring and at half the cost! I like the black as its pretty transparent.

Now the good stuff, man what a different dog on the prong. I introduced it slowly. No yank and tug training here. My last trainer for my last GSD trained like this. Walk straight, take a hard left or right, and yank the crap out of the dog to follow my turn. My breeders approach is to let the pup control the pressure when possible. Steer the dog lightly, let the dog create the slack. He did all of this. I even got to vacuum the house last night without him going crazy. I kept him on leash while a vacuumed and he refrained from attacking the vacuum.

I am tempted to ditch the harness and keep this collar on him all the time. I definitely won't over do it, but there are a few things we want stopped ASAP - barking and attacking the cat.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
I always use a DD collar or flat with a prong. I've never flattened out the prongs on a quality collar, not even with a 135 pound Cane Corso at the end of the leash.

I saw a 65# Shepherd do it on a Herm Sprenger. It was pretty funny.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts