German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 month old (40 pounder!) heels with my boys, but pulls like crazy with me. She pulls so hard and so much, she sounds like Darth Vader! When I stop she stops, but when we walk she pulls away. I've repeated the sit, and walk thing 20 times and she still pulls. I want to get her a prong collar but I don't know what size to buy. I saw that you fit it high up on the neck. Do I buy it for her current size or a larger size and remove the extra links to fit her? Can she use one at 4 months?

Also, she starting to get mouthy/bitty. I know she's teething but she'll try to play with my boys and then mouths them but stops as soon as she knows she has them. I'd like to get her to stop all together.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I don't think they should be used so soon but hey someone else will disagree. I would say some good ol time with a trainer will definetly be a good solution.

How is your recall with her? Percentage wise how often will she come when called?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
1) Pup is 4 months old

2) See #1

3) Pup knows to stop herself when she mouths. This is a GOOD sign.

4) See #1

5) Pup will outgrow the mouthing as she ages. Normal.

6) See #1

7) Expecting a 4 month old puppy to be fully trained and obedient is absurd. Some obedience yes, 100% no.

8) Try changing directions when puppy starts pulling you. She will soon learn that where you go is where SHE has to go. It will take some time.

9) Again, see #1

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I'm a big fan of prong collars but IMO 4 months is too young. I would get an Easy Walk harness instead. That's what I used for Nikon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I completely understand her behavior is age appropriate. Thanks for the reminder. She's a fantastic pup over all but has dominant tendencies I'm trying to work on. ;0) The pulling makes taking her for a much needed walk difficult however. I'll look into an Easy Walk harness.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yeah her sniffing around is good and let her be curious. I say once you start obedience with a trainer and walking on leash you will get that handled. Now I say just let her be a pup. Just make sure that you focus on her recall. Even when she is out sniffing stuff and all if you call her name once or twice and some tension on the leash she should come.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I'm also a fan and user of prong collars but not on any pup so young- 6 mos minimum and even at that, use the lightest weight. The mouthing is so normal and really, she's just a baby! I have leftovers in my refrigerator older than her. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I completely understand her behavior is age appropriate. Thanks for the reminder. She's a fantastic pup over all but has dominant tendencies I'm trying to work on. ;0) The pulling makes taking her for a much needed walk difficult however. I'll look into an Easy Walk harness.
Here's an exercise you might want to try. It's worked for us. :)

Set up two chairs/boxes, whatever, about 30ft apart. (outside or big room)
Put the leash on her, have her on your left side but don't worry about whether or not she's doing a great heel.
Shorten the leash so she has some slack but not much. Hold both of your hands at your waist.
Begin to walk around the chairs in a figure 8. Don't walk fast, just a nice calm stroll.
Don't look at and don't talk to her. Ignore her. If she tries to jump or whine just keep on walking.
She's just a pup so do it for between 5-10 minutes tops. When you're done, ask her to sit, praise and treat.
With any luck she'll let out a sigh. (good sign, she's been working and thinking)
Try it for a few days and see if it starts to make a difference.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Shasta pulls just as much with the easy walk harness as she does with her flat collar. As far as I can tell, the only benefit - and it's a big one - is that she doesn't choke herself and make those awful, awful gasping noises. I'm counting down the days until she's old enough for a prong collar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts